BlackVoid
cameronl35

Porn should be legal

BlackVoid

BlackVoid

Pro

Thanks to cameronl35 for accepting this interesting debate. This is for the semi-final round of Weirdo Weirdman's tournament. Looking forward to it.

I'll argue porn should be legal, con will argue it should be illegal. Standard debating rules.

I don't think definitions are necesary, but if Con wants, I'll add them.

First round is acceptance. Good luck.
cameronl35

Con

I accept. Definitions aren't really neccessary but I think this should be a debate in terms of morality as well as social application. Thanks, BlackVoid, for proposing this very interesting and controversial topic.

I will be arguing that Pornography should not be legal. Burden of proof is on both sides. I look forward to BlackVoid's case and a very interesting debate!
BlackVoid

Pro

Thanks for accepting. Ill start by showing why porn is good.

C1: Porn reduces crime

Anthony Amato of Northwestern University found that "the incidence of rape in the United States has declined 85% in the past 25 years while access to pornography has become freely available to teenagers and adults (1)."

"Pornography is more available and consumed than ever before—8,500 adult films are produced each year. At the same time, according to FBI statistics, the incidence of rape has decreased....violent crime rates, including rape and sexual assault, are among the lowest since records began being kept in 1973" (2)

This change can be most attributed to pornography access. Amato theorizes that pornography reduces sexual tension by allowing potential criminals to "get it out of their system". Their sexual desires can be expressed in video rather than forced on someone in real life. Additionally, rape is against the law, so porn videos cant show it or pretend like a video is about rape. This means that most porn videos show consensual partners, which can subliminally send the message that consensual = good. Finally, porn is often vulgar or cynical in nature, so aggressive men use it to get their fix of testosterone instead of raping someone.

A comparison can be made to violent movies. We often think that viewing violent or sexual acts makes our brains more aggressive and more likely to be prone to such things. However, violent crimes actually decrease during and after the hours that violent movies are shown (3). The same page estimates that 1000 crimes are prevented each weekend by violent films. We can extend this logic to pornography. If watching violent movies empirically reduces violent crime, it logically follows that watching porn could reduce sex crimes. This conclusion is supported by my empirical evidence given at the top.

C2: Economy

Making porn illegal would have severe ramifications on the economy. Globally, the porn industry generates over $97 billion dollars a year (4). Thats also a lot of tax revenue govements will have to live without.

There'd also be an employment problem. For instance, in California over 12,00 jobs are provided by porn (5).
Globally it supplies hundreds of thousands, if not millions of them. Seeing as the world, and the United States in particular, isn't doing to well on the economic scale right now, we need all the jobs we can get.

C3: Harm principle

The harm principle tells us what actions we can justifiably take. Mill writes, "the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (6)

Prefer a Harm Principle (or some people call it, Libertarian) framework. At the point where we limit the individual's right to do what they want with themselves, we reduce everyone's inherent right to freedom. For instance, we can try to *persuade* an obese person to diet and lose weight, but if we use violence to force them to do it, we're impeding on their basic right to freedom by controlling meager things like what foods they eat. As such, we should only limit actions (or make them illegal) if they're impeding on someone else's rights involuntarily.

At first glance, pornography doesn't seem to hurt anybody. All participants are volunteers for the job, and no one is damaged by having sex next to a camera. As previously shown, pornography reduces crime rather than increasing it, so it doesn't have any bad impacts on the external world. The participants themselves aren't harmed either. However, even if they were, it doesn't matter because acting in porn is voluntary. We respect the freedom of others and allow them to do whatever they want to themselves so long as they aren't harming anyone else. So even if harm could be linked to those engaging in pornographic activities, that not a reason to ban it.

In other words, since porn is participated in voluntarily and watched voluntarily, Pro must show that porn is causing some terrible thing to happen that overrides our right to autonomy to justify suppressing it.

I look forward to my opponent's response.

1. http://anthonydamato.law.northwestern.edu......
2. http://www.radfordreviews.com......
3. http://businessshrink.biz......
4. http://internet-filter-review.toptenreviews.com...
5. http://www.blazinggrace.org...
6. http://www.seop.leeds.ac.uk...
cameronl35

Con

BlackVoid's incredible case has overpowered my minuscule comprehension of morality and society thus leading me to forfeit. Vote PRO
BlackVoid

Pro

Not if I forfeit first!

Wait...damn.

Vote pro I guess.

cameronl35

Con

Vote PRO....but don't watch porn. It's bad for you.

Conclusion:
Even though I have technically forfeited I think the voters should vote on the individual that has proposed the best argument. We can further establish the criteria my opponent is advocating for is SQUAT. IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING. Now looking back at the reason I have supplied: Porn is bad, we can come to the conclusion that the only viable and correct vote would be for CON.
BlackVoid

Pro

1. If I like something, it must be good.
2. I like porn.
3. Therefore, porn is good.

My opponent's argument is extremely strong, but it pales in comparison to my undeniably sound syllogism.
cameronl35

Con

We can now come to the conclusion that what my opponent is saying is BSSSS!! Let's flip his terrible syllogism!

1. If I don't like something, it isn't good

2. I don't like porn.

3. Therefore, porn isn't good.

BOOOM! REFUTED! This is why you should vote CON.

Another reason: Pro is clearly a liberal. All liberals are for porn. To exemplify the absurdity and fradulence of what my opponent is discussing, I refer back to an extremely experienced debater and one who has changed the psychology and ideas of all debate.org members, Crypto.

Crypto: "All liberals are morons! They all lie! LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR"

Thus my opponent is not only a liberal, but a liar. He also goes against one of the greatest philosophers of modern time, Crypto. Obviously you most vote CON.

Posted by Cobo 5 years ago
Cobo
Isn't porn legal already?
It just isn't legal for any of our age to watch....
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
Why did I re read this... Lol

Also over dumb is not spelled "dum " do what I say not as I do.
Posted by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
SCREW ALL YOU LIBERALS!!!! This was clearly a con victory...
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
The significance of this victory is bigger than all of us. Thank you, BlackVoid. Thank you.
Posted by EMOburrito309 5 years ago
EMOburrito309
cameron is a commie! get outta here you communist! PRO PORN!!
Posted by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
@Defensor, it was a joke
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
Apollo, that syllogism wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
Posted by Defensor-of-Apollo 5 years ago
Defensor-of-Apollo
That's not how you flip an if-then statement. If p then q should be flipped to if not q en not p. But either way if you like something doesn't make it good. That's BS and illogical.
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
Well..that was dum...
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
Well Texas LD basically *is* policy.
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 5 years ago
InVinoVeritas
BlackVoidcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Close call.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
BlackVoidcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: porns bad man, its insidious...like marijuana...but con gave up...but...yeah if he didn't that crypto argument would have been funny. Remember porn in bad. But we have the first amendment...so I am undecided.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
BlackVoidcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con technically won with his quote of Crypto, but since he had already forfieted by that time, I have to award points to Black Void.
Vote Placed by Double_R 5 years ago
Double_R
BlackVoidcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's last round was amazing, however it wasn't quite enough.
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 5 years ago
SuperRobotWars
BlackVoidcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Wow, just wow.
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
BlackVoidcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Don't rape, watch porn instead.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
BlackVoidcameronl35Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded and also seemingly lost his mind. Shame.