ProfJacob
I-AM-AWESOME

Pornography exploits women

ProfJacob

ProfJacob

Pro

Rules

1. No plagiarism. In other words, don't copy someone else's work and claim it as your own.

2. You may only troll when things get completely out of hand.

3. The BoP (Burden of Proof) is shared.

If you fail to comply with the rules listed above, 7 points will automatically be deducted from you.

Presentation

In pornography, it is intended for one's sexual arousal/excitement, not for making love. When there is sexual intercourse between two, both have consented to it, thus not being considered (And rightfully so) rape[1]. If either one hasn't, it would be. However, one may have initiated it to their advantage. However, he/she, the initiater, is not to blame, seeing as his/her partner consented to it.

Also, to those people (Like feminists), why are you sexist? It doesn't only exploit (Take advantage of[2]) women. It can also exploit men. Your fraudulent accusations are surely pitiful.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...

[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
I-AM-AWESOME

Con

I accept this debate.
ProfJacob

Pro

Con, I already presented my arguments in R1. You may now both present your arguments and refute my arguments.
I-AM-AWESOME

Con

If the woman is fine with it than it isn't exploitation. She has a choice.
ProfJacob

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate and for the quick response.

Rebuttals

"If the woman is fine with it than it isn't exploitation. She has a choice."

Yes. True. The woman consents to it. Same with her partner. However, it can still be exploitation. Say, the man initiated (Asked for consent from partner (Woman, in this case), and did so) sexual intercourse for the sake of her different characteristics, relative to the man, thus being exploitation.

I await my opponent's next set of arguments.
I-AM-AWESOME

Con

I agree with the majority of what you are saying, and I agree that it exploits women, but if they are getting paid to do it and they agree to it ( and they are not drunk or high.) and it is legal (by legal I mean over 18) hen i isn't exploitation. I await your response thank you.
ProfJacob

Pro

Rebuttals

"but if they are getting paid to do it and they agree to it ( and they are not drunk or high.) and it is legal (by legal I mean over 18) hen i isn't exploitation."

Ah. But like said, say, the man initiated (Asked for consent from partner (Woman, in this case), and did so) sexual intercourse for the sake of her different characteristics, relative to the man, thus being exploitation, even if consented to my the partner.

I await my opponent's next set of arguments! :)

I-AM-AWESOME

Con

Oh well that is really horrible and I think she should sue the man if he does that. If she agrees to it and wants to do it then it still isn't exploitation by definition. Thank you I await your reply.
ProfJacob

Pro

Rebuttals

"If she agrees to it and wants to do it then it still isn't exploitation by definition"

The definition of exploit is "to take advantage of[1]". So, I will use my example again (And don't confuse example with definition; example is simply context): say, the man initiated (Asked for consent from partner (Woman, in this case), and did so) sexual intercourse for the sake of her different characteristics, relative to the man, thus being exploitation, even if the woman consented to it.

I await your next set of arguments! :D

Source

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
I-AM-AWESOME

Con

exploit
verb |ikG2;sploit| [ trans. ]
make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource) : 500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology.
" use (a situation or person) in an unfair or selfish way : the company was exploiting a legal loophole | accusations that he exploited a wealthy patient.
" benefit unfairly from the work of (someone), typically by overworking or underpaying them : making money does not always mean exploiting others.
-The second college edition of The American Heritage Dictionary
It all comes down to if she wants to do it. We live in the greatest country on earth where you have a choice on what you can do or not.
Thank you you are a great debater and I wish you the best of luck. Bye
I-AM-AWESOME 2014!
Posted by mrsatan 3 years ago
mrsatan
There are certainly scenarios where pornography is exploitation, regardless of gender, such as when one party has not consented to being videotaped (even if they've consented to having sex). However, if all parties involved in the pornography's making are fully aware/accepting of it and are benefitting from it, then it is not exploitation as no one is being used unfairly. It's essentially no different from any other business deal (although said business is probably more enjoyable than most).
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
I might have liked to have seen more of how society pressures women to take on certain roles, but nice debate as it stands.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
A very old and still controversial debate =D. I think it is exploitative, and I also tend to think prostitution is too, but that's just me. There are tons of brilliant scholars and activists who would disagree vehemently with me or agree venhimently. These might be the single most contriversial topics in feminism right now. Thanks for sharing! Nice reading
Posted by SNP1 3 years ago
SNP1
It truly doesn't exploit woman as the woman choose to do it. It gives an unrealistic view of sex, but that is not exploitation. Do I think the porn industry goes to far? Yes. Do I think that online porn does? Not really. All pornography does is affect the watchers, if the watchers take something from it than they were either too young or had a slight mental defect to allow them to think that porn is accurate. I would take cons side for this argument, but I do think that the porn industry takes things too far.
Posted by ProfJacob 3 years ago
ProfJacob
I should've included "Some" in between the words "exploit" and "women". If my opponent accepted the debate for that particular/sole reason, then I apologize for misunderstanding for missing such key words.
Posted by ProfJacob 3 years ago
ProfJacob
Knight, I suggest reading the whole text again. Actually, no. I'll make a direct quotation of my argument supporting my claim that pornography exploits women:

"However, one may have initiated it to their advantage. However, he/she, the initiater, is not to blame, seeing as his/her partner consented to it."
Posted by KnightArtorias 3 years ago
KnightArtorias
Wait...so...are you arguing that pornography exploits women, or that it doesn't? You took Pro, but your R1 post sounds like a Con argument.
Posted by Finalfan 3 years ago
Finalfan
Interesting. Unfortunately for con, pornography does exploit women.. but who's to say that is wrong, especially considering that being in porn movies is a personal choice regardless if the nature of the video is to exploit women's sexuality! It does provide an unrealistic view of sex however and can cause psychological disorders including sex anorexia! So I guess the answer would be yes, but the issue comes from the addiction to pornography which causes an actual problem and not just a moral dispute! So pornography should still exist there should just be more awareness of addiction (which is the same for anything)
Vote Placed by codemeister13 3 years ago
codemeister13
ProfJacobI-AM-AWESOMETied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had no issue citing sources when they were necessary and his arguments stood nearly untouched by Con. Con failed to provide evidence for his arguments or back them up.
Vote Placed by UltimateRussian 3 years ago
UltimateRussian
ProfJacobI-AM-AWESOMETied
Reasons for voting decision: This is clear as con used no proofs
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
ProfJacobI-AM-AWESOMETied
Reasons for voting decision: Con actually conceded that pirnography exploits women. Arguments pro.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
ProfJacobI-AM-AWESOMETied
Reasons for voting decision: I find Con's arguments sound. If women gets paid and agree, it doesn't mean exploitation. However Pro's refutation was not enough according to me.
Vote Placed by Deathmonkey7 3 years ago
Deathmonkey7
ProfJacobI-AM-AWESOMETied
Reasons for voting decision: Con only had one contention and failed to back it up.
Vote Placed by TheAmazingAtheist1 3 years ago
TheAmazingAtheist1
ProfJacobI-AM-AWESOMETied
Reasons for voting decision: S&G: Cone made spelling mistakes such as "hen" and "i". ARGUMENTS: I believe Pro's arguments made more rational sense, and were formally formatted. SOURCES: Pro cited a source for his definition, as Con didn't.