JMMachell
letitbeeeee

Pornography is Good

JMMachell

Con

While I'm certain suggestive/explicit media has been used by humans since humans became humans, It seems it is much, much more abundant in our era. If you look into Pompeii, it was like the pervert capital of ancient Rome. Not to mention all sorts of other figures/drawings/paintings/sculptures done by early humans.

The pornography we have these days is much more explicit and widespread. And it seems with the advent of the internet, and then the smartphone, it is becoming more of a socially organic phenomena than of a shameful, masculine one.

These are all opinions, yet sometimes I still see that it may to real damage. If not real, then perceived in a moral sense.

Yet its use is emerging as a natural, and healthy expression of personal sexuality that doesn't have the same stigma it may have.

Yet the older I get, and I guess the different stuff I get into, I can't with an honest conscience say I think it is good.
letitbeeeee

Pro

Hola folks,

We, on side contender, love pornography. We don't love pornography only for its aesthetic appeal. We love porn because it serves a purpose in our society. This purpose, we claim, overshadows any negative impact side instigator can think of.

Here are the arguments we will be bringing to you today:

1) Pornography plays a large part in destigmatizing sex and this has many positive impacts on society and particularly females

2) By claiming that pornography is not good, we to an extent marginalize people for their sexuality whereas by claiming pornography is good we choose to affirm the notion that weird sexual preferences are totally okay

3) Porn has a bunch of direct health and lifestyle benefits

And finally the point that I will be elaborating on in my constructive below...

4) By standing behind the assertion that porn is bad, we are allowing society to infringe upon the right to freedom of personal sexual expression.

What do I mean by the above point. We wish to protect the right to expression of justified sexual liberties, nay, all personal liberties from being infringed upon by societal pressure. In a world where society's definition of norms moves from serving to protect civil rights and instead to asserting subjective value judgements that are vastly incongruous with large segments of the populations' beliefs, individuals do not feel okay with expressing themselves in ways in which they have the right to do so.

When it comes to sexual activity, I think it is fair to adopt the perspective the the government retains the right to limit your sexual activity only in circumstances in which you are bringing harm to others or extreme harm to yourself. In other cases, an individual's ownership of their own person triumphs. If someone chooses to watch pornography in the privacy of their own home, they should be free to do so as this is a decision that they retain the right to make as owners of their own body. Thus we don't think that society actually has the right to some how infringe upon the consumption of pornography, by asserting the norm that porn is bad and if you watch porn then you too are somewhat bad. It would be akin to society claiming that Muslims are bad. Perhaps these Muslims still retain the right to practice their religion. They damn well will feel pressured by society not to. Society cannot assert such power. When we set the precedent that norms that limit civil liberties are okay, we set a precedent in which people believe it is okay to and effective to set such norms. We don't want to live in a society where people believe it's okay to establish such inhibitory norms to manipulate the behavior of the masses and prevent them from exercising their rights. We think that rights ought to be protected and allowed to be openly exercised. Moreover we fear that the normalization of norm-setting in regards to personal liberty is far too much power for society to wield, as particular groups will have incentive to stigmatize particular actions in line with an individuals civil liberties and as such marginalize said group.

With that I invite my opposition to chime in. In the next few rounds I will elaborate on my previously listed points of construction and hope to rebut the instigator's arguments.
JMMachell

Con

JMMachell forfeited this round.
letitbeeeee

Pro

letitbeeeee forfeited this round.
JMMachell

Con

JMMachell forfeited this round.
letitbeeeee

Pro

letitbeeeee forfeited this round.
JMMachell

Con

JMMachell forfeited this round.
letitbeeeee

Pro

letitbeeeee forfeited this round.
JMMachell

Con

JMMachell forfeited this round.
letitbeeeee

Pro

letitbeeeee forfeited this round.
Posted by ben671176 2 years ago
ben671176
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The majority of men, gay and straight, have tasted their own semen" and liked it
A 2010 questionnaire found that 57 percent of men surveyed had tasted their own semen and enjoyed the flavor, compared to 11 percent who said they did not enjoy it. 22 percent of men surveyed said they had not tasted their own semen, compared to 7 percent who said they had done so, but on accident. 2 percent of men surveyed said that they had never tasted their own semen, but they had tasted semen belonging to another man. Fascinating.