Max_Goodman
thebestdebate

Positive discrimination is worst than negative discrimination

Max_Goodman

Pro

Ok, I did make the title quite clickbaity, i wouldn't prefer to be attacked by racists than get a job. However, I do dislike positive discrimination.

Round 1 = Starting statement

Round 2= Rebuttals

Round 3= Second statement

Round 4= Rebuttals

Round 5= Closing statement / Conclusion

I am a white male, if I applied for a job in Japan or Korea and got told I only got the job because I am white, I would be pretty annoyed. I would feel bad, I might not have been the best for the job. It's stupid. Companies like Facebook and Apple need to hire minorities for the "Diversity report" but wouldn't it be more fair and diverse if you hired people for their skill not their skin colour.
thebestdebate

Con

Hello! My name is Matthew. I am a formal debater, competing in Mock Congress for the Pennsylvania High School Speech League, states qualifier. I accept this debate.

I stand in a similar belief with you: positive discrimination is ridiculous. However, it really isn't as bad as "negative" discrimination.

Thank you for this debate! I look forward to it!
Max_Goodman

Pro

Did you even read the first part

a) I said the title was clickbaity and that I don't argee that it is worst than all forms, I would rather get a job then get attacked.

b) I said round 1 was for starting statements and you didn't even post a starting statement
thebestdebate

Con

I apologize. I hadn't read the rules very well. I will include my opening statement and my rebutal to yours in this round then. Again, I apologize for not reading the rules clearly.

As defined by the resolution, there are two types of discrimination: positive and negative. The title of this debate is "Positive discrimination is Worst (Worse) than Negative Discrimination." As Con I will be arguing that "positive" discrimination is not worse than "negative" discrimination. Allow me to begin...

My first look at this resolution puzzled me. How can positive discrimination be worse than negative discrimination. Let us first describe discrimination: "the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people [1]." As implied by Pro, there are two kinds of discrimination: negative, a more racist form, such as segregation and similar, and positive, where minorities or certain groups are treated with special privileges, such as in the case of affirmative action. My original though was, "how can positive discriminatioin be worse than negative discrimination?" After some thought, I came to this conclusion: it's not. I completely agree that it is unfair, but in no way can it be worse than negative. In the past, what we would call "negative discrimination," was a major problem. Blacks were treated with great disrespect. They couldn't go to the same schools as whites, they couldn't marry people of the contrasting color, they couldn't even do something as trivial as using the same water fountain as whites. This was negative discrimination at its worst. However, today, we suffer from a different type of discrimination: positive discrimination. This is when, say blacks or hispanics, are given special privileges for being minorities. Employers, places of education, government, and more, all have to meet a sort of quota of how many people of color or of some minority group must attend or be a member. This is what we describe as "positive discrimination." This kind of discrimination is almost absurd. It rebukes the purpose of the civil rights movement. However, as much as it is unfair, it is not worse than negative discrimination. Having a better chance of getting a scholarship or a job for being a minority is nowhere close to being half as bad as being segregated, let alone being worse. We need to realize that negative discrimination is and always will be worse that positive discrimination, to any extent.

Considering all these things, I believe that the only sensible choice is to vote in the negation of this resolution.

Thank you. Vote Con.

Works Cited:

[1] Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 03 May 2016. <http://www.merriam-webster.com...;.

Max_Goodman

Pro

Max_Goodman forfeited this round.
thebestdebate

Con

I understand I had misread the rules, but that shouldn't be so bad of an issue that you decide to forfeit your turn. I ask that this debate continue. I extend all of my points and I ask for my opponent to continue this debate.
Max_Goodman

Pro

Max_Goodman forfeited this round.
thebestdebate

Con

As we near the final round, I ask that this debate is at least finished. I extend all of my points.
Max_Goodman

Pro

Max_Goodman forfeited this round.
thebestdebate

Con

I believe the choice is clear. Pro has not challenged any of my contentions. I have no more need to extend my points, as they remain completely unchallenged.

Thank you. Please vote Con.
Posted by thebestdebate 1 year ago
thebestdebate
I thought the opening statement was just the opening statement. The rules were a bit cloudy (at least for me).

I mention my experience as a formality and an introduction to who I am. I feel it makes the debate more friendly and I like that. It's not really a Congress thing.
Posted by Nac 1 year ago
Nac
@thebestdebate

I don't believe it is the major infraction you think it is. It is most commonly called the constructive case, not "starting statements." However, I am quite curious as to why you mentioned your debate experience in your opening statement. Is it common to do so in mock congress?
Posted by thebestdebate 1 year ago
thebestdebate
I misread the rules. Please accept my apologies