DebateHero82
Zaradi

Posting an arrest photo online-Part 2.

Zaradi

DebateHero82

Con

There are plenty of people who have charges dropped or shouldn't have been arrested in the first place. They haven't even had the chance to defend themselves yet and now it is right there for the public to see you in an unflattering pose against your will. Most people assume you are guilty or did something wrong just for being arrested and there are a lot of applications and forms now that require you put down your arrest record even if you were not convicted so merely being arrested is a punishment in and of itself. Can somebody give me a reason why this should be the case other than that is what some politician or judge says or some body's convoluted interpretation of the constitution. And no, don't give me this democracy crap we all know this was never put on some federal ballot and not everybody votes anyway. Give me a philosophical reason why somebody should be shamed and have their personal business be available to everybody.

I have already started to debate this topic with somebody but they appear to have abandoned the argument so if you could read over the points they have made so far and continue. I realize you might not feel exactly as they do but if you could just summarize or reconcile your views with theirs so we could continue this argument.

http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi

Pro

I accept. Since this is just a remake of a previous debate, the resolution given is below.

It right that someone's arrest photo is posted online.

My opponent must prove that it is not right that someone's arrest photo should be posted online.
I must prove that it's sometimes alright that someone's arrest photo should be posted online. If I can even prove one situation where this would be helpful or good, then you affirm.

As the instigator, and the one proposing a shift in the status quo, the BOP is on my opponent, but we will both be encouraged to present arguments of our own.

Since BOP is on him, I will be fair and let him have the first say.
DebateHero82

Con

go ahead with your argument. i don't care about the technicalities or being pro or con or having this argument judged or getting points or whatever else the rules of this web site. I already stated this if you look at the last argument on the link I provided. If you read that like you should have you will already see my position. I am looking for counter arguments beyond what the previous guy already said and looking you for you to specifically address my arguments.
Zaradi

Pro

Fair enough. Although I really don't see what's wrong with your other opponent's points (they're perfectly legitimate and good arguments), I will expand on them as well as provide other arguments.

A1: "Semantics"

I don't really like the word semantics when using a definition to make an argument, mainly because I'm a fan of critical argumentation, but as you seem to view it as such, I will respectfully use the same term.

As you use the term "Someone", you make a generalized statement that it's not right for ANYONE'S mug-shot to be put up on the internet. While I agree, there are certain instances where a mug-shot shouldn't have been put up, there are also many instances where a mug-shot SHOULD be put up and made accessible to the public to aid in police and investigative endeavors (such as looking for a fugitive or a mass murderer who is currently on the loose). For a speeding ticket or DUI? Probably not. But there are plenty of cases where one should be put up, thus we shouldn't prohibit ourselves from acting in those situations just because in other situations it would be wrong.

A2: Philosophical Approach

As you stated interest in arguing a philosophical reason why we should allow people's mug-shots to be posted on the internet, I will entertain this with a very utilitarian-like argument.

In a nutshell, the entire premise of utilitarianism is that we ought to maximize the greatest amount of pleasure for the greatest amount of people while minimzing the most amount of pain possible for the most amount of people possible. I.e. if I have to kill one person to save five, the 5 lives saved would be viewed as outweighing the one life lost, and be an acceptable action for me to kill the one person in the mind of a utilitarian. So in a utilitarian mindset, if posting the pictures up on the internet would outweigh the violation of privacy, then it would be a fair and permissible trade-off. Let's look at a few examples of the benefits of posting anyone's pictures for crimes and misdemeanors online.

P1: Records

Simply enough, it's necessary for us to keep a track of people's criminal records in case those records are needed for an outside reason. Posting the information on the internet is a convenient place to store them, as it can be accessed from anywhere that has internet connection and a computer or mobile device of some sort. So better governmental organization would be a benefit.

P2: Jobs

Imagine if you're applying for a job at a security company. As the company works in providing security, they want to be secure themselves. So for all potential employees, they want to see what crimes they've been charged or convicted of and when they occured. If it's all stored on the internet, access to this would be convenient for the interviewers and the applicants to be able to pull up and present without any sort of delay. Ease of interviewing would be a benefit.

P3: Trials

When a person has been arrested and is going on trial, for one reason or another, their record is often used or at least examined to determine if this is something that he would plausibly do or not. If a person has a spotless record and is being charged of murdering ten people, he's probably not the right guy. If a person has a record of arson and is being charged with burning down a store, you're probably on the right track. Posting the information on the internet allows this information to become accessable in a moment's notice. The increase in ability to convict the right person and aquit the innocent person would be a benefit.

So under a utilitarian framework, posting the pictures on the internet would be something that outweighed the harms and provided more good than pain. Thus, it would be a permissible action.
DebateHero82

Con

DebateHero82 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Pro

Extend my arguments.
DebateHero82

Con

DebateHero82 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Pro

Extend
dnetxE
DebateHero82

Con

DebateHero82 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Pro

Well this was lame.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
DebateHero82ZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit by Con.
Vote Placed by Travniki 5 years ago
Travniki
DebateHero82ZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: ,,,,
Vote Placed by royalpaladin 5 years ago
royalpaladin
DebateHero82ZaradiTied