Pot/Weed: Drug Or Medicine?

Pot/Weed is a medicine NOT a drug!!!! I had a "Doctor" say it is a drug, but it is medical! I believe it should be up to people to decide for them self!!!!

The resolution isn't completely clear, nor is there any stipulation that I must argue, as Con, that Pot/Weed is either a drug or a medicine. Rather, Pro contends that it must be one or the other, or in his case, it is not a drug but a medicine. Therefore, the resolution from his first argument is this:

Pot is not a drug, but a medicine.

In order to win this debate, I must negate the resolution in some way. I can do that by pointing out that drug and medicine are not mutually exclusive. In fact, prescription drugs that you may take, perhaps as painkillers, are also a medicine, yet we call them "drugs."

Let us also turn to a definition of "drug" from the well-trusted Merriam-Webster (

1. a substance that is used as a medicine

2. an illegal and often harmful substance (such as heroin, cocaine, LSD, or marijuana) that people take for pleasure"

Pro's insinuation is that Pot is a medicine only, but this definition of drug is inclusive of medicine. It also includes other illegal substances -- and, mind you, marijuana is still illegal in most states and there are federal law against it, so it still technically meets this definition, whether you think it should be legal or not.

Notice also that it says that these illegal substances are "sometimes harmful." This means that the drugs, like for instance marijuana, could in fact have positive impacts. I believe that marijuana does and it should be legal across the country as a medicine. But this does not negate the fact that it is a a drug. My opponent has his definiitons confused.

I have negated my opponent's resolution with an appeal to a dictionary. I highly advise that you vote Con.

Pot is curing problems!!!!! Pot is a medicine and people need to mind their own business and let people decide 4 them self!!!!

It appears that my opponent has evaded my arguments. I AGREE that pot is a medicine, but that doesn't mean that it isn't also a drug.

I really dont like this, but i believe that the USA is just being stupid!!!! People are smart enough to choose 4 them self!!!! I dont understand why the USA is soooooo noisey!!!! That is why i am all for pot!!!!

There really isn't much to say. This debate has devolved into de facto anarchy. I made my case already, which hasn't been refuted, so I'll leave it at that and continue to extend.

I have made my point as well I just think that people need to mind their own business and allow people to decide 4 them self!!!!

If that's the case, your resolution should have been "pot should be legal for medicinal purposes," not that it isn't a drug.

Yes it is a medicine!!!! It can be a drug though!!!!

May the records show that by admitting that pot is also a drug, Pro has conceded this debate.

Vote Con.
Posted by JohnMaynardKeynes 2 years ago
He didn't specify and his first argument suggests a different resolution, so I'm simply arguing that pot can be both a medicine and a drug.
Posted by numberwang 2 years ago
Which is drug and which is medicine? And I agree with aburk, it can be and is both.
Posted by aburk903 2 years ago
Most medicines are also drugs. They're called prescription drugs.
Vote Placed by cbcullen84 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never argued his originally stated side of the debate, nor did he provide anything that resembled an intelligible argument. Pro didn't refute any of Con's arguments while Con effectively acknowledged Pro's point and then refuted it effectively...Conduct to Con. Spelling and Grammar to Con (If not obvious) because Pro's use of Valley Girl grammar and spelling is offensive to those of us who speak English. Convincing Arguments to Con simply because he didn't reinforce his points with 10 exclamation points per sentence. Reliable sources to Con for referencing Merriam Webster's Dictionary. Pro has effectively made a solid case for outlawing Pot/Marijuana...his irrational arguments cast a dim idiot light on the masses of people who use the substance.