Praying curses on enemies is permitted in the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures

Voting Style: Judge Point System: 7 Point

See "Debate settings" to view judges. Non-Christians may also debate, but must use Scripture and stay on topic.

I know this might be a frightening concept, but i believe that praying curses on enemies is permitted as Christians only in extreme situations and as a last resort. God is loving and merciful to those who repent and seek him, but he also passes judgement and fights against those who hate him.

First Round Acceptance

it is impossible to pray for a curse on someone else. We live in a world where whatever I sow I will reap. If I sow evil on people I will reap evil on myself, If I sow good on people I will reap good. In other words whatever I do to you it will be done unto me. It is impossible to pray a curse on someone when you are cursing yourself as well. Look at Pharaoh from the Bible he cursed all the Jews that all the first-born male children would be killed including Moses's children and in reality he cursed himself and his own child.

Cursing in the Bible done by pagans is defined as the malicious intent to invoke harm another person usually involving spirits using amulets and magic. The Jewish/Christian concept however is different. There are several things that are forbidden.

1) Cursing someone out of hate or dislike. Leviticus 19:18 tells us to not bear grudges and love our neighbors.

2) Using black magic and witchcraft. Leviticus 26:6 forbids the use of it.

3) Cursing another believer. Believers are under the protection and sanctification of Jesus Christ (Galatians19:3). Therefore any attempt to harm them will not work.

Now why do I say that cursing is permitted? The Torah outlines the concept of blessing and curses.

Deut. 28 gives the blessings for obedience to the law and curses for disobedience.

Gen. 12:3 "I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you."

Now most would probably associate health with God and sickness of Satan, but the ancient mind didn't think in those terms. Everything both good and bad came from God (Isaiah 45:7). God would curse those who cursed Abraham, the forefather of our faith. Pronouncing curses on people was done when they have violated God's justice.

Here are examples of people being cursed for sinning against God.

Gen. 9:24 ".. Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his younger brothers.. "

Noah cursed the children of Ham for their sexual perversion.

Gen. 12 : 17 "But the LORD sent terrible plagues on Pharoah and his household because of Abraham's wife, Sarah. "

Exodus 10 God pronounces curses on Egypt.

Joshua 6:26 "At that time, Joshua pronounced this solemn oath : 'cursed before the LORD is the man who undertakes to rebuild this city, Jericho: 'at the cost of his firstborn son will he lay its foundations;at the cost of his youngest will he set up its gates."

Judges 9:57 "God also made the man of Shechem pay for all their wickedness. The curse of Jotham son of Jerub-Baal came upon them. "

2 Kings 2:23-24 "23 from there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you bald head! 24 he turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord.then two bears came out of the woods and mauled 42 of the youths. 25 and he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria."

Not only did Elisha have to defend himself, they were also blaspheming against God.

2nd Kings 1:9-16 tells of an account between a group of men and Elijah. He calls down and consumes them. He then declares that the king would die.

We find several verses where God is loving and compassionate towards those who turn to him, but pours his righteous wrath upon those who hate him by living in sin and rebellion. Some would argue that Jesus taught us to love and pray for our enemies and I agree that we should, but there are some exceptions in which I will explain later. A curse may not necessarily kill, but simply punish. God ultimately wants everyone to know the love and mercy coming through Jesus Christ, but to begin the Messianic age, Jesus will come as a warrior king executing judgement on those who turned against him (Rev. 19:11-21.)

Exodus 23:20-33 God places an angel before Israel to fight against their enemies.

Many of the Psalms speak of God unleashing his wrath upon the wicked for example Psalm 2 and most notably Psalm 58:6-8 says "6 break the teeth in their mouths, o God; tear out, o lord, the fangs of the lions! let them vanish like water that flows away; when they draw the bow, let their arrows be blunted Like a slug melting away as it move along, like it still born child, mayday not see the sun."

That being said, the concept of cursing for believers should not be to bear grudges against evil doers, but pray that God's justice would be done.

Let's look at some examples in the New Testament where we find people being cursed by believers.

Acts 13:10-12 "You are a child of the devil and an enemy of everything that is right! You are full of all kinds of deceit and trickery. Will you never stop perverting the right ways of the Lord? 11 Now the hand of the Lord is against you. You are going to be blind and for a time you will be unable to see the light of the Sun." immediately mist and darkness came over him, and he groped about, seeking someone to lead him by the hand. 12 when the proconsul saw what happened, he believed, for he was amazed at the teaching about the LORD. "

Paul was confronted by a sorcerer who tried to prevent the Gospel from being spread. Verse 9 says that Paul was moved by the Holy Spirit to pronounce a curse upon him.

In conclusion, cursing others should never be done unless God's spirit moves a believer to pronounce judgement for the sake of the Gospel. Believers should never act out of selfish anger but in righteousness that for those who seek to commit evil, God will justly bring evil upon their own heads.

noone2345 forfeited this round.

Rest my case

noone2345 forfeited this round.

rest my case

noone2345 forfeited this round.

Rest my case.

noone2345 forfeited this round.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago

I just read the Bible like it was meant to be read --- one letter at a time. From what I raed, it says God gives wealth if you have faith. Sure, heaven is nice, but we should have nice things here, too. To many sissy Christians are foregoing careers to uplift people in Third World countries when they should be here in America, showing the world how rich God makes people who love him. Why do you think he took America from the Indians and gave it to the Christians? Because Christains love him more.

The Bible never speaks against rich people but it says a lot about poor people.

I quote the Book of James:

"Go to now, ye poor men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you."

"For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the poor man fade away in his ways."

And remember the story of Lazarus and the poor man. Lazarus was rich and he went to heaven, whereas the poor man was in hell, burning because of his lack of faith. He said, "Give me one drop of water just to wet my tongue", because hell is hotter than you can even imagine.

Cheyennebodie will tell you. He knows his stuff. Good Bible preaching for sure.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
@mightbenihilismYou seem to have a very narrow minded idea about what that scripture says.The scripture means that he would like to see you do well in life. Your idea that bad things happen because your a bad person is flawed. We receive trials as a test of faith, not a determination of how much you have. In fact, the ones with more faith are often tested more and to higher degrees than those of little faith. Job is the best example. He lost his family, property, animals, and was covered with boils. Everyone around him told him he should repent because he had obviously done something wrong.Job hadn't but cried to the Lord anyway and what happened? He grew in faith and was strengthened from the experience. He got a new and more loyal wife and family, got double the amount of property he had before, and was completely cured. I do not remember the verse or the quote of where this came from but one of the best explanations is "First I must bring you low before I can raise you up." Then we point out the Apostles who died because of their faith. I then point out that not all blessings come while on Earth. Some are in Heaven. As for Jesus and his disciples being rich, the disciples were pretty half and half with more poor than rich. Actually, now that I think of it, only one was moderately rich because he was a tax collector. The others were mainly fishermen and day to day workers as before with Jesus as the exception of a carpenter. Jesus had basically no money and lived off of who knows what. We know of the example of the fish and the bread so I assume that he could get food as needed.Also, if you think that we are only meant to be rich, then why is it when the young rich man who did everything right came to Jesus and said, "What else may I do to be saved." Jesus basically told him to sell everything he owned, give all his money to the poor, and follow Him. If Jesus just wanted us to be rich he would have told the man he was completely fine. Just some things to think of
Posted by Truth_seeker 2 years ago

Want to debate?
Posted by Jellon 2 years ago
Please define which Scriptures you are using. Hindu Scriptures, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, satanic, or something else.
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
because the Bible clearly states pray for your enemies. You are going to need to be specific. I am sure cursing your enemies will inevitably be regretful, as breaking eh law is always a regretful thing, Or you will regret denying that this is so.

In that regards. How can you bring hard to a man by cursing him. Surely the light is a more difficult thing to accept than darkness for a man whom a faithful man calls an enemy.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago

God clearly states in his word, "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." (3 John 1:2) So, if God wishes this above everything else, I'd say he gets his wish. Who is going to get their wish if not God? This means that if someone gets cancer, or shot, or is born in North Korea, Africa or Arabia, they're not prospering and they're not in health. Why? Because they don't have the word of faith. People suffer because they lack faith. This goes for all the martyrs and everyone else. Gpod sends no one to hell. That is up to you. God makes word clear to everybody in North Korea, and if they don't have the word of faith, Kim John Paul starves them to death. Its no one fault but their own.

Cheyennebodie says it more eloquent than I can do, but the bottom line is this: God is there to make you money and give you physical health, like the Bible says. Why were none of the Apostles stoned to death, I ask? Because God protected them with his word of faith. Its in the Bible, clear as day, but North Koreans dont understand. No do Arabians. Africans niether. I think anyone who has the word of faith has to get the blessings. Why did Jesus die, after all? He was made poor (killed) so we could be rich (with money). Its in the Bible and thats all that I know.

You make some good points but you got to get it out of the Bible. Jesus was a rich man and all his disciples were rich. Christianity is a religion of the rich, not the poor, because there are no poor Christians. Cant be. God makes 'em rich.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
"and man goes to town early in the day and hires many men for a good wage"
Change that to "a man goes to town early in the day and hires many men for a good wage". It is early in the day for me so sorry about my bad typing.
"If you read all of this then you know that the people appointed kings, even after God's warning. "
After reading this, I realized it was vague on what you were reading. I meant the Bible. Again, apologies.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
1. God did not only bless the "rich folks". I assume you mean the kings David and Solomon. If you read all of this then you know that the people appointed kings, even after God's warning. Also, both kings were extremely effective until they broke God's law. Then the kings themselves were under the "curse" category. Solomon died at David's hand and David was forever barred from entering the Celestial Kingdom because of his adultery.
2. The Christians who were killed for their faith and the ones who were not are not seen as different. In the parable of the workers, and man goes to town early in the day and hires many men for a good wage. He returns several hours after and hires about half that amount of men. He does this again three more times until he goes for the last time, with one hour(it may have been 2) of work left in the day and hires the few men remaining in town looking for work. When the work day ends, he goes and gives the original men their wage and proceeds to give all the other workers the same. Obviously, the original workers outcry at what they believe is injustice. They have worked the whole day to receive their wage while those who worked nothing but an hour received their wage equal to everyone else. The master explains to them that he gave them a wage, and it was a fair one. They worked for it and they received it and so have no quarrel with him. We also look at the setting. These people who worked all worked on a day to day basis. If you did not work, you did not eat. That was the harsh reality. Thus as the men who got work early received a good wage and a guarantee of feeding their families, is it not equivalent to those who stayed in town, alone all day, watching everyone else get work but themselves until, at the final hour, they were given work. Then the master says one thing I love. He says that he will give mercy to who he wishes, as no one else was told what wage they would even receive. I think that ends that.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
Yeah, it is a well known fact that the only so-called martyrs were "ye of little faiths". The real Christians in the centuries before Constantine had fat stacks of cash, big ol' horses to ride, buckets of olive oil, and lived luxuriously throughout the Mediterranean region. They were healthy, wealthy folk --- no sickness, no male pattern baldness at all. Meanwhile, the sissy Christians got eaten up by lions, stoned to death by Sanhedrins, heads lopped off, Crucified by Italian toga-wearers, etc. The fiery darts of the enemy made short work of them, as God intended.

Lesson: He who dies with the most toys wins. Don't forget it.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
There are two kingdoms that we have to do with. The kingdom of God and the kingdom of satan. Jesus made a distinction . He said, " the thief comes but to kill, steal and to destroy, I have come that you may have life in full abundance.

In the 28th chapter of Deuteronomy God lays out what you can do to be in one camp or the other.Adam , uniting with satan ,put man in the kingdom of satan.Satan now was the god of this world.If you walk in the concepts and precepts of God, you will be in the blessing. If you do not walk in God's concepts and precepts, you are automatically in the curse.No one has to pray anyone in that curse. If a man is walking with God, you cannot curse him. His shield of faith will stop ALL the fiery darts of the wicked.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited nearly the entire debate, which is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. S&G - Pro. Con started off his only round by failing to capitalize his sentence properly. I saw no such errors committed on Pro's part, hence he wins this point. Arguments - Pro. Con failed to provide rebuttals which left Pro's position remaining unchallenged. For this, Pro wins arguments. Sources - Pro. He utilized biblical verses to further validate his arguments, something Con failed to do. This is a clear win for Pro.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture