Grayneer
Spectacular

Praying in school

Spectacular

Grayneer

Con

R1- acceptance
Spectacular

Pro

I accept your challenge.

Yes, praying in school should definitely be allowed unless it causes unbearable distraction. I believe that praying to God is a form of righteousness and it should be promoted as much as possible. Separate prayer rooms should be constructed if in schools the students unanimously agree with praying to God.
Grayneer

Con

Let me refute your previous argument. I feel that your opening statement is biased, simply because it singles out on one religion, which is what I'm assuming to be Christianity. But what about other religions like Buddhism, or any other theistic religion for that matter? You cannot just infer that all of religion and prayer is equivalent to god and righteousness, that would be absurd! You need a better understanding of how broad prayer is.

[1] My father has this amazing joke he use to tell me. Conveniently, it goes perfectly with this matter. Anyway, this man is trying to survive a hurricane. He's a diligent catholic who hasn't missed a Sunday mass in his life. So what does he do during all of this? He prays to his savior that he will live through this of course. But the water has gotten to his knees, and is still rising steadily. Persistently, the man continues to pray, because he KNOWS his god will save him.

Thirty minutes have roughly passed and the man has now been forced up onto his own roof. Shortly after, he is greeted by a rescue crew that were taking people to safety. The man was offered to go with them, yet he declined because he KNEW that his god will save him. So the man continued to pray. That man was asked to be rescued countless times that day. Yet, all were declined for the same reason. The flooding had now gotten so bad, only a very small section of the man's roof remained. Then, the man was unpleasantly greeted by a rope. Looking up, the man saw that the rope was connected to a Coast-Guard helicopter, and was most likely there to save him. But of course the man said no and pushed the rope aside for his religion. The man drowned that day. So when he got to heaven, he asked god "How come you didn't save me god?" God said in reply, "What are you talking about? I sent 6 rescue crews and a helicopter."

This joke is very crucial to my first argument. The dictionary definition of "prayer" states: "An earnest request or wish." As an atheist, I do not believe that this wish will be granted, simply because it has never been proved before. Therefore it is not logical to teach children to rely on faith, because it is simply not a fact. Yes, that is a very absolute thing to say, but what if it was a life-or-death situation? would it be logical to pray for somebody or do CPR on them first? Yes, you could say that praying promotes god and righteousness, but Americans do not live in a theocracy.

*Ps: I apologize for any grammatical errors.
Spectacular

Pro

All of the major religions regard prayer as righteous, so how would I be singling out a religion? Secondly, you mentioned "what about all of the theistic religions". What about them? They can pray too can't they?

And who says that everyone will be like this person in your "joke" and decline being saved by multiple different rescue teams?

Conclusion:

You refuse to accept prayer in schools simply because you're an atheist. You believe it is not logical to teach children faith because of your biased belief that prayer doesn't resolve anything. You refer to your joke throughout your argument believing that everyone who prays is like the person in your "joke", which isn't even a real situation.

Therefore, you reasoning is pointless; fallacy is the only thing I'm able to deduce from it.
Grayneer

Con

Ok, that joke may have not been the best example. However if someone prays to god about becoming a better person,and then they become that better person. I feel that is an unnatural way of gaining hope because how come you cannot just say: "Man, ill do better on the next test." Then you study, and ace the upcoming test. Why do you have to include god? I believe that you will get the exact same outcome both ways. So what is the sense of including something that has less evidence than the people who survived the sinking of the Titanic. Sounds more like a false hope to me.

I think that the final question is: Should children rely on themselves or god?

Sorry for not being "realistic" enough for you.

Once again, I apologize for any grammatical errors.
Spectacular

Pro

"unnatural way of gaining hope"

So you're telling me the "natural" way of gaining hope is saying "I'll do better next time"? Not much of an argument. I think you're veering off-topic when you refer to nature in a religious debate. You keep attempting to justify your ignorance of faith by your own preference of belief which is biased.

If your argument is that people get the same outcome whether they include God or not, it's pretty damn futile because there would be no real reason not to include God if that was the case.
Grayneer

Con

"If your argument is that people get the same outcome whether they include God or not, it's pretty damn futile because there would be no real reason not to include God if that was the case."

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING. You will get the exact same outcome if you don't include God. SO WHY RELY ON PRAYER TO GAIN HOPE? As an Atheist this is something I do not understand, please explain.

"So you're telling me the "natural" way of gaining hope is saying "I'll do better next time"? Not much of an argument."

When you say: "I'll do better next time." You create hope in the sense of generating a greater, or a "better" outcome
because you are aware of the previous consequences. It's funny how you seem to force yourself not to understand this incredibly simple concept.

Another thing, how do not expect this not to biased or opinionated? its a religious debate, not a debate about how 2+2=4. I agree that I'm a one-sided person, but cant you respect my argument? I am a human being you know.
Spectacular

Pro

Your argument is nonexistent, therefore I will not continue this debate.
Grayneer

Con

Well you haven't really given a clear argument ether so f*ck it. Hope I go to hell for that one.
Spectacular

Pro

Spectacular forfeited this round.
Posted by TheOncomingStorm 3 years ago
TheOncomingStorm
Well, good thing this topic didn't get debated at all. If Grayneer would like, I am up for the pro side of this debate pertaining to praying in schools not the benefits prayer as this debate has transformed itself into.
Posted by xxUSMCxx 3 years ago
xxUSMCxx
I have to say that praying in school hasn't caused anybody damage, as long as it is not a class-wide prayer, for we can't adjust to everyone's religion, including the atheists. But besides that, why are we getting our britches and panties in a twist over such matters? I mean come on, lets be sensible and come to some sort of agreement that we can pray in school, as long as its just you and maybe some people of the same religion.
Posted by Grayneer 3 years ago
Grayneer
Ehhh....I disagree, but I'll save it for the debate.
Posted by TheAmazingAtheist1 3 years ago
TheAmazingAtheist1
Praying is rather a coping method, and that's perfectly acceptable. But just because you pray, does not mean all your wishes will be granted.
Posted by Technicallyderped 3 years ago
Technicallyderped
Praying in school is perfectly acceptable. Freedom of religion states this. We must respect each other, no matter how ridiculous their religion might be.
Vote Placed by 00r3d 3 years ago
00r3d
GrayneerSpectacularTied
Reasons for voting decision: That escalated quickly at the end... and it would strongly appear as though Pro is not Christian... In no way did this discussion involve school except as an example. The 'joke' though nice is a horrible representation of what is expected through prayer.