BillBonJovi
manishhiroo

Predators is the best sequel film in the Predator franchise so far

BillBonJovi

BillBonJovi

Pro

Predator is a 1987 American science fiction action film directed by John McTiernan and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The film had two sequels, Predator 2 (1990) and Predators (2010), as well as two crossover films with the Alien franchise, Alien vs. Predator (2004) and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007), have been made.

I have seen all the films and the latest film in the series ‘Predators' is clearly the best sequel to the original film. I reference the film here: http://www.imdb.com...

Anyone disagree?

And Please bare in mind that this debate is about if the film is the best for people to enjoy overall.
manishhiroo

Con

Personally, i think the Predator sequels could not have been worse.The first Predator strarring Arnold Schwarzenegger was the best,it had a good storyline and a raw feeling which in todays cinemas is kind of rare.These days it more of animation and graphics throughout the movie.That movie had a sense of roughness in characters and scenes that atleast that time when i was a kid made my hair stand upright
The Sequels on the other hand are really badly made.I think Alien Vs Pradators could have been good but the plot was kind of umm(sorry i ve to compromise the euphemism..)"stupid".
BillBonJovi

Pro

Dear Con,
Don't worry about your first mistake in stage 1. I got your comment that said:

"forgot to mention the portion where i wanted to say Predator 2 was the best sequel to the original movie. And that the new movie "Predators" didnt really come upto the mark.It seemed like a part of it was squashed and absorbed from the original movie itself".

It would have been helpful if you had said WHAT you think made Predator 2 a better sequel than Predators was. So for now I'll just talk about why I think Predators is the best sequel.

In a season of remakes, re-imagining and sequels that we currently live in, Predators certainly lives up to what's expected of it. It's a re-imagining of the classic 80's action movie which had Arnie take the reigns as the leader of a super band of commando's being hunted by an extra terrestrial in the middle of the (jungle), and ended up spawning quite a franchise, consisting of a sequel, and 2 movie mash ups, the Alien vs. Predator films. Fans of the original and followers of the franchise can be forgiven for being weary of this remake (after all, I was), but believe me, Predators is the best in the series since the original.

Predators, as the name suggests, features more than 1, which alone makes you wonder how true to the original this will be. Well, the movie approaches this question in a strange way. First, it takes the original premise of a band of elite warriors being hunted by an unstoppable alien menace and gives quite a unique and refreshing twist, delivering another band of elite warriors, but this time being hunted by 3 Predators, and on A DIFFERENT planet, rather than Earth.

Then on top of this, Predators takes much of what made the original great; the cheesy dialogue, the big guns, the crude humour and even some of the same great moments and adds them in to give Predators its own unique style, while still paying a worthy homage to the classic.

There are some direct references to please the original fans, but it's not spoiled by filling it with references that only the die-hard fans would understand like many other movies are. Most of the action scene's deliver and the fire fights are well done. The scenery of the planet is beautiful (though it's actually only Hawaii), and the movie generally has a good pace, despite some times where this falters. And I have to award bonus points for the movie's opening: it was a unique way of introducing us to the situation and without giving too much away; it sucks you in, even if it is a little far-fetched.

Predators was released with some big shoes that it knew it had to fill, and so instead of trying to outdo the original or be new and fresh, it uses what made the original great to its advantage. You must say say kudos to Nimrod Antal for directing and kudos to the make-up department, because they definitely outdid themselves with this project. Predators is a refreshing shot in the arm to a nearly dead franchise, and stands out in the ocean of movie remakes and sequels that Hollywood is churning out. For what it's designed to be, an action blockbuster popcorn flick.

Now Con please explain why you think Predator 2 was the better sequel...
manishhiroo

Con

manishhiroo forfeited this round.
BillBonJovi

Pro

Seeing as my opponent has not stated why he thinks predator 2 is the best sequel in the franchise I will now just have to say why I think it wasn't the best sequel seeing as I simple have no argument to counter...

The Predator did indeed have a certain fearsome beauty in the very first Predator film. However there was no such luck Predator 2.

The predator is indeed imaginary but the people who made this film are not, "Predator 2" speaks sadly of their own lack of curiosity and imagination. All they can give us in the way of an alien is a street mugger with intestines for a face, pincers around his mouth, and an Afro-style braided hairdo. (The creature in this movie is a work of subtle racism. Subliminal clues are slipped in to encourage us to subconsciously connect the menace with black males. One not-so-subtle scene has the predator threatening a Bernhard Goetz type on the subway. This time, the Goetz type meets his match.)

The acting in the movie is applied hysteria. Glover, so engaging as a different kind of cop in the "Lethal Weapon" movies, screams and sweats, swears and climbs down tall buildings. He is assisted by a Latino woman, played by the wonderful Maria Conchita Alonso, whose idea of creating an identity for herself at headquarters is to grab a new guy by the crotch until he pleads for mercy. The dialogue is foul and clinical, and the special effects, while expensive, are not interesting.

But the film's greatest loss is one of spirit. Audiences lived on a speck in a corner of a vast universe, and what makes us human is our ability to wonder about what's out there. Since we do not know, the fables we create serve only to inspire our dreams. "Predator 2" is a movie whose dreams are angry and ugly.
However when Predators came out, after a string of subpar sequels, Predators is a bloody, action-packed reboot takes the Predator franchise back to its testosterone-fuelled roots. The film is set in a Jungle which in truth is where the Predator belongs. Not in running around crime infested city.

Following more or less directly from the original Predator film, this amounts to a reasonably clever mash-up of movies like Battle Royale and the Dirty Dozen among other genre exercises as well as the atmosphere of the TV series Lost.
The Human characters in Predators guess at first they've been kidnapped and dropped in the Amazon, but later learn they are a few light-years off. These characters quickly piece together that the whole planet is a game preserve where an alien race of humanoid Predators has long hunted big games (including humans) for hunting sports events.

[Plus more of what I said in stage 2 as well]

Unlike Predator 2 the makers of Predators clearly have a better amount of curiosity and imagination to keep audiences interested and entertained.
manishhiroo

Con

manishhiroo forfeited this round.
BillBonJovi

Pro

As I said in the first stage "Please bare in mind that this debate is about if the film is the best for people to enjoy overall" I will now prove that Predators is the most enjoyable sequel to the original Predator and best for audiences and people in general to see.

Rotten Tomatoes is a website devoted to reviews, information, and news of films, most widely known as a film review aggregator. Its name derives from the clich´┐Ż of audiences throwing tomatoes and other vegetables at a poor stage performance.

If a film scores more than 60% then it gets a fresh rating and is classed as a "Good" film. If a film gets less than 60% then it gets a rotten rating and is classed as "Bad". The critics who normally give the reviews for the films are mainly people from the public in general (the best of course).

Now let's see what reviews the critics gave to all 4 Predator sequels:

Predator 2: http://www.rottentomatoes.com...
23% gave it a positive review

Alien vs. Predator: http://www.rottentomatoes.com...
22% gave it a positive review

Alien vs. predator: Requiem: http://www.rottentomatoes.com...
12% gave it a positive review

Predators: http://www.rottentomatoes.com...
63% gave it a positive review

So it's clear that Predators is the most enjoyable sequel to the original film and is the only sequel to get a Fresh review.
If you haven't seen any of the Predator films (or only just the original Predator film) then see the original Predator first and then see Predators because it is the best and true sequel to the original film.
manishhiroo

Con

manishhiroo forfeited this round.
Posted by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
Kinesis, will you please tell your friend Manishhiroo that he has a debate to argue. I think he has forgot all about it. Please tell him as soon as you can
Posted by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
manishhiroo, Are you actually willing to debate this topic? The way you have handled it so far was more like a discussion rather than an argument. This is a debate website and debates tend to be more arguing rather than discussing. If your not going to argue then I suggest you cancel your account. And then someone else can take up Con's position.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
I dunno. I've never seen Predators, and I barely remember the original.
Posted by manishhiroo 6 years ago
manishhiroo
i did understand bro...and i see i forgot to mention the portion where i wanted to say Predator 2 was the best sequel to the original movie.
And that the new movie "Predators" didnt really come upto the mark.It seemed like a part of it was squashed and absorbed from the original movie itself.Which part do u support Kinesis?
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
lol, I don't think manish understood the resolution.
Vote Placed by VoodooChild 6 years ago
VoodooChild
BillBonJovimanishhirooTied
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
BillBonJovimanishhirooTied