SBDEBATER1
bettabreeder

President Lincoln's Gettysburg Address

SBDEBATER1

Pro

I believe That the Gettysburg Address was to try and help we the people understand more about us as a people. In all honesty if you read it out loud and review it....the primary basis of the speech is that Man is created equal...that included women at the time. If you remember....President Lincoln gave this speech November 19 1863.... Before that the Emancipation Proclamation was issued January 1 1863...... Now we all know that the Emancipation Proclamation was to free the slaves.... though it didn't quite free all the slaves. My point is that the Gettysburg address to me was to try and get people realize that we ARE ONE nation we are not all separate race and ethnicity should not determine anything. We are all people. Thank you
bettabreeder

Con

Lincoln was NOT and abolitionist and wanted slavery illegal only in the territories for he can send african americans there to live away from the whites. He issued the proclamation the free the slaves of the Confederate States of America, just to suffer there economy and win the war. Abe also wanted to free slaves because he wanted them to fight in the Northern army. The slaves wern't officially free till 1901 when Delaware ratified the 13th amendment. Lincoln also belived that freeing the slaves would threaten the Union.

http://ourfoundingtruth.blogspot.com...
SBDEBATER1

Pro

I never said he was an abolitionist.... I said he viewed us all as equal.

"Lincoln"s purpose for the Proclamation was not the immediate freedom of all slaves. Rather, he hoped the declaration would weaken the moral cause of the South, while strengthening the Union"s moral cause. He felt that with the Proclamation the Civil War now had a "higher purpose," which Lincoln sought to leverage for the Union."

"Lincoln had the reputation of being an abolitionist but his political record indicated this was not completely Accurate"

President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation Jan. 1863 this document was for the freedom of slaves though not all of them got freed the ones that were in the rebellious states where not freed.
President Lincolns Main focus was on Slavery and preventing it from moving to other territories. he outlined terms of freedom for the slaves that were in the rebellious states.
President Lincoln refrained from fully supporting Abolishment because he felt that the POLITICAL CLIMATE wouldn't be able to support it. So in all actuality he was An ABOLITOINIST but he didn't fully support because of his duties as president

" It applied only to states that had seceded from the Union, leaving slavery untouched in the loyal border states. It also expressly exempted parts of the Confederacy that had already come under Northern control."(talking about the Emancipation Proclamation)

As for Lincoln being racist like your source says........He did have many slaves and he had many children with the as well but he cared for them. He wanted The slaves to be free from the white man and join the Confederate army.

"Slavery is founded on the selfishness of man's nature; opposition to it on his love of Justice." - Abraham Lincoln

http://www.gilderlehrman.org...
http://www.apstudynotes.org...
bettabreeder

Con

Lincoln didn't feel like freeing the slaves during the proclamation was something he wanted to do for freedom, it was something he had to do for the outcome of the war. Slaves were sent to military forts to build the forts for the South so Lincoln agreed the freeing the slaves will put the Confederacy in a situation of debt.

Lincoln put down his political claim for Republican because of his dislike of slavery in the territories. He didn't care what slaves did down in the Confederacy unless it would change the outcome of the war. And it would of so that's why he emancipated them. If Lincoln was a abolitionist he would of freed the slaves of every single slave state. Lincoln's big issues were keeping the Union together.

You state that he could not touch the borders because of them being under CSA control. Mossouri and Kentucky set up Confederate government but never fully used them, Maryland was fully controlled by the North and there was no issue in Deleware and West Virginia... Plus if Confederate control was and issue in the borders how did he free them in the CSA?

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races — that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.

http://www.history.com...
SBDEBATER1

Pro

SBDEBATER1 forfeited this round.
bettabreeder

Con

Sad to see you go
Posted by SBDEBATER1 2 years ago
SBDEBATER1
Then we shall debate
Posted by bettabreeder 2 years ago
bettabreeder
I think that Lincoln was a racist tyrant that wanted to keep slaves in the Western territories. I would love to debate this topic with you.
Posted by SBDEBATER1 2 years ago
SBDEBATER1
Oh and I'm new on Here to.
Posted by SBDEBATER1 2 years ago
SBDEBATER1
The debatable part is people don't really now the true facts and they think that Lincoln was a hipocrit after all he did own the most slaves and his slaves where also very well treated as a matter a fact he had a few children by a couple of his female slaves. The debate is about whether or not Lincolns speech and the emancipation proclamation go hand in hand
Posted by Martley 2 years ago
Martley
I don't see a debate position here. It was a speech for a cemetery dedication ceremony during a war, it was meant to honor the dead and inspire the living. It clearly inspired you, and thats good! What exactly would Con be arguing??
Posted by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
This is forum post material.... you haven't really specified what exactly we're supposed to debate....