BigSky
DoubtingDave

Presidential Race: 2016

DoubtingDave

BigSky

Pro

I am a Republican looking for a (blank) to compete with me for the presidency in 2016. The debate will consist of 5 rounds.

In the first round, my opponent will speak to the voters, let them know his/her views, and explain why they would be a fitting president.

In the second round, my opponent and I will begin to debate over the current political issues, and proposed legislation to those issues.

In the third round, we make rebuttals to previous arguments.

In the fourth round, more rebuttals.

The fifth round will consist of a conclusion, and final rebuttals.

Afterwards, voters will vote for their president as they would in any election.

Rules:

1) Please take it seriously. For the purposes of this simulation, no trolls will be allowed.

2) No vulgarity, if you were running for president, you would want the respect of the people.

3) Please do not paste additional arguments in the final round, it would be impossible to rebut those arguments.

4) Please site any sources, let the voters know where you are coming from.

5) Please use a name to run as. It can be fictional, again, keep it clean.

6) Make sure to make your party clear, you are allowed to create your own party as long as you explain what its ideals are.

I am BigSky Montana and I will represent the Republican party in this election. I will elaborate on my views later in this debate but for now they are:

1) I am pro-life.

2) I am obviously for Capitalism.

3) I am anti-drug legalization.

4) I am for free trade.

5) I am against gay marriage.

6) I would like to be environmentally friendly, but not liberally. I am more of a conservative thinker.

7) I am for the gold standard.

8) I am against national healthcare.

9) I am against any new proposed gun legislation, except a background check on those purchasing arms.

10) I am pro labor union, but there needs to be major reforms.

11) I am against welfare.

If you are interested in any interest in additional political preferences I have, or have any questions, please refer to my profile, message me, or leave a comment below.

Thanks

DoubtingDave

Con

Hello everyone, my name is DoubtingDave and I am the Libertarian Party nominee for 2016 and I have selected Gov. Gary Johnson to be my Vice President.

1) I am pro-choice, though I do support a ban on late term abortions and would be open to restricting abortions in other cases. Abortion is a very touchy issue for me and I'm more or less undecided.

2) I am a neoliberal believing in a deregulated economy, one which capitalism and free markets can flourish creating prosperity through business.

3) I believe that we ought to end the failed war on drugs. The war on drugs corrupts cops, politicians, and it is the reason we have drug cartels. If we want to reduce or eliminate drug violence, we can start be drug legalization. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it is the same exact thing as prohibition. No prohibition, no Al Capone.

Moreover, I believe that the drug laws must be reformed. NON-VIOLENT first time drug users can face a jail term limit longer than those convicted of rape, manslaugher, or child molestation.

4) I believe that everyone should be free to marry whom they wish. My preferred preference is that the state simply stays out of marriage all together.

5) I believe that a free market health care is the way to improve access to health care and improve quality as well.

6) I am a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment and a proud member of the NRA.

7) I am against welfare and believes it causes people to be depended upon government.

8) I believe that there are many benefits to free trade and that it is very important. As your next President, I and Governor Gary Johnson will seek to expand free trade.

9) I believe in ending the unnecessary wars in Afghanistan and re-think some of our failed forein policy. I believe in eliminating foreign aid -especially to nations such as Syria, Egypt, and Pakistan.

10) I am pro Israel.

My name is DoubtingDave, and I approve this message.
BigSky

Pro

Hello everyone, again I am BigSky Montana, and I am choosing Paul Ryan as my vice president. Our country really has been going downhill over the last four years, and I believe with the right measures, we should be able to get this turned around.

Abortion

I will agree with DoubtingDave, this is a very touchy issue. When you've got half the country for abortion, and half the country against it, it becomes increasingly difficult to propose any legislation to please the whole nation. I will leave it up entirely to the states, but encourage them to hold votes on the issue, let everyone's voice be heard.

War On Drugs

I must disagree with my opponent. Prohibition was dealing with something that had been a part of different cultures since they began. Alcohol had simply become an American way. Now, I of course recognize that when used irresponsibly it has horrible effects, that is why I will support any well thought out measure to reduce drunk drivers, abuse, etc. Back to drugs however. I noticed in the state of Washington, as soon as Medical Marijuana was legalized, many seemed to have a green card. Now it really isn't my business of who has one, but it is quite obvious that they didn't all need one. All throughout high school I listened to stories about kids getting drunk, or high. They think they're clever because they can so easily obtain a tool to get high whenever they please. Plus, being hooked on that stuff isn't good for you. It's additive, businesses won't allow it, and neither will I. America will not fall into the hands of a generation of potheads. Now don't get me wrong, I know there are some smart individuals, but their numbers are dwindling. Even if I have to wait until hell freezes over, drugs will not be legalized in my country.

Gay Marriage

Like Abortion, it is split pretty evenly down the middle, those opposed, and those for it. I am personally against it for moral reasons, but I am not a bigot. I have many friends who are gay, and I do not judge them for their actions or choices. I will leave the issue up to the states, because if I tell people who to marry, then I would be infringing the rights of the individual. The states will, again, hold votes to get a majority, and go from there.

Health Care

I am against the national health care standard. I don't feel that the government should be responsible for the citizens needs. If the government encourages the citizen, then hopefully they will be able to purchase their own health care. (I will elaborate later)

Gun Control

I encourage strict interpretations of the constitution. Gun control will not be within the power of the federal government. The line must be drawn somewhere, I am glad my opponent agrees.

Foreign Affairs

The wars must continue for the safety of the nation, this issue will be elaborated later on.

BigSky's Big Ten Bill

1) Welfare Reform Bill

2) Gun Control Reform Bill

3) Labor Union Reform Bill

4) Drug Legalization Reform Bill

5) Minimum Wage Reform Bill

6) Roe V. Wade Proposal Bill

7) Health care Withdrawal Bill

8) Immigration Reform Bill

9) Nuclear Arms Regulations

10) Federal Spending Reform

These will of course go through congress, and I will address them in the next round. I will provide elaboration, and details.

America is a great country, but I hope to make it an even better one. I represent the will of the people, and a free nation. Thank You

DoubtingDave

Con

Thank you, America, for this opportunity to run for President. It is a great honor standing here representing the Libertarian Party and the power of Liberty.

Abortion

I think we can reach a concensus that this is a touchy issue and we should keep the government out of this. I would also propose eliminating funds for Planned Parenthood, a huge provider of abortions.

War on Drugs

The war on drugs is an expensive failure. It corrupts cops, politicians, and it is the sole reason why we have drug cartels. Did you know that NON VIOLENT first time drug users can face a sentence longer than those convicted of rape, manslaughter, and child molestation! There needs to be smarter reforms in our drug policy.

My opponent is wrong in claiming that drugs is a recent thing. In fact, drugs have been around longer than alcohol - at least since the stone age [http://www.huffingtonpost.com...;].

Gay Marriage

I will be the first openly gay President if I am elected. I believe in equality under the law and therefore view gay marriage as a right as any other. However, I believe that government should not be in marriage and it should be to each individual. Moreover, I believe religious institutions should be allowed to deny gay couples wedding services and church membership on religious grounds.

Economy and Debt

Debt is a huge problem in the nation. The most important thing we can do now is cut spending and bring consumer and business confidence in the markets. We ought to reform the tax code and pass a balanced budget amendment.

Top Ten Bills

1) Balanced Budget Amendment - Requires congress and the President to balance the federal budget for each fiscal year
2) Write the Law Act
3) Read the Bills Act
4) Tax Reform Act
5) One Subject At a Time Act
6) Drug Reform Bill
7) Welfare Reform
8) Repeal of NDAA
9) Repeal of PATRIOT Act
10) ABOLISH THE TSA

I'm David Neff, and I approve this message
BigSky

Pro

I must ask my opponent for forgiveness, but I have to concede. Please vote for David.

BigSky Montana approves this message.
DoubtingDave

Con

I am honored to be your next President. May God bless America!
BigSky

Pro

Since this is over, I thought you were atheist...
DoubtingDave

Con

I am an atheist.
BigSky

Pro

I was just wondering why you said God bless America then...
DoubtingDave

Con

Just rhetoric.

"I, David Neff, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
Posted by proglib 3 years ago
proglib
Also, ditto to PhiloChristo's comment
"If there's no personal attacks, it's not a real political debate. :-/"

My emoticon would be a bit tongue-in-cheek, though. It is like the joke a fellow philosophy student made concerning my undergrad focus on politics and ethics:

"Kind of an oxymoron, right? B^D"

He and I are also both working in politics for nonprofits.

PS. If I say ditto one more time to somebody's post, someone hit me with something. I can't stand "dittoheads" as a rule.
Posted by proglib 3 years ago
proglib
Ditto to what HistoryGenius said.

What a cool concept.

I'll try to vote this.
Posted by DoubtingDave 3 years ago
DoubtingDave
1History, would you want to debate me on this?
Posted by 1Historygenius 3 years ago
1Historygenius
I would want to take a debate like this.
Posted by BigSky 3 years ago
BigSky
If you can limit the attacks to a degree and still focus on issues then fine, there can be some.
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
If there's no personal attacks, it's not a real political debate. :-/
Posted by BigSky 3 years ago
BigSky
I wouldn't go so far as the terrorist organizations, but some gentle attacks would be alright. In a typical election there would be some of that, but this debate shouldnt focus on the personal attacks, but the actual issues at hand.
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
Can we make stuff up? For example, can we say you're a flip flopper for voting inconsistently in the past? Can we talk about how you got caught with a hooker and cheated on your wife? Can we talk about your shady associations and the fact that you accepted a lot of financial contributions from known terrorist organizations?
Vote Placed by dragonb95 3 years ago
dragonb95
BigSkyDoubtingDaveTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by proglib 3 years ago
proglib
BigSkyDoubtingDaveTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'll lay it out there before I vote [or even read] the debate. That way, it will be clear whether I have preconceptions. I'm a "progressive libertarian--because life is complicated." I plan to vote this on its merits. [Why else vote anything?:D]
Vote Placed by Xerge 3 years ago
Xerge
BigSkyDoubtingDaveTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession
Vote Placed by Subutai 3 years ago
Subutai
BigSkyDoubtingDaveTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.