luv31i53
Esquire42

Pressurred? or Totally Consensual?

luv31i53

Con

In my opinion I believe most teens, mainly girls, are pressured into having sex.
Esquire42

Pro

Heck, I'll do this for fun.

Scientifically, the biological imperative for all organisms is to pass down their DNA to future generations. If this wasn't true, then evolution wouldn't work in the first place. Ultimately, everyone wants to have sex at the biological level.

Plus, think about teenagers for a minute. Sex runs rampant through their minds because of puberty. As much as society wants us to belive, along with the church, peer pressure isn't the major cause in teenage sexual activity. It is because they want it.

Also, it's a bit of a loaded question, so I am taking a spectrum approach. If you are looking for a black-or-white answer, you aren't going to get one entirely.
luv31i53

Con

Well, that might be true but I am talking about....
for example, a girlfriend(16) and a boyfriend(18)...
Everybody has hormones and physical attractions but everyone also has a brain. so the boy at 18 is basically legal and so would a girl be at that age. A boy would probably only be thinking with his hormones instead of with his brain...but the girl would probably be thinking what if I get pregnant or I catch something. Condoms don't always work, the tiniest hole in a condom could let sperm through. if she was the same age as him 18 and pregnant is no big thing because you can get a house and etc. But she's only 16...and it says that almost 89.5% of teen pregnancies are for what the teenagers call "love." If she supposedly "loves" him don't you think she would do something for him even if she doesn't want to?...
Esquire42

Pro

Well, when we are talking about sex between an 18 year old and a 16 year old we run into some legal issues, namely, it would be illegal.

Also, I am not entirely sure what pont you are trying to make. It seems to be in the situation you described it is consenual and out of love, or otherwise, and not pressured.

I am by no means an expert on relationships, as astrophysics is my chosen field, but I would say that she might do something minor for him even if she doesn't want to, but not have sex. Then again, we loop back to the biological imperative argument if we go down that path. I also would say that if he loves her, he would want her to do things they both want to do, not just one or the other.
luv31i53

Con

18 and 16 was just an example...but a definition of pressure is to basically feel as though you have to do something that your not exactly comfortable with. Like, if you had to give a speech at a grand occasion and you have stage fright or another person's speech was better than yours. You would feel pressure to do a good job...just an example.
Esquire42

Pro

In the originall question you implied something more of the lines of coersion rather than pressure, i.e. you do this and you will be blank, you don't do this and you will be opposite of blank; or, you do this or else I will hurt you.

In the speech analogy, you are feelin internal pressure to do well. It will matter little what the crowd says, as goodness is derived from the psyche of the person themselves. The question refers to outside pressure, of which there is very little,

The majority of teens have completely consensual sex, and are not pressured into doing so.
luv31i53

Con

luv31i53 forfeited this round.
Esquire42

Pro

Esquire42 forfeited this round.
luv31i53

Con

luv31i53 forfeited this round.
Esquire42

Pro

Esquire42 forfeited this round.
Posted by Esquire42 3 years ago
Esquire42
You, sir, have summed up my argument in in five or so words.
Posted by Wocambs 3 years ago
Wocambs
Girls want to have sex too, you know.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
luv31i53Esquire42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Fail debate, but an interesting deep question about if pressuring someone leaves it their own will.