tylergraham95
Blade-of-Truth

Price Gouging Following Natural Disaster ought to be permitted by law

tylergraham95 has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner
Started: 12/17/2016 Category: Economics
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

tylergraham95

Pro

I would like to argue that price gouging following natural disasters can be a good thing, and that it ought to be permitted by law.

Definitions
"Price Gouging Following Natural Distaster" (PGFND): the practice of marking up the price of a good rapidly (over 50% increase in price roughly) in response to sudden increase of scarcity as a result of a natural disaster (flood, tornado, typhoon, godzilla attack, etc.)

"Ought to be" is a functional phrase to establish the weighing mechanisms by which the judges shall make their decision. What "ought to be" is the policymaking standard that would yield the best results for the people of "this house." For this debate, "this house" will be considered to be the United States legislative branch, or a general attitude of any state legislature. What is "best" for the people of "this house" is open to interpretation.

"Permitted by law" should be self-explainatory. States that permit price-gouging may not be cited as a defeat to the justification of this debate, but may be cited as an example of the benefits/detriments of price-gouging.

Settings

The debate will be 5 rounds, at 10,000 Characters each. 72 Hours to respond. The voting is open to those with an ELO above 2,500, and it is select winner format. Whoever responds to this challenge must have completed at least one debate to accept, but I would be open to debating a n00b if they messaged me first.

Rules
-No trolling
-No semantics
-No kritiks
-By accepting the challenge, you accept my definitions
-First round is for acceptance and pleasantries only
-Round two is for constructive arguments only, no rebuttals may be made here.
-Round five is for final analysis only. No new arguments or sources may be introduced here. Only an analysis of the contentions made by each of the debaters is allowed.

I look forward to this debate, as I am trying to become active in debate once again. I hope this topic will be interesting to discuss
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I accept the debate, definitions, and all rules. I wish my opponent the best and look forward to a thought-provoking challenge.

Please begin.
Posted by Perussi 11 months ago
Perussi
This is one of the greatest debates on this entire site. Very intense and some great arguments brought down. Very close.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
@warren42, you got it man!
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
@DK, I hope I can change your mind :) I don't think Pro's position is too unreasonable, but I have some strong arguments ready to go.
Posted by warren42 1 year ago
warren42
Please let me know when this is in the voting stage. Unique topic, I like it!
Posted by donald.keller 1 year ago
donald.keller
I'm on Tyler's side here, so I'll be looking forward to what BoT has to say on the topic.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
NOOOOO!!! Dang it...
Posted by YYW 1 year ago
YYW
This is a very good topic, and I expect the debate here will certainly be interesting to follow. In that I have no firm opinion on the topic, it will be interesting to see if either of you are capable of changing my mind.