Cutiepuffle
lannan13

Prince Hans Is a Good Villain

lannan13
Started: 7/8/2014 Category: Movies

Cutiepuffle

Con

I will be starting a debate on whether Prince Hans from the movie Frozen was a well-designed villain or not.

Rules:
1. You may not rebut anything in the same round.
2. Round 1 is acceptance only.
3. No swearing.
4. Pictures are discouraged, but if you must, keep it small.
5. Wikipedia is a valid source.

If you break any rules, you forfeit the debate.

Voter Rules:
1. You may not take off spelling and grammar because a debater quotes a spelling/grammar mistake an opponent made.
2. Read the ENTIRE debate before voting.

lannan13

Pro

Challenge accepted. I look forward to a great debate.
Cutiepuffle

Con

Argument 1: His Personality
Prince's Hans' personality was very weak. Everything we know about him from the first 2/3 of the movie was wrong. So what do we know about him? He's a liar... a god-modder... and... ummm.... that is it. If you remove the plot twist, he has nothing good about him. He could've been replaced easily. Jessie and James from Team Rocket could replace him and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Argument 2: Cliche Villain Monologue
Prince Hans gave away all his information to Anna and left her alive. This is horribly cliche and is a lazy way to reveal his true side. Even An Extremely Goofy Movie which got a 57% on Rotten Tomatoes at least did better at this. The villains were overheard discussing their plans (which is cliche too, but not nearly as cliche.) rather than flat out saying it. In a movie with more complex characters like Elsa, it's shown their put a clear effort in this movie. So why is it that they must resort to cliches for Hans. This also brings a major plot hole into Frozen. How can somebody as clever as Hans fall for such a stupid trap? This is like walking off a cliff. You're bound to notice it. Sure you could say he was over confident, but still. It's so obvious, you can't miss it.

Argument 3: Time As a Villain
His time as a villain was too short. He had 10 lines of dialogue then was beaten. No confrontation, no final battle, no nothing. Anna freezes, then Hans is out of the picture. Since he had little personality to begin with, no final showdown makes him not very memorable if it weren't for the twist.

lannan13

Pro

As per rules I cannot refute this round as it is conentions only.

Contention 1: Hans had a plot from the begining.

Like most evil villians you have to have a plot from the begining. Being the 13th in line for the crown of the Southern Isles Hans had no other option, but to marry into royalty. His orginial plan was to marry Queen Elsa, but due to her isolationist nature that was out the window. He planned that he would then stage an accident to kill Elsa. Then Princes Anna fell in love with Prince Hans the day they met and wanted to get married. He would then kill Elsa and become king, but Anna ran after Elsa with a high probability of death which would put Hans in a great spot to then be king. (http://disney.wikia.com...)

Contention 2: Hans got support from the public.

When Anna left to go after Queen Elsa she left Prince Hans in charge. He gathered massive public support as he interacted with the commaner making sure they were warm. If a quarrl ever occured the public would support Hans as he cared for the public personally vs. Elsa and Anna who both were locked away in the castle for years on end.

Contention 3: Prince Hans appealed to Queen Elsa

Prince Hans saved Queen Elsa from a Wesleton crossbow shot. On top of that he gained her trust by saying that he would stand up for her and do what he could, but it might not what since the others didn't trust her. She believed this based on the reactions were when her powers were discovered. When she was running away Queen Elsa told Prince Hans to take care of Anna. Leaving her sister to someone she just met.
Cutiepuffle

Con

I would like to apologize for not bringing up more points as I thought this was a five, not three round debate.

Also if my full argument doesn't show, check this link for it.
http://shrib.com...

There's a few spelling errors from my opponent there, so I ask you don't deduct me for it.

Like most evil villians you have to have a plot from the begining. Being the 13th in line for the crown of the Southern Isles Hans had no other option, but to marry into royalty.

And there is one major problem with this. His backstory is merely glanced over. One line and barely mentioned again. He doesn't think about this or anything. For all we know, there's so little information, it could be that Hans was lying the whole time.

His orginial plan was to marry Queen Elsa, but due to her isolationist nature that was out the window.

Once again, this too was glanced over. One line spewed out along with a bunch of other stuff and that's considered a story.

lannan13

Pro

Hans isn't lying about his back story. At the end of the movie when he is being detained. Let me quote the Captain of the Southern Isles Ship.

I will return this scoundrel to his country.
We shall see what his twelve big brothers think of his behavior.
R13;The French dignitary about Hans' punishment.

Here you can see that The French Dignitary confirms that Prince Hans's story was indeed correct.

No matter how many lines he had the matter of the fact that Prince Hans was very manipulative as he got the town's folk on his side by showing that he cared for them and interacted with them more than Elsa and Ana. Heck, he even fooled Elsa.

My opponent also said that there was no foreshadowing in the movie, but once again my opponent is incorrect. During the song Love is an Open Door. Princess Ana believes that they had perfect chemistry, but in the line "We finish eachother's.." "Sandwiches.""That's what I was going to say." It becomes obvious that they aren't really in love and aren't really meant to be and that Prince Hans really wasn't in love with Ana. Or in Ana's song For the First Time in Forever, she states, "For the first time in forever, nothing's in my way." Then Prince Hans's horse runs into Ana forcing her into the boat. Her we can see that Prince Hans is going to be an obstacle for latter in the movie to Ana.

I've already covered how Prince Hans was a villain from the beginning due to foreshadowing.

Prince Hans was a very unique character due to his cleverness and his ploys he remained hidden and got popular support from the public of Arendelle. His plan was nearly fool proof and when Ana ran after Elsa she had a high probability of getting killed thus moving Prince Hans up the ladder and when Prince Hans blamed Elsa for Ana's death the other Royalty got behind the execution of Queen Elsa. It was foreshadowed from the beginning that Prince Hans and Ana weren't exactly going to be as tight as Ana thought.

With that I thank you. Please vote Pro.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
---RFD---
The debater rules are a little unwieldy, I can't imagine how con is going to wait a round to respond to things (I suggest in future just insist the other side present an argument not just refute)... Voter rules seem to be such a no duh, they could be written as "please retrain from snorting bath salts."

R2 instigator:
"Everything we know about him from the first 2/3 of the movie was wrong" this claim seems without merit, as very little changed.

He's "a god-modder" what the heck?

"Jessie and James from Team Rocket could replace him and it wouldn't make much of a difference." True awesomeness to this line of reasoning, even if a Disney Princess would be unlikely to engage in a three way.

"Prince Hans gave away all his information to Anna and left her alive." Great point.
"it's shown their put a clear effort in this movie." They. Small error, but be careful.

"no final battle" fell a little flat for me, as it implies screen time equals quality.

R2 contender:
"If a quarrl ever occured the public would support Hans as he cared for the public personally vs. Elsa and Anna who both were locked away in the castle for years on end. " Solid point.

R3 instigator:
"Also if my full argument doesn't show, check this link for it." No. Arguments are posted in the debate rounds or they are not posted.

"There's a few spelling errors from my opponent there," next time please point them out. Also S&G is only deducted when the errors are bad enough to noticeably distract from someones argument. For example "it's shown their put a clear effort in this movie" would not be nearly bad enough to lose a point. The sudden all bold is however damn annoying.

"there's so little information, it could be that Hans was lying the whole time." 1. No villains with rich back-stories have been cited for contrast. 2. As pro put it "The French Dignitary confirms that Prince Hans's story was indeed correct."

R3 contender:
"Prince Hans was a villain from the beginn
Posted by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
Then I assume that means you cannot bring up a new argument in the last round, because via the rules I will be unable to debate that point.
Posted by Cutiepuffle 3 years ago
Cutiepuffle
It means if I post an argument in Round 1 for example, you can't rebut that during round 1.
Posted by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
What do you mean by you may not rebut anything in the same round?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Cutiepufflelannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: More in comments... I admit to having already considered Hans unique due to not being ugly (seriously, Disney characters should just butcher to ugly to defeat evil forever), and a true prince Charming who does his princely duties (instead of running around the country side chasing skirt). CONDUCT: con tried to expand his argument with a document he can continuously edit any time. S&G: Neither side caught the other in any mistakes and the ones I saw were too minor (next time retrain from bolding everything). ARGUMENT: Con was caught in lies bad enough to question if he had watched the movie, whereas pro upheld the Hans had a good plot, which with no other standard suggested to define Good Villain (even if I would love to see him swapped out for Team rocket) takes the win. SOURCES: Not nearly enough to earn the point. Also please do not use the Disneywiki in future, as it hijacks the browser (trying to click Back to return to the debate does not work from it).