Princess Peach doesn't belong in Smash Bros.

Started: 7/26/2014 Category: Games

Con argues first

Princess Peach is a perfectly viable character. Here's the reasons why. She has high priority on her attacks, the ability to float, decent combo ability, very versatile projectile, decent recovery, excellent edgeguarding moves, great racking ability, very unique playstyle, decent range and speed on some of her attacks and for her Turnips to recover her approach. Not to mention, her final smash gives her great sustain, as she gets around 30 seconds to collect peaches and heal any damage she may have taken. She's not a high damage dealing character by any means, and I think people look down on her for that. The goal with peach is to poke whenever possible, try to string combos, and get away. She's designed to outlast all the other characters, and for that, I would say she is quite good. Also, I'll assume the focus of this debate is SSBB, as that's the latest, and best as most people tend to agree. However, if you want to argue Melee as well, she's quite good in that game as well. This is due to her moderately powerful attacks, formidable recovery, amazing aerial game, good ground game, and overall good moves. Not to mention, she's ranked in the A tier in SSBM. All in all, she's a pretty good character. Good luck to the Affirmative.

All the characters are good, so like Mister_Man pointed out in the comments, how good a character Peach is does not pertain to this debate at all, and the base of your argument is like saying you should read the Bible just because it is "good." If my rebuttal does not stand with that, Peach is only one character in the game and can be replaced by lots of other good characters such as Mega Man X, Knuckles, Tails, Zero, Kamek, Waluigi, most Mortal Kombat characters, etc. And yes, this debate is focusing on the entire Smash Bros series.

New Argument:

Smash Bros is a fighting game. Peach's move set is just too civil and girlish and really does not belong in a violent fighting game, especially not when the game's theme song makes you feel like fighting hard and you feel like having a manly fight. She throws turnips, descends with a parasol, holds out a toad to reverse damage from an attack, and lunges hip-first at enemies. Even her final smash is girlish. She makes everyone fall asleep and eats peaches. It stops there. No swords, no guns, nothing violent. She is simply begging to either be taken out of Smash Bros or simply get pummeled. Other fighting games, however, tend to keep it brutal because fighting games are not supposed to be for younger audiences. For example, let's look at a couple of other fighting game franchises. They all have at least one mechanic that adds to the brutality.

Mortal Kombat: in this series, if you defeat an opponent using aggressive assault, your character will perform what is known as a Fatality. A Fatality, in Mortal Kombat, is a final finishing move that can be used against one's opponent at the end of a final match [1]. It is generally something extremely brutal, like decapication or skinning [2].

Street Fighter: each character has their own ultra move, which does something violent to the target, such as hit hard at them with a purple energy called Psycho Power [3], or destroy their soul [4].

Peach's moveset does not meet this standard of brutality a fighting game must have, and like I said earlier, there are many better characters than peach to replace her if she is ever removed from the series.

Rebuttal to the Rebuttal
First of all, as I've already said in comments, my opponent never specified exactly what the focus of this debate was. Thus, you can't blame me for arguing for Peach as a character. That being said, my opponent has conceded that Peach is a good character, which is one reason to vote Neg.

Rebuttal to his New Argument
His main argument is that she's not a violent character, but what he fails to remember is that this game is targeted towards children. Trying to compare this game towards more mature fighting games such as Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter is ludicrous. This game is not supposed to be "brutal" as he says it does. This is a childish, cartoony game. This game is meant to take a bunch of children's favorite characters, and make them fight. In fact, this game is barely even a fighting game. It's more of a party game with fighting game elements. Yes I'm aware that there is a tournament scene with this game, but tourney rules take all the fun out of the game. Thus, saying Peach should be taken out of a fun, cartoony, kid's game, because she's not "violent" or "brutal" is stupid. Peach decapitating people or destroying their soul would be really stupid. More so than she is right now. Also, using my opponent's logic, anybody in this game that doesn't use swords or guns, or is violent in some way should be removed, so I'll provide a list of all the other characters that should be removed in addition to Peach.

Pokemon Trainer
Dr. Mario
Mr. Game And Watch
Little Mac
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wii Fit Trainer

That's a lot of characters, and they all need to go, according to my opponent. Also, he says that there are many better characters that could replace Peach, but this is simply a matter of opinion.

Vote Neg for being logical and proving my opponent utterly wrong.

I give up but I still hold my position.

That's depressing, but keep in mind that you can't hold your position since it's been destroyed.

Voters you know what to do.

Vote Neg.
Posted by mudkip624 2 years ago
Gotta say this was really disappointing.
Posted by Loveshismom 2 years ago
Sorry bout that
Posted by mudkip624 2 years ago
No offense, but you really should have clarified that before I made my argument. I'm not going to change my argument to accommodate you because you made an error.
Posted by Loveshismom 2 years ago
Very true mister man. Can I call you 2M? Also, I wasn't saying peach shouldn't be fighting because she's a damsel in distress. It's for a reason I'm going to post in round 2.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
This is directed toward Con - I think what Pro is trying to say is that she doesn't belong in SSB because she isn't a main fighting character in the game she's from. Link, Mario, etc. are all main characters who fight through their respective games. Peach is a damsel in distress, she has nothing to contribute to the game other than being the objective to reach. In SSB she may be a great fighter, but we could get Mickey Mouse, make him a good fighter, then say that's why he deserves to be in the game.

Saying someone deserves to be a character in a game because they are a good character in that game is like saying you should read the Bible because the Bible says so.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by NiamC 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: ....FF