Biologist
Blade-of-Truth

Prison sentences are't accurate

Blade-of-Truth

Biologist

Pro

Round Rules:

1: First round is only for acceptance, which means that you will not debate in the first round, but you will just accept it.
2: No plagarizing. Don't take quotes from sites or books unless you are using it to proving
3:Failure to debate during the debating period wil result in a 7 point forfeit.

This debate is basically fighting on how prison sentences aren't accurate, but if they are the con would hav to prove they're position.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I accept the debate. Please begin.
Biologist

Pro

Biologist forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate. In the spirit of fairness, I will wait for my opponent to begin this debate by presenting his argument(s) since he is Pro. If my opponent forfeits the next round, I will present my case and ask that the full forfeit be considered when it comes time to vote. I do not wish this the case though and hope that we can engage in a spirited and well-thought out discussion.

I will fully present my case in the final round and include any and all rebuttals in that round as well - should my opponent reply.

I now respectfully give the floor back to my opponent in the hopes of a response.
Biologist

Pro

Biologist forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I didn't realize that the Instigator himself has set forth the rule that: "Failure to debate during the debating period will result in a 7 point forfeit."

It is therefore appropriate for his own rules to be applied to his own lack of debating, thus resulting in my opponent receiving an automatic 7 point deduction as long as I present my argument.

The resolution is clear: Prison sentences aren't accurate.

According to Pro, I have to show that prison sentences are accurate because I am in the Con position. I will now present my arguments, but first I will define a few key terms.

Sentence (law): the punishment given by a court of law. [1]

Accurate: conforming exactly to truth or to a standard. [2]

For the purpose of this debate, I will focus on the latter aspect of this definition. Specifically, that Prison sentences are accurate because they follow the standards set forth by the American Justice System.

Standard: a level of quality, achievement, etc., that is considered acceptable or desirable. [3]

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3] http://www.merriam-webster.com...

I. Prison sentences are standards used because they are accepted by our modern society.

When someone breaks a law, or commits an illegal act it is common practice to punish those participants accordingly. There are many actions that someone can do which are deemed illegal in accordance with modern law. For instance, if someone was planning to murder their mother and then did so by shooting their mother in the chest twice, then that person has committed the illegal act of murder. If caught by the police and charged by the state they were in, for this example we will use my home-state of Florida, then that person would be charged (most likely) with first-degree murder due to it being an unlawful killing that was both willful and premeditated. [4]

In Florida, someone who commits such an illegal act would most likely have two options under the current judicial system: Life without parole or the death penalty. [5] Such standards have been regulated on a federal level since 1984 when President Reagan signed the Comprehensive Crime Control Act. [6] This allowed for the creation of the United States Sentencing Commission which has since set forth the standards for the terms and lengths of prison sentences. Even on a State level, the prison sentence standards used are set into motion by organizations like the American Law Institute and the American Bar Association. [7] With such knowledgeable and reputable organizations providing templates that are being practiced, it is reasonable to assume that the continued and increased practice of such standards are due to the common acceptance of these standards set forth.

[4] http://criminal.findlaw.com...
[5] http://www.leg.state.fl.us...
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[7] http://en.wikipedia.org...

II. By following these standards, prison sentences are indeed accurate.

One only need look at the definition of the term 'accurate' that I have presented above to see that as long as judges follow the standards set forth, they are indeed accurate prison sentences that are being given to law-breakers.

An example would be Michel Escoto, who was convicted in April, 2014, of beating to death his newlywed wife for a $1 million insurance policy she had, and who is now sentenced to life without parole. [8] By following the standards of sentencing for first-degree murder in the state of Florida, we can see that the prison sentence given to Michel was accurate as it conformed exactly to the standards of sentencing that are currently in place for Florida Courts. [5]

[8] http://www.nydailynews.com...

III. My opponent failed to uphold his BOP.

As instigator, my opponent had a burden to show why prison sentences aren't accurate. My opponent has failed to present any evidence that supports his position on the resolution at hand. I ask that the audience please take this into consideration as I have shown fully that prison sentences are accurate in both terms of the acceptance and practice of sentencing standards and the case I presented where the court accurately followed such standards. My opponent has done none of the above, which is most certainly a requirement for any instigator in a debate.

In Conclusion,

I have presented why prison sentences are accurate from two positions, and have also presented sourced evidence to further support my claims. I have upheld my burden and have also followed the rules set forth in my opponents opening round. I ask that the audience please consider the fact that my opponent has broken his own rules, costing him 7 points automatically, while also failing to present any arguments to uphold his position as Pro.

I want to thank my opponent for starting this thought-provoking topic and look forward to any and all challenges from my opponent in the future.

Posted by Blade-of-Truth 3 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
There is another route I can take as well. I planned on executing both approaches when presenting my main contentions. We'll see how it turns out.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
All con has to do is say that prison sentences match up to legal standards
Vote Placed by NiamC 3 years ago
NiamC
BiologistBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: I admire that despite Pro still breaking his own rules, Con still provided an argument. I have nothing else to say
Vote Placed by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
BiologistBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Broke his own rule...