Artsbug
PotentImpact

Prisoners should have the right to vote.

PotentImpact has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Artsbug

Pro

I believe that prisoners should have the right to vote. I believe this because in politics the overwhelming view on crime is that longer and harsher sentences are better. No one is making election promises about how they're going to be soft on crime, it's all 'harsh on crime'.

So I believe that by giving the prisoners the vote, politicians would have to have a more balanced, and rehabilitation views on criminals.
Posted by Artsbug 1 year ago
Artsbug
Capitalistslave, I think if you live in a country then you should be allowed to vote, no matter where you came from. I also think that non-citizens should also be allowed to run for president, I live in New Zealand so this is already the law.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
Do you also think non-citizens, under certain circumstances, should be allowed to vote?

I personally think if you're not a citizen, but you live here and under jurisdiction of the United States government, you should be allowed to vote.

I mean, if the government has right to rule over you, you should have right to have a say in it, even if you're not a citizen.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
I had a previous debate on this before if you want to get some ideas and thought process going by reading my arguments for this: http://www.debate.org...=

I support your view, by the way.