goldman
PervRat

Prisons are an effective way to deal with criminals.

PervRat

goldman

Pro

Once upon a time Japan could enjoy a low crime rate compared with other highly developed countries like the United States. However, many crimes are taking place these days in Japan. In particular, many younger generation tend to commit crimes, reflecting the poor economic performance, the situation of difficulty in finding a job and the loss of the dreams for their future. Under these social and economic environment prisons are an effective way to deal with criminals. Firstly, people in big cities are always worried about the increasing number of crimes which often take place on the train like sexually indecent behaviour to a woman, murder or other serious crimes threatening human lives in public places. Therefore, prisons play an important role to deter the general public from being involved in crimes.
Secondly, criminals must be punished severely. Therefore, they must be sent to jail and urged to live every day according to the strict rules and regulations established by the prisons. This contributes to offering an opportunity for them to think about how important to lead a prudent life is. Finally, prisons play as a institution for social rehabilitation for criminals. They offer job training or vocational training for criminals. This helps them find a job which would be suitable for them and fend for themselves after serving their full term of sentence.
In conclusion no society exists without crimes and criminals. When we look back on the history, those who opposed to the idea or political philosophy of the political leaders were sent to prison and killed as a political criminal. The human dignity and human rights were destroyed there. We must keep in mind that in a democratic society prisons are required to be places, in which criminals are urged to make a decision for beginning their new and thoughtful life for their future after having finished their prison term. Therefore, prisons are an effective way not only to deal with criminals but to create a civilized and less-crime society.
I hope someone interested in this topic accepts this debate and expands the debate.
PervRat

Con

I thank my opponent, and admire his thinking of a topic and question I do not believe is considered either as deeply nor often enough, though frankly I would have preferred more than one round of debate.

I am not certain Japan's crime rate is higher than it once was, and I guess it depends on one's definition of 'crime.' Ninjas, as I understand it, were considered criminal thugs ... these days, they have been replaced by Yakuza. I am not very knowledgeable about the culture of crime in Japan, however. http://en.wikipedia.org... shows that in Japan, 1.0 homicides are committed for every 100,000 population whilst the United States has a murder rate nearly five times that, at 5.0 per 100,000. In terms of prisoners, the United States takes the proverbial cake with 756 persons in prison for every 100,000 population, compared with 62 for Japan (a mere 8.2% of the U.S. rate of incarceration) according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org...

I believe these numbers prove that having more prisons and prisoners does not translate into lowering crime. Beyond the statistics, I can only hypothesize reasoning in that people are not logical, rational beings, and many in the U.S. think more about gratifying short-term desires and not so much about our long-term future. I do agree with my opponent that hope or gloom over the future and economic and other personal situations affect a person's disposition to commit crime; however, I think these factors point to a more effective system to actually prevent crime than the mere threat of punishment, which I think is obvious from the numbers has not worked for the United States: deal with the factors that lead to people committing crime.

I believe developing a strong social safety network such as universal health care and economic policies to favor more people having more jobs by spreading wealth over concentrating wealth in the few (which conversely leaves a lot of people destitute), as well as a campaign to reduce the fear and ignorance of mental health; I believe that fear and ignorance of mental illness is so powerful in the United States, that people are terrified to admit they may need mental health help, go without, and doing so also contributes to crime. Nations with strong social safety networks (such a universal health care) have much lower rates of crime than the United States, and I believe this makes sense: if a person is not stressed that losing their job will mean they will become homeless and cannot get themselves or their family to a doctorif they need it, then that person will not feel so desperate and will be less likey to feel they have nothing to lose by resorting to crime.

I again thank my opponent for this interesting topic, and I look forward to seeing whether others find my arguments are strong, even if they do not necessarily agree with my conclusion.
Posted by PervRat 6 years ago
PervRat
Prisons don't effectively prevent crime, as I tried to say in my argument. Crime is rarely committed out of rational thought, and knowing one will probably go to jail for committing a crime is obviously not a deterrent.

In no way should my arguments be taken to mean I think people who commit crimes should be allowed to get away with them, but I do believe in the old saying that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure (something like that, I'm probably quoting it wrong).
Posted by goldman 6 years ago
goldman
Let me add my opinion to my argument. These days many movements are spreading over in many pats of the world such as China or Middle East countries. Many younger generation take part in the movements against the globalization of the economy and the dictatorial government controlled by the dictators seen in the Arab world. Global economy brings about many benefits for the big companies and their managers not for many workers of the world. People in the developing countries including China are exploited by the capitalists of the developed countries. They are suffering from low wages and poor working condition. These situation and their increasing anger not only toward foreign multinationals but toward un-democratic government contribute to triggering serious social unrest and violence. Therefore, I believe prisons play an important role to reduce crimes and to keep stability in society.
Vote Placed by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
goldmanPervRatTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had no substance to his arguments and didn't back them up with anything. This should have been at least a 3 round debate.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
goldmanPervRatTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con would have taken this with the BoP, "I believe developing a strong social safety network such as universal health care and economic policies to favor more people having more jobs by spreading wealth over concentrating wealth in the few (which conversely leaves a lot of people destitute), as well as a campaign to reduce the fear and ignorance of mental health" - while strong, and clearly outclassing Pro, sources would have been appreciated.
Vote Placed by detachment345 6 years ago
detachment345
goldmanPervRatTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't list any sources whatsoever while Con did yet negative reinforcement combined with the safety of keeping criminals away from the public sounds more reasonable than spreading the wealth of others to deal with crime.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 6 years ago
socialpinko
goldmanPervRatTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con not only refuted Pro's position that prisons can efectively deter crime, but provided an alternative and frankly better sounding option(social safety net). Con was also the only one to use sources. Would have liked a longer debate.
Vote Placed by boredinclass 6 years ago
boredinclass
goldmanPervRatTied
Reasons for voting decision: A word for the instigator- don't make debates 1 round only. You cannot effectively defend your position.