Privacy in The United States is Gone

American_With_A_Voice has forfeited round #3.

We will be debating the issues of privacy in the US. I believe all privacy is gone, and will use evidence, and basic knowledge to support these arguments. I am ONLY debating domestically, not about another country and it's privacy. I want a good debate, and someone who believes what theyre saying. Keep it fair, smart, and lets have a good debate.

I accept this debate. I will argue that privacy, while much harder to achieve than it used to be, still exists in some forms for normal citizens.

American_With_A_Voice forfeited this round.

My opponent forfeited the round. I will post my argument anyway, I guess.

Privacy in the United States is not gone, not by any means. Now, the instigator has not really highlighted any form of privacy, but it seems to me that what he mainly means by "privacy" is internet anonymity. It is technically possible, as a commenter pointed out, to completely shut one's self in a box and prevent most other types of federal snooping. But I will concentrate on internet anonymity.

There are many different ways protect one"s anonymity on the internet. An internet user could use, for instance, Tor. Tor is a search engine that was originally created by the U.S. navy in 1990 as a way for spies and intelligence agencies to communicate in complete secrecy. It relays information through a series of encryption programs, and allows users to communicate in almost complete anonymity. Realistically, the federal government will not really care what a normal citizen uses the internet for. The whole point of federal internet spying is to find terrorists and people who are actually a threat to national security. If one uses Tor, the NSA would have to take, at some level, special precautions in order to find said normal citizen. It wouldn"t actually take those precautions unless it believed that the user was actually doing something that was threatening. As such, the privacy of "normal citizens" is generally safe on Tor.

There are other means of protecting one"s privacy on the internet -- running information through proxy servers would be another example. I gave the example of Tor to provide what is probably the safest example out there. There are other ways of doing it. Regardless, privacy, on or off of the internet, is very much intact.
Posted by American_With_A_Voice 4 months ago
While it is acceptable to say that people have opened themselves up to publicity, it is for the sake of the debate, that I bias and base it off of the everyday people, who are susceptible to media, but should still value they're basic privacies and rights given to them as american citizens. @stensson

And yes the first round is acceptance, or you may post your first argument i will say that is fair as well.
Posted by Stensson 4 months ago
If I were to come to America and lock myself in a room with 4 wooden walls then I would be completely private.
^ A stupid example just to illustrate the little flaw in your debate's headline.

I can only assume that the point you're trying to make with this debate is the NSA spying, social networks etc, but the fact is that those people have opened themselves to such publicity - in some cases unwillingly, but nevertheless. Privacy must be sought and it does contradict the fact that privacy is a human right and those rights are being violated, but that's not what you are arguing about, correct?
Posted by ThePunisher1234 4 months ago
Is the first round for acceptance?