HSeaton
Bilbin

Privacy is an outdated norm in society.

HSeaton

HSeaton

Pro

In the 21st century, privacy is no longer the thing it used to be. The vast interconnected web of people we know as the internet, and the access we have to the lives and knowledge of each other, is widely recognized as one of the greatest achievements of our age. However, this does come at a cost: it reduces the privacy of individuals who are involved, trading away some knowledge about themselves in response for the knowledge they gain about everything else. Because of this, privacy of the kind we are used to can no longer be considered to be an accepted norm of society.
The main reason for this is because the new technology we now take for granted takes priority over, and conflicts with, the privacy that we also attempt to take for granted. Think about whenever any new technology comes along, with the potential to improve the way we connect with each other or to simplify and streamline aspects of our lives. Both of the above effects are intuitively desirable, as they make our lives easier, thus improving them. However, what is the argument that always comes up against anything trying to do this? Privacy. People expect that information about them should not be publicly available, even as they Google any questions they have to try find something on the internet that will answer their question. If you were trying to find the quadratic formula, you would expect it to be online. If you were trying to get information about a business, you would expect it to be online. Consequently, if you were trying to get information about a person, you would also expect it to be, to some extent, online. The whole idea of privacy totally disrupts this. Though privacy is nice, a balance is obviously desirable, and in our society, privacy of these forms ultimately disrupts our new way of life, and therefore the idea of privacy that has been accepted up until this point is not realistic to uphold in the new millennium.
Bilbin

Con

Privacy, like all things, in it of itself is subjective. The perception of each person's thoughts can widely scatter the view of what privacy is as a whole. When you as an individual think of privacy, what is it? Is it the total keeping of all personal information to yourself? Is it people not knowing enough that it will not interfere with your daily routine? This varies widely. Whatever the case, many people believe privacy to be a thing of the past. Ergo, this rather new invention has been demonized for its releasing of personal, valuable information. The expelling of this information should not have the Internet blamed. The individual people who either don't care or have a separate definition of privacy are to blame. Not only are they to blame, but the people whom talk about their and others private information, not knowing the facts, are to blame. Privacy is not simply a thing of the past; it is morphed into an understanding of it that is different compared to what it used to be. Do you really find this private information if you aren't looking for it? No, you find what is useful and get on to the normal world. The truth is, privacy hasn't changed; we have changed.
HSeaton

Pro

So what I see is your only real concern to debate here is basically the definition of privacy. Depending on the way you look at it you can consider it either as outdated or not outdated.
To try and get a good definition of what privacy is, it's important to consider why privacy is so valued. Privacy comes about because people want separation between themselves and the rest of the world. This can be likened to the walls of a house; what is you is on one side, and what is not you is kept on the other side, without overlap. While the extent of material that someone considers private can vary person to person, each individual has their own clearly defined barriers which constitute what is and isn't private for them. Material like your cellphone number isn't private sometimes and public sometimes, you either make it available to everyone who wants it or you don't.
Now what new inventions such as the internet do is they break down the clearly defined barriers by creating overlap between what is your private information and what isn't. Social media does this by collecting your personal information and feeding it to corporate entities. Websites do it by requiring your information to create accounts, and often using it to send you products and updates. Ads do it by looking at your details and search history to show you things you might like. This is all before you consider the possible effects of hackers or computer viruses, or what happens when something goes wrong.
Because of all of this, the barriers between our personal lives and outside society have become blurred, and this counteracts the core concepts of what privacy really is. As such, the norm of privacy is totally outdated.
Bilbin

Con

Look, I had actually completely agreed with you from the start. What I'm saying is, I wanted to have some kind of argument. You are a stupid poopy head for thinking these things.
Bilbin

Con

Your hair probably smells like cheese.
Posted by Bilbin 10 months ago
Bilbin
Goodreads
Search My Books
Join Goodreads

and meet your next favorite book!

Sign Up Now

Quotes About Privacy
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the life & writings of Benjamin Franklin

Tags: freedom, liberty, privacy, safety, security
like
I have to be alone very often. I'd be quite happy if I spent from Saturday night until Monday morning alone in my apartment. That's how I refuel."

(Audrey Hepburn: Many-Sided Charmer, LIFE Magazine, December 7, 1953)
Audrey Hepburn

Tags: alone, content, privacy, refueling, reprive, restoration, solitude, weekend
like
I find it wholesome to be alone the greater part of the time. To be in company, even with the best, is soon wearisome and dissipating. I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.
Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Tags: companions, company, privacy, solitude
like
Solitude sometimes is best society.
John Milton, Paradise Lost

Tags: companionship, privacy, solitude
like
All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.
Gabriel Garc"a M"rquez, Gabriel Garc"a M"rquez: a Life

Tags: life, privacy, public-image, secrecy
like
We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship.
C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Tags: christianity, friendship, privacy, solitude
like
If you read someone else's diary, you get what you deserve.
David Sedaris

Tags: diaries, journals, justice, privacy
like
Friends don"t spy; true friendship is about privacy, too.
Stephen King, Hearts in Atlantis

Tags: friends, friendship, privacy
like
I never said, 'I want to be alone.' I only said 'I want to be let alone!' There is all the difference.
Greta Garbo, Garbo

Tags: dignity, freedom, privacy, respect, solitude
like
To be left alone is the most precious thing o
Posted by Bilbin 10 months ago
Bilbin
Vote for me. I want to be president.
Posted by sdignoseeintfo 10 months ago
sdignoseeintfo
Hey can you help me win "Was the Atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki necessary?" if you do the firt person who helps me, I will vote for you in your "privacy is an outdated norm in society." debate
Vote Placed by Yraelz 10 months ago
Yraelz
HSeatonBilbinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro says privacy is an outdated norm. Con says that privacy is subjective and that people have changed. Pro defines a definition of privacy and offers an analogy for how modern technology has decreased privacy and affected the norm. Con says he/she completely agrees so I'm going to vote Pro on convincing arguments. There are no sources and no horrific S&G errors from either side, those remain tied. Con calls Pro a "stupid poopy head" so I'm going to give better conduct to Pro.