Privacy is endemically bad thing

first of all thankyou to my opponent to agreeing to debate with me on this issue
and secondly this argument may seem short but I wished to be consice and clear.

Now first of all I will start with the definition of privacy , I am going to use for the purposes of this debate.If my oppent disagrees with this definition I encourage him to challenge replace it.

1.The state or condition of being free from being observed or disturbed by other people.
2. The state of being free from public attention.
sourced from the google result for a unbiased opinion

My point (yes point) is a simple and fundemental one whats the point of privacy? Can anyone give me a reason to hide something from another person unless it is something of the worst nature. In other words why would you hide something that is not bad ?

My thanks to Jamie for proposing such an interesting topic.

Privacy is a fundamental human right recognized in the UN Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and in many other international and regional treaties. Privacy underpins human dignity and other key values such as freedom of association and freedom of speech. It has become one of the most important human rights issues of the modern age.[1]

My opponent claims that there is no reason to have Privacy; I will refute that claim with the following points, please note that these are also my arguments:

1) Privacy protects our dignity.
2) Privacy protects our personal selves.
3) Privacy protects us territorially.

I have noted how my opponent defined the word 'privacy,' but didn't actually show what it implied in his definition. I state the different aspects of privacy that we will be dealing with here:
Information Privacy, which involves the establishment of rules governing the collection and handling of personal data such as credit information and medical records;
Bodily privacy, which concerns the protection of people's physical selves against invasive procedures such as drug testing and cavity searches;
Privacy of communications, which covers the security and privacy of mail, telephones, email and other forms of communication; and
Territorial privacy, which concerns the setting of limits on intrusion into the domestic and other environments such as the workplace or public space.

my first argument is that privacy is good because it protects our dignity. Consider the affirmative teams case. Why hide if you have nothing to hide?

This is a common quote used throughout the privacy debate and I would like to point out that it is flawed in the sense that it doesn't accurately reflect the issue being debated.

In terms of human dignity, you may as well add a bit on the end to make it consistent with the Affirmative's claim: You have nothing to hide in a personal relationship with someone else. You have nothing to hide when using the toilets or showers. You have nothing to hide at all in your own home.

When all is said and done, we all know that there are some secrets which we would prefer that the rest of the world didn't know about, and quite obviously, places and times that we want private too.

The Affirmative does not share these beliefs, and if that is the case, then I say he is very inconsiderate towards other people.

My second point is that Privacy protects our person. Imagine this scenario; you are standing in a bus stop waiting for a bus and suddenly someone comes up to you and starts rummaging through your pockets. That is an invasion of privacy. Nobody wants that to happen to them. That's why its illegal.

Privacy also protects our person when it comes to finance. Is it really everyones right to know your credit card details or your PIN number?

Privacy protects other sensitive information too, names, birth dates, contacts and addresses.

These sorts of information are supposed to be private from everyone else due to safety. A simple fact.

My last point is that Privacy protects us territorially. Trespassing is a form of privacy infringement. One cannot simply walk into someone Else's house.

In conclusion, Privacy is a fundamentally good thing for humans, it protects our dignity, person, and information. The claim that it is an endemically bad thing is unconscionable.

First of all before I begin I will point out my opponent was very broad with what I am going to call for lack of a better word his "definition", of privacy and I want to clarify my argument for this , my revised definition of this will be simple if this pursuit of imformation will break any physical boundary ,such as ransacking someones house in the night, then it will be disregarded, this may seem unfair but the point I am trying to make is not that poeple should be able to hurt poeple for their curiosity ,or even that poeple should be forced to give up privacy, but that privacy is fundamentally a bad idea, that is does not achieve anything usefull or meaningfull.That, it is illogical.

Also my opponent points out that privacy is a fundamental human right but he does not me tell why this is the case his opening phrase is certainly a nice rhetoric but it it is not usefull in the context of this debate.

My opponents al point out that "there are times we dont want the rest of the world to know about" now I am a little confused about this could my opponent please clarify.

Also finally ,my opponent also points out that imformationin a form of a key such as a pin or a locker combo is a bad idea to give out, I completly agree with him because imformation such as that represents something other an it is more like a key than pure information and and therefore outside of the purview of this debate.

In conclusion privacy is something that encompasses alot of different fields and that is not very clearly defined, it is something that blurs the line with other subjects and the etherial nature of it makes it hard to debate about , but I hope that I have made this debate clearer.

Well, before I attack my opponents claims, I would just like to mention that his arguments are very hard to read and follow. From what I can see, there was no new material in his last post. So I guess I will just have to make do with defending my arguments. my apologies for not presenting my defense in thematic refutation style, its rather hard given Pros hard-to-follow post. Ill just tackle this paragraph by paragraph.

In his first paragraph, Pro points out that his case is based on the argument that '...[privacy] does not achieve anything useful or meaningful.' I would like to state some errors with this type of thinking. Assuming Pros definition, then privacy does indeed have a beneficial use.
a) Comfort
b) Anonymity
I don't wish to have an argument about utilitarianism, so we will work from the assumption that Comfort is a positive thing that makes people more happy. With this in mind, I would like to question the Pro's claim that Privacy is worthless given that it provides us with a level of peace of mind.

A sense of Anonymity gives most people further peace of mind too. It is rare to find someone who enjoys having other people stick their noses into his or her business.

Now that we have established that Privacy has a use to us, Pro has a BOP to support his claim that Privacy is a fundamentally bad idea.

In his second paragraph, Pro attacks one of my arguments and says that I need to state why privacy is a fundamental human right. I will not however, as that is irrelevant to the debate. Furthermore, even if it were relevant, I don't see why I would need to explain why its a right. I was just stating that Privacy is a basic human right, recognised in 50 countries[1].

Pro says in his last paragraph that privacy is not very clearly defined, So I will ask him to refine his definition simply because all of my arguments fit perfectly into it. If he does not, then due to the insubstantial rebuttals, my arguments will stand.

jamie56 forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited, my arguments and rebuttals stand strong. Vote Con.
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
Lets all have a vote: Who won this debate?
Posted by jamie56 4 years ago
I believe I have a better idea than you
Posted by Zacmoo0007 4 years ago
What? Do you have any idea what your talking about?
Posted by jamie56 4 years ago
As I said in the arguament that imformation is not just to do with privacy it gives person who nows it a capability to do something, so my knowing password on steam is more like stealing a key then knowing what colour I like or what gameI play the most.
Posted by xXFreeDoomXx 4 years ago
cuz of the mobile carrier thing that doesnt allow us to choose any other option except optus ...

and jamie... if u think privacy is a bad thing why dont you tell me your steam account and password since thats a privacy but its bad >:D
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
not many can
Posted by jamie56 4 years ago
true you probably would have won ,but why did nobody vote ?
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
yeah, this debate was so mine :| shame there wasnt any votes
Posted by Zacmoo0007 4 years ago
Hi James and Hi Ben!

Ben most certainly had that debate there. I could not cast a vote because I have not confirmed my identity yet...which could mean that I'm not the person who you think I am.....hehe............I'm batman! i'm not, you know who I am............batman.............

Anyway my comments on the debate are down below.

This debate is a waste of time arguing about! Don't you see Jamie? Imagine what people could be doing right now if what they were doing was supposed to be private but instead everyone is invading their "useless" privacy like a bunch of seagulls who want to steal your hot potato chips! Imagine James if everybody was involved in your life NOT giving you anytime to yourself! In my position that would drive me like an ABSOULT BANANA!!!!! I think people would want to kill themselves if they're in such a bad situation that they can't get anytime to themselves! Are you hearing what i'm saying James? I am 100% certain that most people would like to KILL THEMSELVES if it weren't for their privacy. I could go on and on and on and on about how privacy is, as Ben says, a definite human right!
Posted by jamie56 4 years ago
dam missed the time limit