xXCryptoXx
Glorious_Leader

Private Schools Should Have Students Wear Uniforms

xXCryptoXx

xXCryptoXx

Pro

Hello. Simple debate, I will be Pro and I will argue that students should wear school uniforms in private schools.

Definitions

Uniform - Identical clothing issued to school students to wear during school.

Student - Person who is recieving an education whether through school, or by other means.

Rules

1. Forfeit will resut in an auto loss and all 7 points going to the other person.

2. No semantics.

3. No trolling.

4. Nothing that would be considered innapropriate to the average DO member i.e plagiarism.
Glorious_Leader

Con

I assume I'm start with acceptance of the topic. Good luck, I look forward to reading your argument. The floor is yours.
xXCryptoXx

Pro

Yes, you are correct that first round is for acceptance. Thank you for givng me the benefit of doubt.

1) Benefits of Uniforms

1. Uniforms may increase a students self esteem because they do not have to worry constantly to be better dressed than those around them. Many kids are discouraged by the fact that they don't own, or cannot afford some of the clothing other kids can. Uniforms put all kids at the same level, and takes that much more stress off the students that cannot afford the latest "fashion".

2. Uniforms improve learning by not allowing kids to be distracted. Clothes can be a huge distraction when you are in the clasroom, especially if you are bored. Kids always want to know what others are wearing and even judge other students over it. Uniforms eliminate this problem and helps kids to stay focused in class.

3. Uniforms show that everyone there with you is part of your school. It shows you are all part of a team. It promotes school spirit and shows that everyone there is "on the same side".

4. Uniforms support conformity. Although some may think this isn't that great of a thing and that kids should express themselves, in the end, life is truly about conformity. Humans strive to be like each other and don't want to be the odd one out. Uniforms support this and put all students on equal terms instead of wealthy students coming in with their fancy jeans and shirts and the less fortunate students coming in with ratty looking clothes.

5. Uniforms help the school faculty to quickly identify who is part of the school and in the end could actually help in keeping strangers and potentially dangerous people off the campus.

I await my opponents response.

Glorious_Leader

Con

Interesting points. Thank you for a well thought out argument.

1. I accept the suggested statement that uniforms make it harder for children to identify each others' socioeconomic status, however I doubt that that necessarily stops discrimination. Clothes are usually an obvious flag of how much wealth the family of the child has. However, once you remove that as an identifying factor, you'll just find more subtle trends being utilized by high income students. Things like watches, jewelry, backpacks, and even school supplies. Even if all the children are dressed the same, those that wish to victimize others will find a way to identify their victim.

2. It's funny that you say clothes are a distraction when I've always felt the inverse is wildly more distracting.
But to be serious, I doubt this. When one observes an easily distracted child, they'll notice that if there's no stimulus to distract the child they'll generally end up fidgeting or finding some other way to amuse themselves. Clothes aren't the issue here. It's the child's attention span. And if that's the issue, it seems that we would be doing the children a disservice by sending them out into the world without teaching them how to focus when something as common as a t-shirt can steal their attention.

3. Your presence at the school identifies you as part of the student body. I doubt that promoting school spirit is worth taking away the right of the child to project their personality through their attire. To respond to this, please explain to me the merits of school spirit and how they improve the education of a student.

4. Conformity is not something to strive for. Conformity suppresses creativity, which is extremely important in the adult world. Look at the field of adverising, which is taking in massive amounts of graduates every year. Your main objective is to think up some kind of catchy ad campaign that will sell the product in question. In making everyone think the same, we hamper their ability to perform these kind of jobs. And by making them all feel like they are the same through promoting matching attire, we're shaping their minds as well.

There's also the issue of over achievement. By leading children to emulate their peers, you may suppress the capabilities of those that go beyond their fellow students in potential.

5. Someone that has malicious intent is generally going to plan out their ill doings on the campus. Uniforms are not hard to obtain. Even if they didn't match the students, assuming they wanted to cause true harm, the teachers and administration would likely be powerless to do anything. This point is ineffective if the majority of attacks on schools are examined. The only true way to stop this trend is by arming teachers or putting armed personnel at the schools.

In addition: Out of curiosity, how do you feel about religious articles? These can definitely contribute to children classifying each other, but it seems that we as a culture don't want to restrict students from fulfilling the obligations of their faith. Would you say such articles are allowed, or prohibited?
xXCryptoXx

Pro

Thank you for your response.

1)

Of course school uniforms won't completely stop discrimination. That's not the goal, and if it was it would be an unreachable one. No matter what, kids are going to be discriminated against because of race, religion, clothing, grades, heck basically anything! The point is, the goal is to put that discrimination at a near minimum without restricting the child's freedom too much. School uniforms do this well. By implementing uniforms you take out the biggest form of changeable (Race, religion, ect. cannot be changed) discrimination in schools. This puts children on nearly the same playing field unlike schools that do not have this which have kids lose the game before it even starts due to them being poor. By keeping jewelry, watches, ect. you still give the child the ability to express themselves in at least small ways. Also, from experience I can tell you that I have only started to figure out which families have higher incomes and lower incomes from students in the last couple of years. I am in 8th grade right now and I have been the the same class of only about 50 people so It's not as easy as one may think to spot them out.

2)

Then perhaps it is different for everyone because from my own experience I have payed less attention in class on a free dress day than I have on a regular day with uniforms. However, again, the point of this is to take one more distraction out of the classroom. I can admit that children will still have their minds wander in the classroom, but the less distraction the better.

“it seems that we would be doing the children a disservice by sending them out into the world without teaching them how to focus when something as common as a t-shirt can steal their attention.”

According to you, children will find a way to distract themselves regardless. Does that not mean we would be doing them a disservice by allowing them to have their minds wander during class? Or allow them to play with their pencil? Fact is, we are both working towards getting the kid to pay more attention in class and the less distraction the better. Free dress can be a big distraction and there are many other reasons school uniforms should be implemented, therefore we should take out free dress. I’m just saying that in addition to the all nice reasons school uniforms should be implemented, it also serves as one less distraction to the student.

3)

“Your presence at the school identifies you as part of the student body”. I doubt that promoting school spirit is worth taking away the right of the child to project their personality through their attire. To respond to this, please explain to me the merits of school spirit and how they improve the education of a student.”

Indeed. However, I am not just talking about being part of the school. I’m talking about teaching the students that they are basically a family in the school and they should be treated as such. School uniforms help to put them on the same level of respect with each other without them judging each other too early.

I explained why school spirit is good above, why students should be restricted with clothing, and how they can still express themselves in small ways, especially the most important way: Personality. School spirit does not improve the education of the student, but is sure as heck makes their social loves within school that much easier and may improve grades at least a little in the sense that it takes that much more stress of the student.

4)

I’m sorry; I should have clarified conformity a bit better. Let me explain.

“People often conform from a desire for security within a group—typically a group of a similar age, culture, religion, or educational status. This is often referred to as groupthink: a pattern of thought characterized by self-deception, forced manufacture of consent, and conformity to group values and ethics, which ignores realistic appraisal of other courses of action. Unwillingness to conform carries the risk of social rejection.”(1)

Basically school uniforms will automatically bring you all in a group of conformity together. Even if you all don’t necessarily like each other you all share the same trait and will treat each other as a group of people you belong to. This gives the child a feeling of security and helps them to feel as if they belong to something. Conformity does not necessarily mean everyone will think the same and do the same things.

“With the right environmental influence, conforming, in early childhood years, allows one learn and thus, adopt the appropriate behaviours necessary to interact and develop correctly within one's society”

5)

Yes, I will most definitely agree that this won’t stop malevolent things such as school shootings. What I was really talking about was homeless people, gang members, and strangers in general. These can all have potential danger and because they don’t have any “planned” action to terrorize the school they will most likely not be wearing a school uniform trying to pass themselves off as a student. This makes them very easy to spot and the school can make decisions from there on how to take care of the situation.

Additional Notes

Depends on the article of clothing. I am for school uniforms so I would be against shirts, pants ect. That support a certain religion but would be for bracelets, earrings, necklaces ect. That supports a religion. However, in a public school or any school that has no dress restrictions (with the exception of gruesome images ect.) I am completely for them being able to express their religion.

I await my opponents response.

(1) McLeod, S (November 2011). "Conformity". Simply psychology.

(2) L, G (March 1931). "Conformity". Peabody Journal of Education

Glorious_Leader

Con

Glorious_Leader forfeited this round.
xXCryptoXx

Pro

"Forfeit will result in an auto loss and all 7 points going to the other person."

Glorious_Leader

Con

Apologies for my failure to respond. Well played, your stance is strong and well supported. Really felt like I was grasping at straws anyways, as I've always felt a private institution has the right to institute rules as they see fit.

I most likely would have forfeited if I had a chance to get to a computer over the last couple days. GG.
Posted by Glorious_Leader 4 years ago
Glorious_Leader
It's no problem, man. I got a laugh out of the meme. Sorry I couldn't finish the debate.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 4 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Daktoria, please learn how to vote before you well, vote. My opponent conceded to my arguments, and forfeited a round which in my rules states that "Forfeit will resut in an auto loss and all 7 points going to the other person". You are giving an extremely biased vote and are presenting your own arguments as justification for refuting my own in the debate.

this is a debate between me and Glorious_Leader. Not you and me. Judge on our arguments against each other.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 4 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Good debate Con. :)

I apologize for the use of my meme as that may seem degrading. I thought you ad forfeit out of not being able to form your arguments. If I had known otherwise I would have not used it. I also purposely chose a private institution seeing that I agree that public schools need their "freedom of speech".
Posted by leojm 4 years ago
leojm
I totally agree with Pro 100%.
Vote Placed by Daktoria 4 years ago
Daktoria
xXCryptoXxGlorious_LeaderTied
Reasons for voting decision: The problem with Pro's argument is it's about private schools, not public schools. In a public school, everything Pro argues applies. In a private school, it's the exact opposite. Privacy is not equal, it has aesthetic style, does not automatically have everyone on the same team, does not automatically conform, and does not automatically identify. If anything, you would want to get rid of uniforms in a private school so students have freedom of expression. A private school should also teach its students how to encrypt and customize themselves so they aren't publicly identifiable. Uniforms decrypt and standardize students instead. The idea of uniforms completely contradicts what privacy stands for, and private schools which do this should be held responsible for misrepresentation and fraud.
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
xXCryptoXxGlorious_LeaderTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
xXCryptoXxGlorious_LeaderTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct/Argument: While con missed a round, in his closing statement he conceded making things easy on us voters. Sources: As much as I can't read those sources, I recognize enough about them from the campus book store and research for papers, that they're probably good (if not for the forfeit, I'd probably just not vote on sources as there were only 2). And yeah I read the intro rules, I just don't care to place 7 votes to one side.