Locutusofamerica
Louis_de_Pointe_du_Lac

Private law enforcement is an appropriate response to corrupt or ineffective public law enforcment.

Louis_de_Pointe_du_Lac

Locutusofamerica

Pro

1) It is the right of the people to have effective law enforcement.
2) At times, in some nations there is a lack of effective law enforcement.
3) The only available remedy at that point is for the citizens themselves to enforce the law.
Louis_de_Pointe_du_Lac

Con

I accept your debate and will be arguing against Private Law Enforcement as a viable solution to any perceived ineffectiveness of Public Law Enforcement.

I will begin by responding to the three contentions you put forth in the first round and then put forth my own.

1."It is the right of the people to have effective law enforcement."
I fully agree but this isn't the point either of us are arguing in this debate.

2."At times, in some nations there is a lack of effective law enforcement."
There is no denying that due to your non-specificity with the use of "some nations" as it is a known fact that some impoverished nations of the world simply lack the funding to provide their citizenry with effective Law Enforcement.

3." The only available remedy at that point is for the citizens themselves to enforce the law."
First off, Private Law enforcement isn't the citizenry organizing itself to enforce the law, which would be more akin to a neighborhood watch. A Private Police are law enforcement bodies that are owned and/or controlled by non-governmental entities, and in a nation where the very government can't even afford effective Law Enforcement, how do you expect the citizens to be willing or even able to pay for Privatized Police?

My first point for why I don't think it is a viable alternative to Public Law Enforcement has to do with its very application. If a group of citizens are pushing for a Private Police force to be implemented in their region or county, what is the motivation of the rest of the populace to chip in for the steep cost when a system is already in place that proves adequate for most of the populace?

With a police force already in place do you really think that infrastructure can be so easily removed? They won"t let themselves be expunged and could be motivated to do something about it. How do you think most people would react if someone was trying to take your work? It already is a common occurrence for there to be strained relations between Private and Public law enforcement. And since working for a private security firm takes much of the same skills as Public Law enforcement, most of the eligible professionals within a given area probably make up much of the current establishment anyways so you will have the very same supposedly corrupt people enforcing the law.

It would be unlikely for Private and Public Law Enforcement to simply coexist so in the possibility that Private Police does gain traction in an area, will they only serve the citizens capable of paying them? What about the rest of the populace? Will they simply left to their own devices if their lives are threatened?
Locutusofamerica

Pro

Locutusofamerica forfeited this round.
Louis_de_Pointe_du_Lac

Con

I maintain my previous arguments. It seems pro hasn't been online since before I accepted the debate so I doubt he even knows it has begun. I hope he returns soon so we can have a proper debate.
Locutusofamerica

Pro

Locutusofamerica forfeited this round.
Louis_de_Pointe_du_Lac

Con

Pro has unfortunately forfeited each round so my arguments were left untested. Vote Con.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
LocutusofamericaLouis_de_Pointe_du_LacTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture