cmarti10
Jjjohn

(Pro)Christianity vs (Con)Atheism

Jjjohn

cmarti10

Pro

Christianity is makes far more sense than Athiesm.
Jjjohn

Con

Ok, I'll bite. To respond to your argument, no it doesn't.

Using the definition of sense 'something sound or reasonable', Christianity is not sound because it is contradictory. It is not reasonable because it requires faith and faith is not acquired by reason or proof.
cmarti10

Pro

So you saying it takes faith to believe in a God? Does it not take more faith to believe that everything that exists came from one single cell? That the entire universe was created by a big bang? an accident? Or even evolution? Evolution can not be considered science because it has not been observed. Law of thermodynamics states chaos can never produce order. The sun comes up, the moon comes out, we have seasons, the tide goes in and out, everything works as a clock, everything is in order. For everything to be in order it must have been designed by a creator. The word universe for example; Uni means single; or one, verse: a statement. The two together meaning one single statement. In the very beginning of the bible God says "Let there be.." which is one single spoken statement.
Jjjohn

Con

The bible says it takes faith to please that god.

Hebrews 11 6 "And without faith it is impossible to please god, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him"

It does not take faith to believe in the Big Bang or evolution; all it takes is evidence. There is evidence of evolution being observed. Drug resistant bacteria would be an example.

The laws of thermodynamics do not appear to state what you claim. Can you provide the evidence of your claim?

Bill O'Reilly notwithstanding, the mechanism of the times is well understood.

This ends my rebuttal of your arguments.

Pro, you have yet to provide any proof to back up your claim of Christianity making more sense than Atheism.
cmarti10

Pro

Correct its does take faith to be a christian. I never said it did not.

I'm not saying the big band did not happen, but what would cause the big bang to happen? Something has to be behind it. When God spoke those words i would imagine a wonderful blast of light creating what is called the universe.

I would love to meet the person who watched evolution happen.

http://www.icr.org...

Christianity makes more sense because it goes back farther that evolution or even the big bang theory. IF evolution happened, what caused it? IF the big bang theory happened, what caused it? The world is far too perfect for there have not to have been a creator. The way nature works, how the human body works, how everything works together suck as rain and evaporation. If i told you there was a junk yard full of old rusty cars, and a tornado went through the junk yard, and when it left, it left behind a shiny red Lamborghini, you would think i would crazy to believe such a thing because something perfect does not come from nothing. It must have been created.
Jjjohn

Con

"Correct its does take faith to be a christian. I never said it did not."

I was responding to your question if I was claiming it faith to believe in a God?

"but what would cause the big bang to happen? "

A good question. There are hypothesis aplenty, but stating "I don't know" does offer any credence to a claim that a god started the universe. You haven't offered any proof that a god exists, let alone the power to make such creations.

"Christianity makes more sense because it goes back farther that evolution or even the big bang theory."

Neither of those things is atheism, thus contrasting the sense value of them is not the goal of your debate challenge.

My opponent has not met his burden of proof in anyway. I believe I have in my first response.

I thank my opponent for the opportunity to practice the forms of debate used in this forum, since I'm new here. Criticisms on how to improve would be welcome.
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 2 years ago
LifeMeansGodIsGood
It does not take faith to believe that a big bang or something happened and the universe appeared and one of the rocks developed the right temperature and atmosphere so that in one of it's billions of mud puddles, there was just the right amount and combination of chemicals so when ti got hit by lighting, the goo turned into tadpoles which grew legs and climbed a tree ans started swinging around untill they became monkeys and some of the monkeys were smart and the dumb ones laughed at them so they got mad and started making tools, then they built the internet and told everbody to thank their uncles for being monkeys. It takes no faith at all to believe this. The fact that bacteria become resistant to anti-bacterial drugs proves it all.
Posted by cosecant 2 years ago
cosecant
Con lacked something...... .
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
Even if the universe and science showed some evidence for existence of a God, there would still be Atheists.
Because of the stupidity produced by scripture writers and theists in public.
Just watch the likes of Ken Ham and William Lane Craig in debates and on their blogs, along with television nonsense from TV evangelists like Pat Robertson.

They make Christians appear as Unintelligent Loons.
Hardly creating an image that will attract Intelligent People to the fold.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
Atheists existed before Christianity, and certainly before Science.
Disbelief in God(s) was derided by Aristotle as they were called (Atheos) Godless, in Ancient Greece.
So Atheism has nothing to do with Science, Evolution or the Big Bang.
Most Atheists here are just dismayed with the stupidity that they find in religion and from religious clergy.
Many started as believers and lost their belief while they were reading the Bible, as they found much of the Bible as ridiculous.
This is the reason I stopped believing, I started reading the Bible like a novel and by the time I reached Leviticus, I started becoming dismayed with the idiotic ineptness of the writers and their misconceptions of life and humanity, not to mention the Depraved Violence and Megalomaniac (Jealous) God.
Yes, reading the Bible ended my study of Theology and turned me atheist.
As it has done to many of my colleagues.
I quite happily (at the time) accepted Evolution and God as being compatible, so Evolution had nothing to do with my turning away from Christianity, it was all due to the Madness of the Bible.
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
KhalifV
Faith is inherently irrational. Also nothing had to start the big bang. Quantum mechanics dictates that everything doesn't need a cause. Furthermore space and time came into existence after the big bang, to catalyze the universe one would have to exist outside of space and time, which is an incoherent idea.
Posted by revweb 2 years ago
revweb
new here so apologies if I don't make any sense!:)...

But the round two, the pro seems to be under the illusion that he is disregarding or rather believing that Christianity makes more sense than atheism by immediately jumping to the conclusion that the atheist perspective is one that assumes without christianity that the big bang is true, while most atheists do think that, it is not the position or rather definition of atheism.

The pro argument here is absolutely awful, it shows no understanding of the simple definition of atheist, that of "disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods." rather than making a positive claim, atheists simply do not believe the evidence put down by Religion or in this care christianity, given the fantastic amount of contradiction and unreliability of claims in the bible the atheist point makes more sense (even if it's not true) myself, I'm an atheist, and even if I wasn't I'd still say atheism made more sense given what we now know in this day and age, It'd be pretty damn hard to argue or make sense of Christianity.

That all said, the Pro easily loses this, with such a poorly constructed argument and simple lack of understanding of the definition of words.
Posted by Jjjohn 2 years ago
Jjjohn
Damn, I shoulda watched youtube earlier. Pro's final argument was copped form this guy

https://www.facebook.com...

Whatcha gonna do?
Posted by Empiren 2 years ago
Empiren
Pro's argument boils down to "well god started everything" and the proof behind that is most likely the Bible.
Which is text unsupported by fact or logic from thousand's of years ago.

The fact that Christianity takes faith and Atheism does not, ends the argument right there.
Vote Placed by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
cmarti10JjjohnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's argument was full of fallacies, Evolution and even science has nothing to do with Atheism, as Atheism existed before Christianity, many in ancient Greece were Atheists (Atheos) mentioned by Aristotle. Though Pro did provide a source (a fallacious source though) to back Pro's argument, where Con cited no sources, even though Con's arguments were less fallacious. Most Atheists have little scientific knowledge, they don't even think of The Big Bang nor Evolution, they just don't think Christians and Religious people are rational, some just don't consider that there is any real evidence for their God, because they read the Bible and found it to be Stupid. The Bible created many Atheists. This had nothing to do with Science, if science textbooks were as stupid as the Bible, there would be few believers in science.
Vote Placed by Raymond_Reddington 2 years ago
Raymond_Reddington
cmarti10JjjohnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Most of pro's arguments were based on his incredulity or ignorance. While Con provided few arguments he gets the points. Pro's lack of knowledge about the Big Bang or Evolution are not considered arguments.
Vote Placed by Your_Conscience 2 years ago
Your_Conscience
cmarti10JjjohnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had more comprehensible reason, and Pro focused on a single statement.
Vote Placed by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Cold-Mind
cmarti10JjjohnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments go to Con just because Pro made tons of wild statements: - Big bang is accident - Evolution has not been observed - Law of thermodynamics can't produce order (By my definition chaos is "order we do not understand", as far as we know, nothing is law independent) - For everything to be in order it must have been designed by a creator - Evolution and Big Bang must have a cause - If world is "far to perfect" (whatever that may mean) then there is a creator Pro may ask me questions(whose answers are relevant to my decision) as longs as he is polite.
Vote Placed by doomswatter 2 years ago
doomswatter
cmarti10JjjohnTied
Reasons for voting decision: The debate seemed muddled to me, but Con did have a couple good points while Pro had none.