RavenReminant
Its-you-or-me

Pro Gaming a sport

Its-you-or-me
Started: 4/12/2009 Category: Sports

RavenReminant

Pro

Pro Gaming is a sport....if anyone would like to con this do so as i will show what overwhelming facts i have to win this.
Its-you-or-me

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate and wish him luck.

Since my opponent only stated he has overwhelming facts to present I have nothing to refute so I will go on to present my arguments. My opponent gave no def. of sport so I will put one forth. Sport-an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc" By that definition it shows that pro gaming is not a sport. It does not push the physical limits of the human body, and there is no frequent movement of each muscle in the human body.

Also from one of the staff members blogs saying himself that it is not a sport. "No, professional gaming is not a sport. While it's a viable form of competition and, according to some definitions of the word sport, it's easy to define pro gaming as such, the key to distinguishing viable forms of competition, such as competitive gaming and basketball, from sports is athletic activity. While poker, chess and gaming are viable professional, competitive activities they are dissimilar to sports such as basketball and tennis that require physical exertion. By adding this requirement we make the way we talk about things more clearly defined. The fact that gaming is not a "traditional" sport defines it as something else while not taking away at all from what is has in common with a sport. We classify things as specifically as possible in order to clarify discussion." by Brick from MLGpro.com

If people who work for it don't classify it as a sport it shouldn't be one.
RavenReminant

Pro

It's nice to see you again. I see this time your disagreeing with me but that is ok.

As you see my opponent has stated the Definition of Sport. As it being an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. If you take a good look at the definition it doesn't say requiring skill "and" physical prowess, it says "or" which automatically means it doesn't have to have physical prowess, and take it from an upcoming pro, Gaming needs skill. Now this takes me to something I just need to throw in just in case my opponent here wants to say Athlete means you need physical contact with as well. we derive the word Athlete from Greek times. The Greek meaning for "Athlete" means "one who competes for a prize"

Now for the staff member saying that he doesn't count Pro gaming as a sport. That is just his opinion on it. He may not consider what he works for a sport, But Mike Sepso the founder of MLG Strictly calls pro gaming a sport...if you don't believe me listen to the Mike Sepso interview with Kiwi box.

I think that is a good enough argument. Now i wait.
Its-you-or-me

Con

Its-you-or-me forfeited this round.
RavenReminant

Pro

RavenReminant forfeited this round.
Its-you-or-me

Con

Sorry to have forfeited last round busy that day.

My opponent recognizes that I have stated the Definition of Sport. What he says is that it is unneeded because it says skill or physical prowess not "and" and gaming requires a skill although he failed to give an example he just said it required one, so until he does this the argument has no ground.

Greek word argument-This is the English language, by presenting the word Greek meaning of Athlete doesn't change the definitions meaning. Plus you gave the Greek meaning of athlete not athletic so that is useless. Also it still doesn't push the physical limits of the human body you have failed to refute that.

Mike Sepso-"A church divided, is no church at all."- Jacque Fresco. My reasoning for posting this is because if one believes it is a real sport and one does not it can be nothing. Also can you provide evidence like a link to a video of him saying that.

Thank you. I know pass it over to my opponent
RavenReminant

Pro

RavenReminant forfeited this round.
Its-you-or-me

Con

Extend my arguments.
RavenReminant

Pro

RavenReminant forfeited this round.
Its-you-or-me

Con

Extend My arguments.
Vote Con.
Posted by RavenReminant 8 years ago
RavenReminant
The Greek word athletic means "one who competes for a prize" in pro gaming you compete for a prize so it automatically makes you an athlete
Posted by questionmark 8 years ago
questionmark
number one says it has to be athletic. i assumed by pro gaming you meant video games, which are not athletic.
Posted by RavenReminant 8 years ago
RavenReminant
Questionmark number 1 fits as well...lol, and I-Am-a-panda....i will win even if i went first....and come on just try...it will end quickly
Posted by questionmark 8 years ago
questionmark
i looked up the definition of sport on dictionary .com, read #3, it fits. http://dictionary.reference.com...
Posted by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
I'd take this up but 5 rounds make me sleepy. Favorite'd.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Bah, another "You go before me" trap.
Vote Placed by Its-you-or-me 8 years ago
Its-you-or-me
RavenReminantIts-you-or-meTied