OScaloraNHS
RSylviaNHS

Pro Legal Abortion

OScaloraNHS

Pro

Abortion should be legal because it is a women's right as a human being to choose what she wants to do with her body. The Supreme Court recognizes the "fundamental right" of a women to choose abortion as a result of the Roe v. Wade case in 1973 (1). Also, personhood starts at birth, not conception (2). In the past, fetus' have never been considered a full human being, but only a part of the mother's body until birth.

(1) http://www.foxnews.com...

(2) http://www.dailykos.com...#
RSylviaNHS

Con

Although the Supreme Court recognizes the "fundamental right" of a woman to choose abortion as an option since the Roe v. Wade case (1) failure to acknowlege the fact that abortion is the killing of a human life is evident. Since abortion was first legalized in 1973, over 54 million unborn children have been killed, whch is equivalent to one baby every 20 seconds (2). Abortion should not be an option for anyone because life is taken away from a person without their consent. What if that life could have went on the be a doctor and save lifes? What if that life could have found the cure for cancer? All those 'what if's' will never have an answer because the lives attached to them do not get a say in whether they will die or not. Many important and prestigous people throughout history are infact babies born from rape. These people include Eartha Kitt, Frederick Douglass, John Cox and Ryan Scott Bomberger (3). If their parents had not chosen to concieve these children, the world would have been without some very important historical figures. It is not just for someone to determine if the life of someone else is worth it, even if they have never met them before. Why should a mother decide whether a child should be able to live? Would you like it if someone else was able to decided if you should live or not? Ofcourse not, because it is not fair for the child.

(1) http://www.foxnews.com...
(2) http://www.tfpstudentaction.org...
(3) http://www.rebeccakiessling.com...
OScaloraNHS

Pro

Women who are victims of rape should not be forced to carry out a pregnancy. 1 in 3 women are likely to be victims of sexual violence in their lifetime (1) . If abortion was made illegal, 33% of women would be forced to carry out a pregnancy against their will. This can interfere with a woman's life to the highest extent. Most of the women who face rape and sexual violence which result in pregnancy are not physically, mentally, or financially prepared to raise a child. The option for abortion should be readily available for these women because it is their right as a human being to decide what they would like to do with their own body. Not only does making abortion illegal disrupt and violate the rights of women across America, it also increases the amount of unwanted and accidental children in the country. While adoption seems like an easy solution to an unintended pregnancy and a convenient substitution for abortion, millions of unwanted children are awaiting adoption and will remain orphan or be sent to foster care (2). 400,540 children are living without permanent families in the United States. 115,000 of those children are eligible for adoption, however 40% of these children will wait an agonizing 3 years until someone adopts them (3) . To bring a child into this world only to send them to an orphanage or foster care without guarantee of a permanent home until adulthood, and to increase the growing number of children waiting to be adopted in America is a cruel and heartless punishment to those who were a result of rape and accident.

(1) http://www.oneinfourusa.org...
(2) http://amplifyyourvoice.org...
(3) http://www.ccainstitute.org...
RSylviaNHS

Con

First of all I would like to start off saying that you did not give me a second argument, you just responded to my argument with a counterclaim so there is really nothing new for me to argue against here.

Second. I would like to pose a question for you. Are the procedures and precautions taken when aborting a child always the safest for the fetus and the mother when bringing the thought of late-term abortions into consideration? In case you were not aware, there are nine different types of abortion. Each one of these different types is depended upon which trimester the woman is in. In the first trimester the woman has a choice between medical and surgical abortions. Medical abortions are those which can only be put in affect during the first nine weeks of gestation (The period of development in the uterus from conception until birth) (1). These types of abortion include Methotrexate & Misoprostol, Mifepristone and Misoprostol, Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA), and Aspiration. During the Second Trimester medicinal procedures will no longer work. Instead, abortion methods such as Dilation & Curettage (D&C), Dilation & Evacuation (D & E), and Induction Abortion are used. D&C and D&E are fairly similar routines used for aborting unwanted fetus, but Induction abortion is very different. During Induction abortion salt water, urea, or potassium chloride is injected into the amniotic sac; prostaglandins are inserted into the vagina and pitocin is injected intravenously (2). Finally in the third and final trimester, there are only two types of abortion which can be performed. Note that not every state allows third trimester abortion and is illegal in many places. Since abortion is such a controversial topic, states have taken action to put laws and regulations on abortion. 41 states prohibit some abortions after a certain point in pregnancy. 21 states impose prohibitions at fetal viability. 4 states impose prohibitions in the third trimester. 16 states impose prohibitions after a certain number of weeks, generally 24 weeks or during the third trimester; 8 of these states ban abortion at 20 weeks post-fertilization or its equivalent of 22 weeks after the woman"s last menstrual period on the grounds that the fetus can feel pain at that point in gestation (3). Third trimester abortion is frowned upon by many states because by this point the fetus has developed more and can feel. Saying that abortion at this point in a childs development is perfectly acceptable is disgusting. Many medical offices will not perform abortions on fetuses which are viable, or able to live on their own. This stage of life is typically 24 weeks into pregnancy, just between the end of the second trimester and the beginning of the first trimester. Although typically this thought process is used for deciding whether to abort a child or not, its not law. This means that technically, if the child is not born, medical practices could abort fetuses at whatever point in their development they wanted as long as the child was not outside of the womb. Viability is an area of assumption regarding abortion because the 'what if' question will always come into effect. This allows a loop hole for abortions to occur and damage a fetus which, in some cases, posses the ability to survive on its own, even though it is still inside the mothers womb. It is up to the state whether or not a third trimester abortion is legal and can be carried out in two ways, either induction abortion though injections, or dialation and extraction which is when a surgical abortion procedure is used to terminate a pregnancy after 21 weeks of gestation. This procedure is also known as D & X, Intact D & X, Intrauterine Cranial Decompression and Partial Birth Abortion. This type of abortion is illegal in the United States since the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act of 1995 was passed. Abortion is such an inhumane and disgusting act that laws were passed AGAINST it. How can this type of abortion be seen as ok?

(1)http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
(2)http://americanpregnancy.org...
(3) http://www.guttmacher.org...
OScaloraNHS

Pro

OScaloraNHS forfeited this round.
RSylviaNHS

Con

Abortion in the United States is not just a few deaths here and there when someone no longer wants a child, it all adds up. And although many people like to use the idea that abortion should be allowed for extreme circumstances, often times, babies are aborted for convenience. There is no nice way to think about abortion because it is a cruel and brutal decision. It allows women to senselessly make decisions to get rid of mistakes they made, and teaches them nothing about what they have done. Having abortion a doctors visit always allows women and men to learn no consequences from the decisions which they chose which led them to an unwanted pregnancy. There are many shocking facts about abortion as well which clearly makes it an undesirable and inhumane decision.

#1 There have been more than 53 million abortions performed in the United States since Roe v. Wade was decided back in 1973. (1)

#2 When you total up all forms of abortion, including those caused by the abortion drug RU 486, the grand total comes to more than a million abortions performed in the United States every single year. (1)

#3 The number of American babies killed by abortion each year is roughly equal to the number of U.S. military deaths that have occurred in all of the wars that the United States has ever been involved in combined. (1)

#4 The unborn baby's heart starts beating at 20 days and the brain gives off brainwaves at 40 days. (2)

#5 Babies can survive outside the womb at 21 weeks. By 14 weeks, the entire body surface, except the back and top of the head, are sensitive to pain. (2)

(1)http://endoftheamericandream.com...
(2)http://www.tfpstudentaction.org...
OScaloraNHS

Pro

Abortion is not only about only terminating an unborn child, it is the decision of the woman to decide what she wants to do with her pregnancy, accidental or not. Abortion is not a cruel, brutal, or senseless decision either. Due to the fact that unborn fetuses are unable to feel pain until much later in the pregnancy because of the underdeveloped sensory region in the brain (1), there should be no moral issue here. Abortion is a personal decision between a woman, her family, and her doctor, not the judicial branch. A fetus is part of a woman's body until the umbilical chord is cut. Prior to birth, a fetus is completely dependent and reliable on the mother's nutrients (2) , technically an extension of the women's body, giving her the right to terminate the pregnancy or not.

(1) http://www.spiked-online.com...
(2) http://www.nutritioninthewomb.org...
RSylviaNHS

Con

Obviously a woman should hold the right to terminate the pregnancy or not because it is her body and I do understand your point. However, that is not what we're arguing here. This is about whether abortion should be legal or not, not who holds the rights to allow abortion to be a decision or not. If a woman really wants to kill a child, then let her, but the point is, she should not because abortion should not be legal.
You started off your argument in round four by saying that unborn fetuses are unable to feel pain until later on in the pregnancy, how exactly does that claim make abortion ok? Even you just validated the statement that umborn fetuses can feel pain. Whether its during the first timester or the third, an unborn fetus is an unborn fetus so pain should not even be an option. It is worse for an unborn fetus to feel pain when it is developing duing the third trimester anyway because that is when most of its body is being developed so it can survive on your own. Like you said in your last sentence, "a fetus is completely depended and reliable on the mother's mutrients" (1), so if that is the case, the third trimester of pregnancy is still important.
How many benefitial aspects come out of aborting a child? If you think that relief or peace of mind is one of them, you're completely incorrect. "A new study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry by leading American researcher Dr. Priscilla Coleman of Bowling Green State University finds women who have an abortion face almost double the risk of mental health problems as women who have their baby" (2). Women do not just walk into abortion clinics then leave ten minutes later whistling a happy song, there are many side effects related to women's mental health that come along with aborting a baby. Yes, it should be the mothers choice to abort a baby, but not only is the fetus impacted negatively, but the mother as well. It is proven that "abortion was linked with a 34 percent chance of anxiety disorders, and 37 percent higher possibility of depression, a more than double risk of alcohol abuse (110 percent), a three times greater risk of marijuana use (220 percent), and 155 percent greater risk of trying to commit suicide" (2). Although one might try and claim that a woman needs an abortion because of her mental or financial struggle already, now she will have an added on weight known as her decision to abort a child. That is not something that you can undo, when you get an abortion you cannot go back. Abortions are serious and permanent and are often very difficult for ex-mothers to cope with. The following passage is an exerpt from a story told by a young woman who chose abortion, "When I got home it finally hit me, and I curled up in my boyfriend"s arms and sobbed myself to sleep. Finally I could get my life back on track, but I felt ashamed, how could I do this? I'd always imagined getting pregnant to be something to celebrate; I didn't get the fairytale. I was back at work three days after. My boss knew but I didn't speak to anyone else. It was very much just 'get on with it'. I would speak to my mum if I was feeling down but then I got so used to spending my time at work putting on a front, I got used to pushing things to the back of my mind. A few months later I had a breakdown. I couldn't handle it anymore and I started the post-abortion counselling..." (3). Abortion is a very huge deal and ruins the life of more than just the fetus. Imagine making a strong decision such as getting an abortion then hating yourself for it for years after because you wish you hadn't done it. Getting an abortion is not just a matter of 'yes' or 'no' it requires a lot of thought and research, mostly pointing toward the conception of the fetus in the end, rather than abortion. Have you ever wondered what happens to a fetus after it is aborted? it is not mourned like a person who lived their entire life. It is not (in most cases) buried like a loved pet. When a fetus is aborted it is taken care of and disposed properly by the hospital staff, and that is disgusting.
I read an article online about what aborted fetus cells are used for and it made me want to throw up. It had been proven and uncovered that the Pepsi softdrink company was found using the cells of aborted fetuses in their product as a means to "enahnce flavor". Not only was this uncovered, but the government gave Pepsi an 'Ok' to continue with it afterward. "The Obama Administration has given its blessing to PepsiCo to continue utilizing the services of a company that produces flavor chemicals for the beverage giant using aborted human fetal tissue. LifeSiteNews.com reports that the Obama Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) has decided that PepsiCo's arrangement with San Diego, Cal.-based Senomyx, which produces flavor enhancing chemicals for Pepsi using human embryonic kidney tissue, simply constitutes "ordinary business operations." (4). PLEASE try and tell me that this is not absolutely repulsive to imagine as well as read. Using human life, baby ABORTED fetuses in a drink to enhance flavor? Are you KIDDING me? That is repulsive. For this to be a valid occurence and for people to not see anything wrong with this are awful. Abortion is being taken to far, and when legal, has no limits. Abortion being legal has no humane aspect to it, because the whole idea of aborting a fetus is that a fetus is not a human and not an independent source of life. If this is true, then that means that once a fetus is aborted, it is not a human and holds no human rights like any other baby would. This technically means that when the fetus is no longer inside the "host" (I won't even use the word mother because it is so backwards in this case) it's fair game to do whatever with, and that includes putting its cells into softdrinks. Aditional companies also use fetal tissue and cells in their products such as nestle and kraft. So next time you decide to sit down with a bowl of Kraft mac & cheese and wash it down with a pepsi, tell me how that aborted fetus tastes.

(1) http://www.nutritioninthewomb.org...
(2 ) http://www.lifenews.com...
(3) http://www.careconfidential.com...
(4) http://www.naturalnews.com...
OScaloraNHS

Pro

OScaloraNHS forfeited this round.
RSylviaNHS

Con

RSylviaNHS forfeited this round.
Posted by NorthDebater 4 years ago
NorthDebater
Honestly, Con has better arguements, in my eyes.
Posted by McCainOffensive 4 years ago
McCainOffensive
Can I point out the fallacy of the "wasted good potential argument"? Because I cringe every time I see it. If someone aborted could go on to become a doctor and save countless of lives, who's to say that child won't grow up to become the next Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, (or any other genocidal dictator you can think of) and kill hundreds of thousands of people? Or, if you're not that ambitious, just become a humble serial killer or mass shooter and rack up a kill count in the mid to high teens? People seem to forget that no one is born good or bad, but how we are raised determines who we are.

The rape argument is also complete BS, no matter which side your arguing from. It's still a choice, a fetus is a fetus (or a little baby is a little baby) no matter how it's conceived. You're just giving yourself an additional reason to terminate. The only situation in which choice is removed from the equation is when it threatens the life of the mother, in which case the mother's life should always take precedence (by dint of seniority if nothing else).

I'd also like to point out the flaws in the way this debate is even framed. Any argument regarding abortion in the legal sense is a moot point, as that was decided by the supreme court in Roe v. Wade, becoming the law of the land. Take law out of this argument and you get to the real issue of this perennial debate: When does life begin?

That should have been the title of the debate, not about abortion. Abortion is an ugly, ugly word that destroys any debate in which it is used, because when it is brought out the argument quickly devolves into a biblical vs. medical dogmatic name calling contest in which both sides lose and we all go to hell. Also known as the ER.

Sorry, kind of went off on a rant there.