Marauder
michael186

Pro-Life with Rape exception

Marauder

Con

First thing I would like to make extra clear since last time I tried to do this debate someone who was pro abortion accepted it and then refused to debate when they realized exactly what the resolution meant.

BOTH THE PRO AND CON POSITIONS ARE PRO-LIFE SIDES FOR THIS DEBATE.

Did you read that above sentence? Good. Did you read the resolution all the way through and think about what it means “Pro-Life with Rape exception”? Good.

While I support Mitt Romney for president, he has recently come out and said he believes in anti-abortion legislation having rape exceptions, recent polls I have seen put on tv with that story have also shown the majority of people who are pro-life say they support the rape exceptions and it’s a smaller percentage that says they think abortion is wrong even if a girl gets pregnant from rape.

This shocks me, and I would like to find someone who takes that position or at least thinks they can rationally pretend to.

I will be arguing you cannot rationally be Pro-Life (anti-abortion) With exception of Rape cases, that it is only a consistent logical position when there are no exceptions for rape added.

You (my opponent) will be arguing it can be rational to be Pro-Life (anti-abortion) but with the exception of Rape cases.

First round is for acceptance. I really see no need for definitions this debate right now, I think what we are debating has been explained enough; no vague terms have been used.

And with that I sign out and thank whoever my opponent will be for accepting this debate.

michael186

Pro

Well I want to say first in my opinion is that I might agree what you say and I was wondering if you can elaborate this case for me a bit better because its my first time debating politics and also mostly when I debate, it doesn't mean I will always agree to it in real life, but what matters to me is how you debate it and prove it because that's what matters so that is what I'm going to do when I'm debating so don't criticize me. I will try out this debate just to have fun with it and I will see what I can do to prove my side that you can be pro life with the exceptions of rape cases.

So just hope we have a good time with this debate and thanks for giving this interesting challenge.
Marauder

Con

Welcome to DDO, hope you have fun on this site in your future debates. some advice for any future debates you want to accapt, if you dont fully understand what the debate is about ASK ABOUT IT IN THE COMMENT SECTION and above all else DONT ACCAPT IT UNTIL YOU SURE YOU UNDERSTAND IT ENOUGH

I cant elaborate further for you because there is nothing to futher elaborate, all the cards are already on the table, I told you we are both debateing a pro-life side position but YOU are debating FOR a rape exception, and I am debating AGAINST rape exceptions. all you have to do this debate is show you can be rationally consistant in taking a pro-life stance but support rape exceptions like GOP presedential canidate Mitt Romney does. Theres nothing more to be said on the that.

So now on with the actual debate.

There are many veiws on abortion, and though I disagree with many of them I can at least respect them. for example a libitarian typically while admitting the procedure is morally wrong, still support its leagallity on the same grounds they support smoking weed being leagle.

or a person who is completely for abortion on the grounds that they do not even view the baby as a life until it comes out of the womb so there is no issue outside of the womans rights for them. I disagree with that but its at least consistant.

A view that is not consistent though is the one this debate is about. And yet all to often you hear political pundits on the news speak of a conservative as being really far right when they are against abortion “even in cases of rape”. As if that’s the nutty extreme and a moderate rational less extreme thinking individual who thinks abortions should be illegal would at least allow for an exception in cases of rape.

But its my case to say its completely sane to continue to be against abortion “even in cases of rape” and you are the one who ‘radically’ being something crazy when you say your against abortion “except in cases of rape”.

The foundation of why anyone argues for pro-life, that abortions should be illegal in any of the cases is that the baby yet to born is alive and it has a right to continue to live. That abortion is in a sense a cold blooded murder of the innocent. That the “woman’s right to choose” what to do with “her body” when they come into a conflict with the “inalienable right to life” of another, their unborn child. And that’s the way all rights go that are ever protected by the government, they come to an end when you use them to infringe upon the same rights of another.

And yet abortion supporters bring up “what about cases of rape” or “well the girl could have been raped” in abortion debates all the time like it has any bearing on the debate topic at all. Like it’s a valid point that needs refuted because it inherently makes a deference to the debate over if abortion should be legal or if its morally right or wrong.

But it clearly does not make any logical difference to the debate topic. That baby can not help who sired it, and it does not change the fact that it is alive. Those were the reasons for being pro-life before, so how can they be abandoned now for an exception to cases involving rape? When did we start punishing children for the sins of their fathers?

I once herd it put this way when a preacher was asked by a doctor why an abortion is still wrong in cases of rape. The preacher said “well lets say the girl goes through with the pregnancy and she is holding her 6 month old baby and it brings back the memories of the rape for her so she kills it then, is it murder then?” and the doctor says “Yes” the preacher goes on “lets say its just one month old and she has it put down is it murder then?” and the doctor still says “yes” the preacher presses on “lets say she has it put down one minute after its born” the doctor gets kind of quite seeing where this going and said “yes” “how about a minute before its born, is it murder then?”

You wouldn’t uses the circumstances of the conception to justify the ending of a life after the child had been delivered would you? How much difference is there one minute before it’s born and one minute after?

In order to rationally support abortions in cases of rape you have to support them in all cases. Because the foundational principals for the pro-life position you have to abandon for “in cases of rape” are identical to the ones “not in cases of rape”. So the baby does not have an inherent right to have its life protected because a rapist sired it? then where does its right to its life come from, in cases of consensual sex, what source is there that’s not there in cases of rape?

If you cannot answer that question or show whole new foundations for being pro-life than the one I have given you lose this debate.

I await my opponent’s response.

michael186

Pro

michael186 forfeited this round.
Marauder

Con

Marauder forfeited this round.
michael186

Pro

michael186 forfeited this round.
Marauder

Con

Marauder forfeited this round.
michael186

Pro

michael186 forfeited this round.
Posted by Marauder 4 years ago
Marauder
http://www.gallup.com...
http://www.pollingreport.com...
perhaps its just rare to see on DDO. the polls I just linked show its supposedly a more widespread view.
Posted by Billdekel 4 years ago
Billdekel
I think the position you want to debate is very rare. All pro lifers I know(including myself) are in agreement with you,that you cannot rationally be anti-abortion except in rape cases.