Pro Wrestling is more difficult than Mixed Martial Arts

Started: 8/29/2012 Category: Sports

Hey guys. I'm just throwing out this challenge, and I'm just asking for somebody who thinks that MMA is more difficult than pro wrestling.

First round is for acceptance only.

And for voters, please vote with who you thought did a better job, and not because you don't like either Pro Wrestling or MMA. Thank you, and good luck to my future opponent.

I am extremely interested to see even vaguely how the pro can slightly win this debate. I can't even picture one way it's true.

I would like to thank con for accepting the argument.

Now, I believe that Pro Wrestling is more difficult than MMA mentally, physically and emotionally.

Pro Wrestling is more difficult than the MMA mentally because of the fact that wrestlers need to have a certain kind of intelligence that most people don't. Now, there is a common misconception about pro wrestling matches being rehearsed. That is inaccurate, because pro wrestlers couldn't possibly memorize the several hundreds of sequences of moves that goes into a single match. Wrestlers mostly make up the moves on the go. The only orders wrestlers are given in most cases are who wins and who loses, and what stipulation their match is, and in a few cases, how the match is to be won (submission, pinfall, count out, etc.).

Pro wrestlers are also smart businessmen/businesswomen. A wrestler needs to know when to sign that long and lucrative contract and when to pass it up to try and improve. Mick Foley said how he once walked away from a contract signing with the WWF when he realized that his character would not be a championship contender. That must have been a very hard decision for Mick, because he was very young in his career when he had this opportunity.

Now we go to physical toughness. The first part of physical toughness I will talk about is pain threshold. Now, most people that there are springs in the ring or a layer of foam, comforting the fall of the pro wrestlers. That is a lie. Pro wrestling rings are your standard boxing ring, and trust me when I say that moves like suplexes and backdrops and several high-flying moves (e.g. The Frog Splash) all will make you grit your teeth upon the impact. And those ropes that look like bungee cords, aren't really bungee cords. They are steel cords, and during my first week at the camp I had no idea how to fall against the ropes, and I was putting all my pressure against my kidneys, and that pressure made me urinate blood. But put those beside the point, if a wrestler gets injured during a match, unless it's very serious (e.g. a concussion or a torn pectoral muscle) you have to play through the pain. Mick Foley finished a match against Vader, even though he had 2/3 of his ear ripped off his head. Now compare that with a MMA fighter. If they're hurt to that extreme, all they have to do is tell the ref that they're forfeiting. That means that Mixed Martial Artists have much more options as far as match outcomes are concerned. And here we add the fact that wrestlers constantly wrestle with injuries that most MMA fighters wouldn't want to even consider fighting with. Dolph Ziggler, a pro wrestler for the WWE wrestled with a broken jaw after a botched punch from Hugh Jackman had broken it on a live episode of Monday Night Raw.

The second part of physical toughness I will talk about is physical toughness. Wrestlers need to be physically strong to do the moves that they do. John Cena is the WWE's pound for pound toughest man. He has lifted both the Big Show and Edge, a combined weight of over 600 pounds! John Cena is also a completely legitimate man, who has never touched steroids in his WWE career. Even though there are very few men in the world who can achieve a feat even close to that, almost every wrestler needs to have the strength to lift at least 250 pounds between 275 pounds several nights a week. A wrestler also needs the endurance to perform up to four shows a week. Now, if I'm not mistaken, MMA fighters have nearly a month to prepare before their next big fight, correct?

The last part of physical toughness that I would like to point out is endurance. Wrestlers (at least some of the better ones) need to be able to wrestle a 7-20 minute match on a regular week night, and possibly up to 40 minutes, 50 minutes, or possibly even over an hour during a pay per view. Now while I will admit that MMA fighters have great endurance, they only need to fight for 5 minutes at a time before the break comes along. Wrestlers get few breaks in a match because there is not a round system that works in any wrestling promotion. Wrestlers are giving it 100% every time they go into the ring and 120% every time they go into the ring during a pay per view. But another kind of endurance I want to talk about is long term endurance. I know from experience that wrestling is one of those sports that leaves you hardly able to move in the morning. It hurts, with bruises everywhere, but you have to get out of bed and prepare for that night's match. Now, as I've said before, MMA fighters have usually around one month to rest up, and then prepare for their next big fight. And, let me add that wrestlers often wrestle with injuries that MMA fighters don't normally have to go into a fight with. Bruised ribs, broken jaws, and broken noses, just to name a few, help make up the list that pro wrestlers go to work with on a daily basis.

Now I will talk about emotional toughness.

Emotional toughness will start out with how wrestlers are able to stay sane wile constantly traveling. It must be very difficult for wrestlers, constantly flying and driving to destinations that could be across country or possibly could be half a world away. WWE superstar The Miz tweeted recently "On my way to my second home, the airport!" That helps show how often pro wrestlers travel, with less time to spend with their families. It must be incredibly tough on both the wrestler and his kids. But again, MMA fighters only travel about once a month to a destination, giving them much more time to spend with their family and friends.

Another reason pro wrestlers are very emotionally tough is their resistance to temptation. Think about it, with no wife around a guy can get lonely, which can lead to the temptation of adultery. Now I know that I don't have to explain what adultery is, but it is impossible to explain the temptation a man who hasn't seen his family in awhile to be driving past a strip club. And since MMA fighters are home most of the time, most don't have that problem. Another temptation is the temptation to use drugs. Now, I know that wrestling has a bad reputation for steroids, but some of wrestling's biggest stars haven't touched drugs ever. John Cena has never taken steroids. CM Punk has never taken any kind of drug or even had alcohol. Daniel Bryan takes it one step further and is a vegan. These three people are arguably the biggest name in wrestling right now, and none have taken steroids in their professional careers.

Now I come to the fact that every time a wrestler steps inside that ring, he faces a possibility of death. Now although not many have died in this business, Owen Hart was literally killed at a live show with the infamous piledriver. Owen, however, has also paralyzed two other wrestlers with that exact same move. Injuries happen all the time. John Cena has a surgically repaired neck, and so does former WWE superstar John Morrison. Jesse Sorrensen has had a broken neck in a live televised match recently, thanks to a moonsault by his opponent that night Zema Ion. Shawn Michaels broke three ribs thanks to a missed moonsault in a match against Ric Flair. My point is, you have to have some to go into the ring and know that you possibly might not walk out. That's got to be the hardest part for these wrestlers, knowing you may never go home to see your kids again. And as far as I recall, there are no recorded deaths in modern Mixed Martial Arts.

Good luck to my opponent in Round 2, but I ask that they please don't post their argument until Saturday at the earliest. I'm accompanying my dad to a pig roast where there's no WiFi so I don't want to forfeit a round because of that. Thanks you

My opponent failed to define difficult (by which we can determine which is more difficult)

This point stands: -

Difficult: not easily or readily done; requiring much labor, skill, orplanning to be performed successfully.[1]

There is a fundamental truth (similar to an axiom) as to why I do not see pro wrestling as difficult as MMA. Unless my opponet can disprove what I shall say, we shall consider this true throughout the debate. If you were to put a gorilla in a WWE wrestling match. It would 999/1000 times (AT THE VERY LEAST) win. this is based on the fact that an adult gorilla's upper body strength is six times more powerful than that of an adult human - enabling them to lift, break, and squeeze heavy objects[2]. However, MMA has rules and regulations and techniques to learn that simply make it too intellectually demanding a task for the average gorilla is not as intelligent as average human.

I shall now explain MMA and its difficulties.

Originating from the full contact sport of Vale tudo in Brazil, the UFC was created in the United States in 1993 with minimal rules, and was promoted as a competition to determine the most effective marital art for unarmed combat situations.

It wasn't long before the fighters realized that if they wanted to be competitive among the best, they needed to train in additional disciplines. UFC fighters began to morph into well-rounded, balanced fighters that could fight standing or on the floor. This blend of fighting styles and skills became known as mixed martial arts (MMA).

Today, the UFC is the premier organization in MMA and enforces the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts without exception. With more than 20 fights every year, the UFC hosts most of the top-rankedfighters in the world. Events are held not only in America, but in many countries all over the globe.

With several motivations and influences shown in the media, the Mixed Martial Arts have also paved the way for people to get interested on it as well as the MMA Training. What is shown in television, and even what is fed on the daily use of internet made it a success to introduce the art of defense system to people.

Mixed Martial Arts or MMA training can be a little difficult at times, especially when a practitioner is just starting off. While it is true that MMA training is just like the trainings for other martial arts, there still seems to be a difference in between.

The contributions that each martial arts have poured upon MMA, was an easy way to understand how it is done, and why it should be like that. Thanks to that, having even just a slight experience or background on how the training goes for the MMA training, makes it a possible combat sport to train on.

The MMA training would usually begin in classes. There are some particular schools that one interested beginner could get into. Because the Mixed Martial Arts have been famous, there have also been schools that have offered classes as well as trainings to cater the needs and wants of those who want to get into some grappling and ground flooring combat.

The reality of having to experience the pain first makes deeper sense why training is a must. Without proper training and good knowledge of the MMA, it would be harder to accept the difficulties that MMA has in store.

s://; alt=" MMA Training" width="341" height="227" />

MMA Training in Kingston Ontario

Before even starting to take classes and trainings, it is an advantage if the fighter wannabe have had what it takes to take on the challenge. This is one of the purpose of the schools that are established for the martial arts. One of which is the MMA classes in Kingston, Ontario.

Potentials' first priority before the classes and trainings of MMA in Kingston Ontario, is to be able to sign up. Signing up for the sole cause would help and make the practitioner understand the benefits of the school or gym where the MMA is being practiced.

First thing to happen would usually involve classes. For any activity, in any field of sports, classes as part of the training would usually be the first in line to be listed in the list of the practitioner. This is because before heading into the full training and getting into that battlefield, terms and conditions of the mixed martial arts should be presented first to allow the familiarization and the education of the combat sport. MMA in Kingston does what is best to its students because tough fighters of the martial art have made their place in Kingston, Ontario.

After all the teaching of the basics of the MMA in Kingston is completed, the MMA training in Kingston Ontario comes right after it. Although it is believed that schools and gyms in Kingston are not the only one which offers to take on the challenge on training and conducting classes on aspiring students, they have that one particular training method which allows them to be very exceptional than all the others. This method will only be known and experienced if the student is at the actual environment of the said school.

My opponent made several good points in this argument. But his reference to putting a gorilla in a wrestling match is irrational. If you put a gorilla in a fight with any human being, it would murder that human, Mixed Martial Artist or Pro Wrestler. And although the MMA do have rules and regulations and techniques that make it "to intellectually demanding a task, for the average gorilla is not as intelligent as the average human," Pro Wrestling also has a strict set of rules and regulations and training. I was in no way insulting the intelligence of Mixed Martial Artists with my statement, and I do understand that Mixed Martial Artists do have to have a certain kind of intelligence to be successful.

You say that "Mixed Martial Arts or MMA training can be difficult at times, especially when a practitioner is just starting off." Well, currently in a pro wrestling school myself, I can say that this is also incredibly difficult. I am not denying the difficulty of MMA training schools, but I can say with confidence that my pro wrestling school is without a doubt the most intense thing I've ever done. I go home with my muscles sore and with black and blue marks covering my body. I have to perfect my vocal skills. I have to perfect my acting skills. I have to perfect the best of three worlds, while a MMA fighter only needs to be good at fighting. I have to be good at fighting, AND entertaining.

You say here, "The MMA training usually begins in classes." Now, so does pro wrestling, which, as I'm sure is a difficulty in MMA training, means that you have the added difficulty of standing out in a crowd. The thing that makes pro wrestling more difficult in this regard is [1] You have to stand out in at least 2 of the 3 skills I talked about in the former paragraph (Fighting, Vocal Skills, or Acting), and [2] We don't get the option to take personalized trainings. Sure every now and again, a coach will pull us away from the group for a few minutes, but my coach is usually too busy working as a general manager for a regional wrestling promotion. He has little free time that he would much rather use spending with his family than training students.

"The reality of having to experience the pain first makes deeper sense why training is a must." First of all, I don't understand what you mean by "they experience the pain first," so I'm just assuming that you mean by that comment as mixed martial artists experience more pain than pro wrestlers. That is again, untrue. I've been in a few critique matches for my school, with the time limit ranging from between five minutes to twenty five minutes. The five minute matches can make you grit your teeth, the matches that go after ten minutes make you sweat, and the matches after twenty minutes will leave you breathless. Now, compare this to Mixed Martial Arts, which is divided in five minute rounds. Now although I do understand that in the MMA you give it 110% every second of that five minute round, but you still get that break in between rounds, while with Pro Wrestling you get very few breathers.

I wish my opponent good luck in the next round.

The issue with MMA is the 'civilisation' of the techniques to learn, Wrestling is purely about learning to take pain and shout (and act to a very basic level) MMA you need to learn how to think up combos that abide by numerous rules and also deliver lots of damage per hit etc, wreslting is just about building yourself up before the match enough to take hit after hit.

This is the fundamental difference of wreslting and MMA. Wrestling is only difficult until the fight. The fight itsel is jsut bahing into each other, the hard bit being preparing your body to be huge and tough ineough to take bashes. MMA is extremely focus-requiring (thus no acting) as it's purely skilled fighters.

My opponent stated that wrestling is "only difficult until the fight. The fight itself is just bashing into each other, the hard bit being preparing your body to be huge and tough enough to take the bashes." Trust me, this statement is completely false. It is hard preparing your body, and then the fight is hard. I've been in ten minute matches where a minute before they started and I felt like a million bucks, and in the end I end up feeling like I just got hit by a whole high-way of cars. Now I am no doubt denying the pain that MMA fighters feel in the end of a fight, but with pro wrestlers you have the added difficulty of playing through the pain. With the MMA if you get hurt enough that you can't concentrate all you have to do and go over to Mr. Referee and say "Hey buddy, I don't think this can go on." In pro wrestlers, referees aren't like that. Refs have to deal as pacemaker, an official, and a timekeeper. I've done this personally, but I went up to a ref and told him that I didn't think I could continue. He asked me if I thought I was having a heart attack or a concussion or a neck injury, and when I said no to all three he said "Son unless you think you're gonna' die you HAVE to finish that match." And guess what, I finished the match, got checked out by the ringside doctor, and found out that I had a torn muscle in my arm from lifting a guy who weighed 325 pounds (I'm only 6'1" and 234, and I like jumping more than lifting).

You also said that pro wrestling is "purely about learning how to take pain and shout (and act to a very basic level), while in the MMA you need to learn how to think up combos that abide by numerous rules and also deliver lots of damage per hit, etc." While you're right about Mixed Martial Artists needing to know how to deliver maximum damage per hit, that is about as far as your statement goes. First of all, when we shout, it means that the move that just happened to us REALLY hurt. You seldom see a pro wrestler shouting because that's not a good sell, which is what we do. Selling is making the audience believe that the move hurt a whole lot more than it did. Now don't get me wrong, those moves hurt, a LOT, but you never shout. It's kind of the golden rule of wrestling. Once you shout, you're really hurt, and that's when the ref knows to finish a match. WWE superstar Dolph Ziggler is perhaps the only exception in that golden rule.

You also said that "MMA fighters also need to think up combos that abide by numerous rules." While that is true, who ever said that wrestlers don't do that. I have a strict set of rules to follow when I wrestle a match, because if I break one somebody could get very hurt. A buddy of mine who had just graduated, in his first match, broke one rule for the promotion he was working for. He broke his opponent's arm and was fined, released, and then sued by the other guy for the money to pay for the medical bill. He still has that on his USA record and he can't get work anywhere in the USA because nobody wants to put their wrestlers in danger. I currently have no clue where he is, but that's beside the point. The point is that wrestling has a set of rules, and if you break them the consequences are just as great in wrestling as in the world of Mixed Martial Arts.

And my last point is that you said that we have to "act at a very basic level." Buddy, you're talking to a guy whose been in my pro wrestling school for about two years, and I can tell you that cutting a promo or doing a backstage skit uses a LOT of acting skill. True you don't need to be Hollywood good, but you have to be good enough to get a reaction from the audience, which is harder than it looks. I am a good talker, and I'm one of the best promo and skit men in my class, but let me tell you from experience that it's a very challenging task to get a good promo or skit done. Some great technical guys in my group are at the bottom of the pack because they can't give promos relevant to their character. I am somewhat towards the top, and I'll be the first to admit that I am a poor technical wrestler, but I can give some promos that would make CM Punk, the best promo man in the business proud.

Well, this is the end of the debate for me, so I would like to thank con for accepting the challenge and stepping up to the plate. Good luck.

Wrestling is just like cavemen bashign into each other screaming (NOT IN PAIN BUT SCREAMING IN ANGER) OOOOOOOOOOOAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHH I DA BEST LOK AT ME! OOH OHH AH AH! I BE DA WRESTLAAAAA! MMA is not about the acting, the image, the fakeness, the steroid muscles or the ripped image (MMA and UFC fighter do have ripped muscle but often due to hard owrk nto steroids). They have short hair, not gay long hair and htey know what is going down in life, it's not the acting or the falseness it's real hardcore combo, lesson and hard work. No joke, no ake no bullsh!t!

That's the way!
Posted by ZacharyDamon 4 years ago
I don't want to sound bad here, but seriously, how disrespectful was my opponent in the last round? Seriously, I showed him and Mixed Martial Artists respect throughout the whole debate and he ends it by blatantly disrespecting pro wrestling? I don't want to sound mean, but when I made this debate I was expecting to have a nice little argument with an adult, not a child.
Posted by Juggler37 4 years ago
These are two completely different fields. MMA is difficult like fighting is; Pro wrestling is difficult like theater is.
Vote Placed by Mathaelthedestroyer 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Even though I completely disagree with pro, he ultimately had a better argument. Con put up one decent argument in the first round and his subsequent argument lacked substance. Pro made interesting points and therefore wins.