obrzutcasper
bigdave

Pro for foreign cars, con for american

bigdave
Started: 12/29/2013 Category: Cars

obrzutcasper

Pro

How can you even compare a lambo to a truck. a nissan titan is just as capable of transporting anything just as good as a chevy. yeah youre right that a jeep can beet a bentley off-road. but thats because a bently was made for the comfort of a smooth road. the british bowler wildcat would completley destroy any jeep off road. yeah a mustang is a pretty cool ride (only the V8), but if you could have any car in the world would you really choose a mustang? Theres at least 6 mustangs on my block, let alone all the other blocks. would you not rather have a Mercedes C63 AMG or even a GTR? either of those would not only turn heads but would obliterate a mustang.
bigdave

Con

Pro says , "How can you even compare a lambo to a truck. a Nissan titan is just as capable of transporting anything just as good as a Chevy."

Con says, Yes but the truck bested the Lambo in the measure of moving gravel. Point ..... America!

The Nissan truck would be bested by a Peterbuilt in the measure of moving gravel. Point .... America!

Pro says, "yeah youre right that a jeep can beet a bentley off-road." Point ...... America!

Pro says, "yeah a mustang is a pretty cool ride" Point ..... America!

Pro asks, " would you not rather have a Mercedes C63 AMG or even a GTR"

Con says, NO. Point.... America.

Total America 5 points. Foreign O points.
obrzutcasper

Pro

obrzutcasper forfeited this round.
bigdave

Con

I initially declined this debate. The topic is really the domain of opinion rather than fact. The criteria for concluding the debate has not been laid out. In the face of all this, I began to reflect on other questions similar to this one. I decided to accept the debate and have some fun with it.

Having owned both domestic and foreign cars, the question comes up, "Which is better, foreign or domestic?"

I have a friend that owned a Porsche, but will not have another. First off, the car was not very reliable. Once the engine simply stopped. It was towed to a dealer about 50 miles away who noted that the valves needed to be adjusted every 3000 miles at a cost of $350! No more Porsches for her!

Then there was a Volvo in need of a wheel bearing. The car was laid up for 3 months. The wheel bearing was out of stock at the Ohio dealership and was ordered from the warehouse. The wheel bearing was out of stock at the New York warehouse and was ordered from the auto plant in Sweden. The wheel bearing was out of stock at the auto plant and was ordered from the supplier. The supplier shipped the bearing, not to the New York warehouse or to the Ohio dealership, but rather to Sweden. The auto plant did not ship to the Ohio Dealership, but instead to the New York warehouse. The warehouse shipped to the dealer. When the Volvo owner saw that the bearing, which took 90 days to get had been manufactured in Ohio in a town about a 35 minute drive away. he said "No more Volvos!"

As another anecdote, take the owner of the Renault that waited 3 years for a mechanical brake cable.

Now granted this can also happen with domestics. I once had a 4 year old Ford stuck at a dealer for 30 days waiting for a part to be manufactured, but that is rare (and the dealer supplied me with a loaner car for the entire time at no cost to me!).

I once drove a Ferrari that was being delivered to a customer. The trip was short, maybe less than 50 miles. The car looked sexy without a doubt. It handled very well but most of its abilities were lost in driving on American roads. I returned as a passenger in a Chevy Chevelle, which was quite a contrast, but both cars completed their portion of the trip reliably and safely. The Chevy did it more efficiently in terms of purchase cost, maintenance cost, cost per mile, etc.

Untimely, my CON position is NOT about American cars are better. My CON position is that foreign cars are NOT better. PRO needs to demonstrate in non subjective measures that foreign is better. Otherwise CON wins!
obrzutcasper

Pro

obrzutcasper forfeited this round.
bigdave

Con

I am often amazed by the things that people believe that are not true.

For example "A speaker cabinet made out of plywood will always sound terrible" (FALSE)
or "Tube amplifiers sound better than solid state" (FALSE)
or "You need 4WD to go in the snow "(FALSE)
or " If the debt limit is not raised, the US Government will go into default" (FALSE)

***********************

Here is another item"

" You might have heard that six of the top ten best-selling vehicles in the United States come from foreign automakers.
But it turns out that almost all of them are actually "made in America."

"It seems like there are a lot of auto manufacturers from foreign countries that are building factories here now," says Jim Prueter of AAA.

-Toyota Camry - built in Georgetown, KY
-Honda Accord - built in Marysville, OH
-Nissan Altima - built in Smyrna, TN
-Hyundai Sonata - built in Birmingham, AL
-Subaru Forester - built in Lafayette, IN
-BMW X3 - built in Spartanburg, S.C.
-Honda Civic - built in Greensburg, IN
-Toyota Corolla - built in Blue Springs, MI
-Volkswagen Passat - built in Chattanooga, TN
-Mercedes-Benz ML - built in Tuscaloosa, AL

On the flip side, some "American" cars aren't built in America and instead are constructed in foreign countries such as Mexico, Canada, Japan and Korea.

The Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ, Cadillac SRX and Dodge Journey, for example, are built in Mexico. The Chevy Camaro, Impala and Equinox are built in Canada, along with the Cadillac XTS, Dodge Charger and Challenger."

source: http://www.azfamily.com...

*************************

Again I am not saying that American cars are better. I am arguing that the quality of "better" is not conditioned on the car being foreign or domestic. The quality of "better" depends on how a vehicle is to be used, where it will be used, and how it is needed. What is better to Ralph may not be better to Richard!

I have often said that if I lived in an area where Swedish was the common language, I would drive a Volvo. It might then be better as far as repairs and parts.

*************************
Posted by thisisbob 3 years ago
thisisbob
I love it! I made a debate like this, but was for European cars, and crushed my opponent. However, the 'American' will win this one, I think. Good luck! :)
Vote Placed by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
obrzutcasperbigdaveTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit and pro didn't even argue
Vote Placed by janetsanders733 3 years ago
janetsanders733
obrzutcasperbigdaveTied