JimShady
123maxabc

Pro: the Earth is flat, Con: The Earth is not flat

123maxabc has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

JimShady

Con

Another debate on the classic topic of "is the Earth flat or not." I, the Con, will be arguing that it is not, and you the Pro, will be arguing that it is. You are expected to use science in you argument and follow all the standard debate procedure on DDO.

Round 1: Acceptance, definitions, questions on rules.
Round 2: Arguments, Rebuttals

This is going to be a short debate. I also want to point out that I will have no chance to have rebuttals on my opponents arguments, so therefore he or she will have a pretty good advantage and can make good use of it.

Definitions (all from dictionary.com):

1. flat: horizontally level
2. curved: the act or extent of curving.
3. Earth: (often initial capital letter) the planet third in order from the sun, having an equatorial diameter of 7926 miles (12,755 km) and a polar diameter of 7900 miles (12,714 km), a mean distance from the sun of 92.9 million miles (149.6 million km), and a period of revolution of 365.26 days, and having one satellite.
123maxabc

Pro

Go to google earth, or go to google images and look up the earth. Heck, become an astronaut if you really need to.

I think that's all to it.
JimShady

Con

For all the voters, I'll refute my opponent's Round 2 argument in the comments. In this round I just want to propose my own.

My opponent is wrong, the Earth is not flat. And to prove this, I'm going to use a very simple science fact. On Earth, there are these things called mountains. Here's some pictures of mountains: https://www.google.com....

According to my definition of flat in round 1, flat means horizontally level. Mountains, which are features of the Earth's surface, are not horizontally level. They have length, width, AND height. Therefore, the Earth is not flat. You might be thinking that, "Well hey, I thought this guy meant that the world is spherical, of course it is not going to be perfectly flat." I never claimed that the Earth is spherical, only that is wasn't flat. And because mountains exist and have the 3rd dimension of height, the Earth is not flat.
Posted by JimShady 11 months ago
JimShady
It got him to forfeit, at least.

This is mainly a troll debate... I'm taking advantage of his/he unwillingness to be specific enough about the definition of "flat". Technically, I'm right, and my argument is valid because it supports the definition of flat I posted in round 1 (which the Pro did not disagree with). Of course I have other arguments in my arsenal, but I employed this, and it worked.

Also, the fact that he says look at Google maps, a 2d view of the earth, it suggests that he thinks of it as 2d, so my 3d example is correct. And also, don't be so confrontational, please.
Posted by suharry123 12 months ago
suharry123
Uh, your idea of disproving the earth is flat is flawed. You shouldn't simply be using the dictionary definition for flat, you should be trying to disprove the flat earth believers' belief. In their view, the north pole is in the center, and the lands exist around it. Antarctica is actually a huge wall of ice that surrounds this world.

Additionally, on the cosmic scale of things, mountains and canyons and the such doesn't really help your argument. Seriously, based on your mountain example, you can literally used anything 3-dimensional. Flat earth believers are not arguing that we live in a 2-dimensional world, they are arguing about the shape of the earth. Your argument is pointless and poses no threat to their argument that the earth is planer in shape.
Posted by SuperTrooper44 1 year ago
SuperTrooper44
Whenever pro responds, vote for con
Posted by SuperTrooper44 1 year ago
SuperTrooper44
Whenever pro responds, vote for con
Posted by NBO66 1 year ago
NBO66
@Cobalt well, the Pro is trying to defend something that is scientifically proven false, so...it's pretty even IMO
Posted by JimShady 1 year ago
JimShady
OK, you have a good point. However, there is a glitch where if I edit my debate, it makes me have to fill in the opponent slot, and I don't want a specific opponent. So, I'll put my rebuttal in the comment section and direct voters to it.
Posted by Cobalt 1 year ago
Cobalt
You should probably at least add a third round for proper rebuttals. If Pro presents an argument and rebuts yours, I'd vote for him. Even if his arguments are terrible and rebuttals worse, all of his claims will be unchallenged while yours will be in contention. From a debate theory standpoint, there's absolutely no way Pro could lose if he minimally responds with a case and rebuttals in R2.