SitaraMusica
A341

Prochoice is proabortion.

A341

SitaraMusica

Pro

My job as creator of this debate is to prove that prochoice is proabortion. Proabortion means that someone supports abortion being legal. Prochoice means the same, therefore prochoice is proabortion.
A341

Con

Here are some basic reasons why I support the legalisation of abortion while not supporting the practice in any way:

I want to avoid back ally abortions which are considerably more likely to cause serious harm or death to the mother.

I don't feel comfortable with the checks the government would have to carry out to make sure that there were no abortions going on.

I don't think that I should legislate my personal morality. I don't want others to force their morality onto me and so I feel I shouldn't force my morality onto them.

I would prefer to win the battle of ideas, not the battle of government force as this is both more moral (according to me) and would lead to a much longer enduring outcome.

Post Script: I should add that it is somewhat strange to see a so called libertarian proposing fascist regulations on what women can or cannot do with their own bodies.
SitaraMusica

Pro

I am forfeiting my debate because I realize I was wrong. I do object to my opponant's use of the no true Scotsman fallacy though. Libertarians can be prolife.
A341

Con

For what it's worth I didn't say libertarians could not be pro-life. There is often a considerable amount of personal hypocrisy in pro life libertarians and I consider pro-lifers to be fascist (at least to some extent) but I am not going to say that you are not a libertarian as I don't really care about labels.
SitaraMusica

Pro

Fair enough. I heard you wrong.
A341

Con

I guess that's the debate over then.
SitaraMusica

Pro

SitaraMusica forfeited this round.
A341

Con

Debate over.
Posted by Innerstrength 2 years ago
Innerstrength
I think it's bsh1 that proves you wrong SitaraMusica. Their argument shows the narrowness of yours.
If you look up pro choice in the same dictionary you will find no mention of the word pro abortion.
You will find "favoring the legalization of abortion", but first you will see "believing that pregnant women should have the right to choose to have an abortion"
It's clear that you just want to label people who believe in freedom of rights as pro abortion.
bsh1's stance is one that I agree with as well as their stance on prostitution.
So I am pro abortion and pro prostitution by your definition but what I really am is pro human rights. I'm confused are you a christian or a communist, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes they both want to control other peoples lives and most importantly women's bodies.
In nature the mother has the choice to decide whether she can support the offspring she has depending on available resources and/or genetic traits but you would not even afford that right to humans. Who are you to decide what a person should do in these particularly hard circumstances?
If your mother sister was raped by a muslim terrorist for instance would you agree to her having an abortion? I wonder.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Posted by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
@mightbenihilism you may comment on what you like, why're you asking me?
Posted by bsh1 2 years ago
bsh1
You're error here is that you're conflating ideas.

Just because I think X should be legal, does not mean I think that X is something that is good or that should be encouraged. For example, I think that prostitution is immoral, but I would legalize it because it at least makes the profession safer. That's an instance where I am pro-legalizing X, but not pro-X.

Similarly, I am pro-legalizing abortion, but I am not pro-abortion.
Posted by SitaraMusica 2 years ago
SitaraMusica
I posted a link proving that proved that prochoice is prabortion. If abortion is acceptable, why do you have a problem being called proabortion?
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Republicofdhar, may I comment on bsh1 and SitaraMusic's stated opinions on abortion?
Posted by bsh1 2 years ago
bsh1
Also--I never said abortion was a good thing or "wonderful." That's a ridiculous straw-manning of my position.

Abortion is, IMO, a bad thing, but not so bad as to merit its criminalization.
Posted by bsh1 2 years ago
bsh1
@Sitara - Saying that I believe abortion should be legal does not mean I encourage or support abortions. I am not "for" abortions; I am "for" freedom of choice.
Posted by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
@mightbenihilism that's an interesting point, but that's not the subject of this debate.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
If there were no abortion, wouldn't there be more crime?
Posted by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
It appears that I was mistaken. If your definitions are up for debate (as I thought), then this topic is very debatable. If they aren't, then this is, in essence, a non-debate. You have defined pro-choice and pro-abortion to be the exact same thing (i.e. A=A). You are challenging your opponent to prove that A=/=A. There is no way that your opponent can do that without subverting the basic assumptions of this debate.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
SitaraMusicaA341Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
SitaraMusicaA341Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded the debate.