Jebediah-Kerman
emil1

Professional Sports Players Shouldn't Get Paid So Much

emil1
Started: 11/20/2013 Category: Sports

Jebediah-Kerman

Pro

I believe that multi-million dollar salaries for people that essentially throw a ball into a hoop or hit a ball with a stick isn't right. I believe that some of the money should be given to the government as a tax or something to help schools or health care.
emil1

Con

I accept. Nice topic by the way. I learned the answer to your question in business class. So I wonder how am I going to continue this for 2 more rounds. Well, I guess we will see........

Here is my introduction.

I believe that multi-million dollar salaries for people that essentially throw a ball into a hoop or hit a ball with a stick is right because of the number of people in the world with the job skill. For example how many great hockey players do you see in this world? Not that much But how many doctors or engineers are in this world? Well, you see a lot. As you see, our taxes does not go toward sports such as NHL, NBA, NFL or etc. It goes for transportation, health care, institutions etc. it is just the needs and wants in society, that gives athletes multi million dollars for the sport they play.
Jebediah-Kerman

Pro

I bet there is a lot more capable hockey players, but some just don't have the chance, or are slightly under some of the others in the tryouts. Because there is such few people, I think they should at least try to balance it out a little, like maybe making a tax for pro sports people on their salaries. I bet they could live on one or two million dollars a year. This tax would go for transportation, health care, institutions, schools, and so much more.
emil1

Con

Rebuttal #1: The need for hockey players and athletes are much higher than any jobs such as doctors or engineers.

Rebuttal #2: "but some just don't have the chance, or are slightly under some of the others in the tryouts." ----- Well if someone gets cut from tryouts, it mean they have to improve. Also it players that are not selected don't earn multi million dollars so your point is completely not logical.

Rebuttal #3: "Because there is such few people, I think they should at least try to balance it out a little, like maybe making a tax for pro sports people on their salaries. I bet they could live on one or two million dollars a year." ----- Haven't you heard of Lionel Messi and the case he had against for not paying tax. Well, we can completely see here that athletes do pay taxes such as #1 soccer player Messi for example. Even Sydney Crosby, LeBron James and Tiger Woods have to pay taxes.

Argument #1: Yet again I will repeat... The need for athl.etes are much higher than any jobs such as doctors or engineers because the scarce number of professional athletes.

Argument #2: Taxes are taken from every citizen even multi - million earning athletes as shown in rebuttal. So it is a win - win situation for us (since we want entertainment), for the athletes (they make a living out of what they do) and for the government/citizens) because the taxes payed goes toward education, health care and others.
Jebediah-Kerman

Pro

Just to make this clear: this argument is about if pro players should get paid so much. Do you agree that Kobe Bryant should get 30 million dollars just to essencialy throw a ball into a hoop?

Rebutal #1: That depends, do you mean the number of jobs, because I daresay that there is a greater demand in numbers for doctors and engenniers than Pro athletes.

Rebutal #2: I mean that there are a lot of capable hockey players, but only a few are selected, so in fact there are lots of potential players.

Rebutal #3: Well, don't you think that those players could live off of much less money, maybe just a few million? The rest could somehow go in taxes to the government or somthing.
emil1

Con

Yes, I agree that professional athletes and players should get paid so much. Such as Kobe Bryant as you have mentioned.

Since you have no further arguments, I will rebut your own rebuttal.

Rebuttal #1: Though there are a greater demand for doctors and engineers and other jobs, there are a greater supply of them. Whereas for pro athletes, there is a greater demand and a small supply of them. Many people in the world are not talented in sports like these athletes so they deserve to be paid a lot for what they do.

Rebuttal #2: Since there is a small supply of these rare talents, owners of teams are willing to pay multi million dollars to keep their talents in their team. Either to earn profit and rivalry issues.

Rebuttal #3: If they not make it then they are not capable of joining the pros. They have to improve a lot. Lastly, those players who don't get selected, they don't earn multi million dollars as pro. They make from $500000 and less.

Rebuttal #4: As I said in my previous rebuttal and argument, pros also have to pay taxes. Those taxes goes to governments and much more. So, players do live off with less money than they actually earn by what they are doing. They are not special in any way except for what they are doing.

Thanks for the lovely debate but I found you were repeating what you were saying over the whole debate.
Posted by emil1 3 years ago
emil1
But great debate anyways
Posted by emil1 3 years ago
emil1
You too, I already new why sports players earn a lot of money in business class in high school. That is why I did well in this debate. Otherwise I would have flopped
Posted by Jebediah-Kerman 3 years ago
Jebediah-Kerman
Sorry for the repeating arguments, I think that you won the debate emil1. Thanks for the good debate!
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
Jebediah-Kermanemil1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: CON had superior- and more reasonable- arguments than PRO. Con wins in a landslide here.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
Jebediah-Kermanemil1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I thought con had better arguments, and refuted pro very well. I would have like to have seen sources used though.