esmith1617
james94

Professional Wrestling is a sport

Started: 2/16/2008 Category: Sports

esmith1617

Pro

I believe that Pro Wrestling is a sport. A sport is defined as "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

The definition says that wrestling is often, but not always, of a competitive nature and i admit that wrestling is not. However sports arent always of competitive nature. Surfing for example, is often non- competitive.

PW also requires much skill and physical prowess. You need strength and a lot of endurance to run around throwing eachother all around the ring like that. The athleticism is remarkeable.

People have always given me a hard time for being a lifelong fan of wrestling. I agree that a lot of it these days is pretty pathetic, but when it comes to athletics you really have to hand it to these guys.
james94

Con

With regard to what you just proposed,I think that Professial Wrestling is there for entertainment purposes , I also find that in pro wrestling you sometimes can figure out who will win the match at the very start due to the fact that some wrestlers throw the matches.

Millions of fans spend hundreds of dollars to fill up stadiums to cheer on their favorite wrestlers , I on the other hand watch it on free tv. These fans also yell at them and boo them .

The Divas are not really wrestlers but very good acrobats, This is not a sport because it is not real competition, but is used for entertainment purposes only.Here is food for thought.

Please prove to me that this is a sport, and not just entertainment.
esmith1617

Pro

I just explained, the definition of a sport is that it is athletic but not necessarily(although usually) competitive. therefore, since pro wrestling it athletic that makes it a sport.when i go surfing, swimming, hunting, or do a variety of sports i am not always competing at them.

also, wrestlers dont just "throw" their matches. the entire thing is choreographed. its like a dance.
james94

Con

In response to your previous statement other sports do have a certain level of competition in them. They also have different levels that they compete in .

For instance swimming it is a sport so you would have competition . In wrestling the winner is already chosen beforehand so they do not compete.

Please define the word athletic in greater detail so to explain what it means in terms I understand . Pro wrestling and WWE are both for entertainment not sports. Here is a question for you or anyone who chooses to try to answer this.

WWE is it choerographed or spontaneous, the same question goes for Pro Wrestling? Can you demonstrate to me how this is a sport if it is for entertainment?
esmith1617

Pro

How many times do i have to explain that sports do not have to be competitive to still be sports? It seems like you are not grasping the definition that I gave in my first argument. It may not be competitive and it may be for entertainment but it is still a sport.

I will define athletics as "of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training."
-strength, agility, stamina are all used in professional wrestling. You have to be strong to lift somebody over your head. you have to be agile and well coordinated to pull off many of those flips and rope tricks and you have to have stamina to withstand the puishment and intense workout of being in the ring.

I have read many books about wrestling and have seen how hard these athletes work.

Kurt Angle, an olympic gold medalist, joined the wwe, and has praised the athlethicism hes seen in the professional wrestling ring.
james94

Con

With all due respect to your first part of this debate I still find no proof that wrestling is a sport. Here is why I find this.Even though Kurt Angle came from amateur wrestling in the olympics to the WWE that does not prove anything. World Wrestling Entertainment shows such people as Jeff Hardy who is an acrobat, also it shows such people as Batista who is all show boat and Shawn Michaels who uses a super kick as his finishing move. All of this is for entertainment and not a sport.

In the Olympics you have to earn medals versus in wrestling you do not have to earn anything. This is a good example of why wrestling is for show and not a sport. In the previous rounds you talked about athletics and you could not clarify or define difference between entertainment this which only brings me to one conclusion that you do not understand what the differences are.

You have not proven in this debate that wrestling is a sport which brings me to the conclusion that you need to research this topic in greater detail before you bring such a debate to the table. Also this brings me to another conclusion that you do not know the difference between entertainment and sports. For example football is a sport because you do not know the outcome of the game where as in wrestling you know the outcome at the very begining. entertainment is for fun versus a sport is for competition. You could not define this or back up your statements Which brings me to the conclusion that you do not know what you are debating. Thank You for the candid debate this was fun.
Posted by pawletoe 8 years ago
pawletoe
wrestling is define and two opponents fighting hand to hand with a purpose to show the opponent has been pinned by forcing the opponent to the mat and having both his shoulders touch the mat for 2-3 seconds (depends on high school or freestyle rules)

as a REAL wrestling I don't see how actors can pick up a totally abled actor's leg for 3 short or long seconds and count that as a pin and recieve a belt....
Posted by james94 9 years ago
james94
we are talking about john cena no john smith thanks.
Posted by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
Did you mean John Cena? John Morrison? there is no succesful wreslter named John Smith.
Posted by esmith1617 9 years ago
esmith1617
i know kurt angle but whos john smith? this debate is talking about professional wrestling(wwe, wcw, tna etc)
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
'ameteur' wrestling is high schools. Pro wrestling can be real wrestling, with people like Curt Angle and John Smith.
Posted by esmith1617 9 years ago
esmith1617
Pro Wrestling is the WWE. You are confusing Pro Wrestling with amateur wrestling which you find in the olympics and in high schools.
Posted by wingnut2280 9 years ago
wingnut2280
I can't believe CON is going to lose this debate. This one is like a give away.

"Please define the word athletic in greater detail so to explain what it means in terms I understand "
What?!? Seriously?

All sports are for entertainment. Why do you think millions tune in for the Super Bowl. Is there any other reason for any sports other than entertainment?
Vote Placed by pawletoe 8 years ago
pawletoe
esmith1617james94Tied
Vote Placed by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
esmith1617james94Tied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
esmith1617james94Tied
Vote Placed by trayhayes 9 years ago
trayhayes
esmith1617james94Tied
Vote Placed by esmith1617 9 years ago
esmith1617
esmith1617james94Tied
Vote Placed by james94 9 years ago
james94
esmith1617james94Tied