shelbymarr
Zarroette

Professional athletes should be allowed to be in the Olympic Game

Zarroette
Started: 2/18/2015 Category: Sports

shelbymarr

Con

They Shouldn't be it be Olympic Games because the Olympics was recreated for fun or peace and Pros bring attitude which makes fights.
Zarroette

Pro

I will assume that my opponent's argument has yet to be posted (seeing as what has been posted thus far is a bare assertion) and I will merely accept this round. I await my opponent's opening arguments.
shelbymarr

Con

shelbymarr forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Pro

I will both construct my own case and conduct a rebuttal so that Con has the ability to respond in the final round, despite the round forfeit.

Premise: Prejudice

According to Dictionary.com, prejudice is: "an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason" [1]. I believe that it is safe to say that prejudice is not a positive or desirable trait to have towards another person, as "opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought or reason" can lead to:

1) Misrepresentation of people

2) Unfair treatment of people

3) Inaccurate understandings of people, thus errors in judgement

I trust the audience to see that all three of these potential products of prejudice are undesirable, but I will elaborate if my opponent decides to challenge this premise. However, as it stands, prejudice is undesirable.

A1: Excluding professional athletes from the Olympic Games is based on prejudiced

On what rational basis can professional athletes be excluded from the Olympic Games? Con offers the reasoning that ["professional athletes shouldn't compete because] the Olympic Games was recreated for fun or peace and Pros bring attitude which makes fights".

Firstly, my opponent has committed the logical fallacy of appealing to tradition by arguing that because the games were created for a certain reason, they should remain that way [2]. There needs to be a reason why "fun and peace" (which my opponent never showed to be the case with any kind of evidence) should remain. Merely stating that it was that way, therefore it should remain that way, commits the fallacy.

Secondly, is it true that all Pros bring attitude which makes fights? Does every attitude of the professional athletes make fights? Not only does Con fail to provide evidence for this too (thus making it a bare assertion[3]), but to suggest that all athlete's attitudes cause fights should be patently absurd.

So, on the basis of my opponent having nothing but bare assertions and appeals to tradition to give argumentation, my opponent's arguments are not based on anything rational, but rather a prejudice against professional athletes. Furthermore, since my premise reminds us that prejudice is undesirable, and my opponent's arguments are based upon prejudice, it follows that we should not accept my opponent's arguments.

Finally, my own arguments suggest that not allowing professional athletes the opportunity to compete is prejudiced, since there does not appear to be a specific attribute that professional athetes have that other competitors do not have, of which should require professional athletes to be excluded from the Olympic Games. Therefroe, if we were to exclude professional athetes from the Games, then this choice would be prejudiced, and thus undesirable.

References

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] http://www.nizkor.org...
[3] http://fallacies.findthedata.com...
shelbymarr

Con

shelbymarr forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
shelbymarrZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited multiple rounds in this debate. S&G - Pro. Con failed to use proper capitalization in the only round posted. Pro had no such errors. Arguments - Pro. Con failed to provide any rebuttals to the arguments presented by Pro. This effectively left Pro standing unchallenged, hence Pro wins arguments. Sources - Pro. Con failed to utilize sources in this debate whereas Pro did.
Vote Placed by ResponsiblyIrresponsible 2 years ago
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
shelbymarrZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
Vote Placed by zmikecuber 2 years ago
zmikecuber
shelbymarrZarroetteTied
Vote Placed by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
shelbymarrZarroetteTied