Professionalism should be practiced no matter where you are

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Professionalism should be practiced no matter where you are.

I completely and respectfully disagree that professionalism should be practiced where ever and when ever you are. To require such a thing would involve the removal of individuality of the people. It removes the right of choice and the right to be who you are. It is never OK to demand upon selective and subjective ideals, that people must act a certain way. If so, I hope people can be forced into a rational mind set and free thinking world view, but that is a pipe dream.

This is my stand and I will let my opponent make his or her rebuttal. Thank you.

You can be individual and still be professional, although I believe there are some things that stand out that you never should do. Tattoos on the face for example (I'm speaking on the point of gang tattoos--where the tattoos cover all or a good portion of the head)--a little intrusive, especially for a professional workplace. Ultimately I believe that professionalism should come 1st in all situations (ie: if you're going to get a professional job, you might want to hold off on gang tattoos for a while--at least until you get a job that doesn't care if you have them or not). Mind Tools gives a great example of this in
Ultimately, there has to be some rules that we go by or the world be in total chaos. So for example, using the tattoo on face example, should the other professional interviewing said to-be-professional be blamed if his 1st reaction to the tattooed individual is disgust or repulsion? Yes, free choice on both parties but ultimately that tattoo could stand between the individual and a paycheck, and which is more important?

Unfortunately, my opponent doesn't bring into account what he/she says in the topic. The topic is very vague and basically says to be professional everywhere, regardless, not necessarily jobs. Sadly, that does in fact remove individuality, as my opponent mentioned, somethings are exempt from that "individuality is not removed". Be it tattoos all on the face, pants down low, one can not nor should judge based how they look. If a person had huge arms with tattoos covering them and still was able to build and repair motor vehicles fine, then what issue is there? By saying somethings should not be, you, by that statement, show that you care only for your own view, which is selfish to throw onto the entire mass based on your personally and subjective view. Instead, you remove peoples choices to do and dress and act as they please, suffering the harsh punishment our current world bestows upon them if such a thing is an issue.

Let me run down a general list professionalism deems and why it does not work.

"Professionals look the part, they don't show up to work sloppily dressed, with unkempt hair. They're polished, and they dress appropriately for the situation. Because of this, they exude an air of confidence, and they gain respect for this."

This is one example. This becomes a judgmental aspect. For example, many people say you should dress to impress, dress for the job you are getting, shave your face, groom your hair and don't come in with messy hair. Issue here is having those 'bad qualities' are only a narrow minded and subjective aspect the professional world has put onto the wok force. There is and has been no real logical reason to have such standards anymore than the U.S. Military basically banning beards for normal soldiers when it was a normal thing far in the past of our nation. If you judge people by the way they address, you will find yourself in a world of prejudice. I don't shave for interviews, I do not dress spiffy for interviews. because what is important in an interview is what I can bring, I might wear cloths based on the job, but my hair, if for retail, wont be combed, face shaved, because it's not needed. Professionalism is a false, delusional mind set to have to think the entire nation or world should follow the standards. Not to mention it is like the war on drugs, limiting peoples choice when such a standard will never work.

One should also not dislike someone to the point they fire them or do not hire them solely on basis of markings they have on their skin. There is no logical reason to dislike it to that manner and to have ones job affected, especially when they show they can do their job. It is also wrong too judge one by their hair and dress style outside of work (especially when I can not see if this is everywhere or jobs), because not only is that wrong and can lead you to the wrong conclusion, it is also contradictory to the very professionalism you try to invoke.

Be Polite

"Be kind and polite and use good manners to everyone you come into contact with, no matter what their role is, and no matter how you're feeling. This might sound unimportant, but it makes a significant impact."

This point here does not work. Nothing should suggest that if one is an arse too you, then you can not be an arse back. I believe that if ever warranted, telling someone how it is, vulgar or not, is perfectly acceptable. I wont stand there on the street as a street preacher yells into a megaphone how I am a homo and should die and more. I mean there are some REALLY aggressive ones out there, by the way. So when times are warranted, it is fine, you should not have to be polite all the time. I am not suggesting fighting though, only if needed.

I do not believe anyone deserves respect. A perfect examples is the U.S., you are almost brainwashed to respect and thank soldiers for defending your freedom. No soldier deserves respect simply for being a soldier, I know because I have personal experience and I even know many in the military. There is an abundance of immature people who deserve no respect for simply being in the military. Respect is something earned, not deserved by being in something, you have to show it. And as such, no man or women should automatically get respect, not young, old or anyone if they do not show it. You can if you want, but you should not be obligated too.

Like wise, no one dserves respect simply because of nothing, they should earn it or they wont need it.

It is against the very nature of professionalism to act onto others because they fail to meet your personal standard, espeically when there is no reason for it, no logical reasoning for it and also rude in itself.

I guess I should first ask how you define the word "individuality" since neither you nor I have defined it yet.
Secondly, my whole point with the "gang tattoos" theory was that some things cause other people to stumble. Tattoos do not generally make me stumble, but for someone else in the workplace, they might. Paul talks about in 1 Corinthians 8:9 that "But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak." Despite our "individualnesses" (an invented word of mine), there comes a certain point where we need to be considerate of others and not do certain things around them. It's not "the removal of individuality" but a step toward professionalism, which in turn garners respect, and which in term garners higher public image in the eyes of the public. This (in my mind) is greatly to be desired--but then I value other people's opinion of me.
Thirdly, I want to address the fact that you mentioned that I was "caring only for my own view" and throwing my desires on other people who did not share my world view. This is a debate, is it not? I'm not shoving my opinion on everyone and being "judgmental" but stating my world view. Nor am I being inconsiderate of your world view because I'm hearing your world view and responding to it just as you hear and respond to mine. It is called "Freedom of Speech" for a reason--so long as it's not defamatory or obscene, I'm fine--as are you.
Fourthly, I want to address the arguments you made against professionalism:
1) I agree with you that what a person can bring to the work place is very important. But what a person is able to convey about the way they care about themselves and other people around them is going to very strongly affect the potential employer. Say for an example, there is someone who gets hired at a fast food place, but they don't bathe. That's going to strongly affect the employer, because of sanitation issues that could affect other people who buy the food and also could get the fast food place shut down for those very reason. I don't count it worth it to loose a job just because I refuse to take care of myself because of "individuality" reasons. I see that as very selfish--the very reason you accused me of earlier.
2) I disagree with you that "politeness" as you termed it should be removed because of a situation. If someone is mean to me, I am in no terms going to let them have it because they "deserve it" in my eyes. I may not agree with someone, but I'm not going to chew them out--regardless of whether or not they are in the professional field. If I respect myself, then respecting someone else comes naturally because I care about their public image just as much as I care about mine. This leads into your third point.
3) I agree with you that there are plenty of immature people in this world, and that probably quite a few people end up in the military. I also agree with you that "respect is something earned" but I also believe that in that same vein falls the fact that "respect is deserved." Anyone who fights in the militia (or reserves for that matter)--and I know quite a few people as well as you do--earns my automatic respect. While I have had family members sign up for the militia, I have not had the pleasure of signing up to fight for my country. It's not something I connect with as something I could do. Work for the militia perhaps--but fight? No--I will leave that duty to those who are brave and willing to do it and I will pray for them. God works much better as my replacement in the militia, then I could do.
As for your conclusion, I disagree that professionalism is just plain "rude;" it may demand some things that you prefer not to have, but it is far from rude. It demands a higher standard of living--one that everyone (at one point in time) had. I am for a return to professionalism--but then that goes back to the way I want people think of me. I would much rather prefer people to think of me as "professional" then not.

Berend forfeited this round.
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
Oops, didn't know I had a round up. My bad, though I also feel I said all I could.
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
I hope you post, Pro. I look forward too this and can not wait. A very intriguing topic.
Posted by Zephani0852 1 year ago
This article from MindTools describes what I mean by professionalism:
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
Can you explain what you mean as to what it is? Like people should be polite and stand up straight?
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
What do you mean by professional?