FolkCat1234
gt500

Progressive Income Tax

FolkCat1234

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for graciously accepting this debate. The structure of the debate is as follows:

Round 1: Acceptance ONLY
Rounds 2-3: Arguments

Thanks, and may the best man win.
gt500

Pro

I am quite intrigued by your presented topic and I hope that that our debate is will be interesting

Begin, if you please
FolkCat1234

Con

Thank you. Let's begin with a history of the progressive income tax.

The first progressive income tax known was implemented in Great Britain in the 14th century. The first American progressive income tax was created by the Revenue Act of 1862, signed by Abraham Lincoln to raise money during the height of the Civil War.[1] Essentially, the progressive income tax kills the drive to succeed. When the rich are taxed much higher than the poor and middle class, it discourages growth. Why would I desire to be rich when the government will take close to half of my earnings? Fact: The top 1% of Americans contribute 37.4% of our tax revenue.[2] I ask: Is this not enough? Would we have the rich pay half of all taxes? While were at it, why not take that wealth and spread it around? The road to hell, or should I say, socialism, is paved with good intentions. A better, "fairer" course of action would be to institute a flat tax, charging all Americans the same rate, being both reasonable and efficient by eliminating all loopholes. You pay 15%. No tax credits or anything. It's that simple. Why should we complicate our tax codes further?

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]http://www.nationalreview.com...
gt500

Pro

gt500 forfeited this round.
FolkCat1234

Con

Vote for Pro. I hope my opponent uses his final opportunity to issue a rebuttal.
gt500

Pro

gt500 forfeited this round.