phantom
whyt3nn3rdy

Progressive Rock

Started: 6/6/2012 Category: Arts

phantom

Pro

This is just for fun and to perhaps discover some new prog rock bands. It will end in a tie. Voters can just specify who they think won in their RFD but no side will win on points.

Guidelines:
Each person posts a song for each round from a progressive rock band.

I'll start.

"Time" is a meangful song from the concept album Dark Side of the Moon. It's lyrics were written by Roger Waters and are about the general theme of time in our every day lives.

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way."
whyt3nn3rdy

Con

Almost didn't realize this was a 24 hour argument debate. Okay, here we go, then.

King Crimson - "In the Court of the Crimson King" is my absolute favorite Progressive Rock song, simply because of it's outstanding lyrics, the powerful message, and the seemingly pleasing aspect of the song in general.

This song was practically the ideal music at the time, because it showed everyone exactly what music could be. Not only the song, however, but the cover was a true work of art. Putting as much work as possible into this song, King Crimson dominated the Progressive Rock era. Sgt. Pepper, himself, popularized the album as a work of art in it's entirety. The prime example of Progressive Rock and what it was able to be, this song is easily the best Progressive Rock song I have ever heard and learned about.
phantom

Pro

Great song choice con! King Crimson are a band I've always loved and they are certainly one of the front runners of progressive rock. The fact that the album came out in 1969, if my memory serves me, also points to how influential and original they were.

I'm going to choose a band who in my opinion are one of the most underrated progressive rock bands of all time.

Their debut album, from which the song was taken, was created in the early seventies when progressive rock was starting to gain its popularity. It features a wonderful prog-rock-typical organ solo latter on in the song. The oppening guitar has also been borrowed from the band Opeth, the main member of whom is a big fan of Camel. At the end of the song, Andrew Latimer plays a very nice guitar solo which is certainly worthy of the common solos you find in progressive rock.

Back to you con.
whyt3nn3rdy

Con

I didn't know other people even knew about this song! Great choice!

For this round, I chose Jethro Tull, "A Passion Play."

http://www.youtube.com...

One of many songs in the era to take a relatively straightforward examination of what happens after death, Tull's "A Passion Play" perplexed almost anyone that listened to it simple for entertainment. At a simple level, however, the examination of what happens after death it perplexing enough to get your mind going. Unlike the hundreds of other Progressive Rock songs, this song's lyrics are clear enough to not be debated over as often. The almost silent introduction almost draws you in and makes you turn up your volume in a ceaseless attempt to gain your attention.
phantom

Pro

Haha, I was planning to use Jethro Tull this round or the next. I love watching Ian Anderson on stage!

The song "Refugees" was written by Peter Hammil about two of his best friends, Mike and Sussie, who immigrated leaving him alone. While it was written because of his two friends it's a song about all refugees over the planet. It's a very beautiful and sad song, bursting with background melodies and various instruments. It was written in 1970.

"We walked along, sometimes hand in hand,
between the thin lines marking sea and sand;
smiling very peacefully,
we began to notice that we could be free,"
whyt3nn3rdy

Con

Van Der Graaf Generator, nice pick!

For this round I'll choose Yes's "Close to the Edge."

This early 70s hit really does go places no other band has done. It is a gold standard that was never surpassed. Every aspect of its execution is virtually flawless. The slow-burning build-up, the crashing intensity of the first several minutes, the majesty of the middle section, to the effulgent conclusion that brings the end right back to the beginning before fading out.
phantom

Pro

You've got to love Yes's guitar work. Good choice!
whyt3nn3rdy

Con

whyt3nn3rdy forfeited this round.
phantom

Pro

Con was unable to get to a computer in time to post a song, so will just post two next round to make up for it.
whyt3nn3rdy

Con

whyt3nn3rdy forfeited this round.
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
I'll ask ronpaul to take away his vote.
Posted by whyt3nn3rdy 4 years ago
whyt3nn3rdy
Unfortunately, I've been away from DDO due to the internet going down. I was absolutely unable to post any videos. Is there any way we can make this a tie? I'm so sorry for that.
Posted by whyt3nn3rdy 4 years ago
whyt3nn3rdy
Alrights
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
Just post two vids in your next round.
Posted by whyt3nn3rdy 4 years ago
whyt3nn3rdy
Noooooo! half an hour late! I just got home.
Posted by whyt3nn3rdy 4 years ago
whyt3nn3rdy
Ugh, posted the wrong link, it didn't embed.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 4 years ago
vmpire321
phantomwhyt3nn3rdyTied
Reasons for voting decision: tie vote!
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
phantomwhyt3nn3rdyTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. Amend: I have been asked to make this a tie, so I will do just that.