gr8laker
FreedomBeforeEquality

Progressive Taxation

gr8laker

Pro

Progressive taxation is crucial to American society.

According to the Tax Policy Center, the top 1 percent of wage earners in the United States were taxed at a rate of 31.6 percent in 2008, while the lowest quintile of earners was taxed at a rate of 1.1 percent. Many consider this beneficial because it means that those who can afford to pay more taxes do, and those who are poor can spend more of their wages on essentials rather than on taxes.

http://www.ehow.com...
FreedomBeforeEquality

Con

I wholeheartedly disagree that progressive or tiered taxation is beneficial for American society.

To put this into perspective ... I am 29, middle class, bought my first house just last year, am raising a family of two. I am by no means that 1%. I paid, however, just over 24% in income tax alone. On top of that I have to pay state taxes and title fees just to get to work for that income. Property tax for the house.

You're worried about 1% of Americans? How about if that other 99% was paying their dues. Even just 15% tax?

I don't blame the few for this disparity, I blame the many. Theres a much bigger group of people out there dicking over our country and progressive taxation slows their financial growth and incentive to change.
gr8laker

Pro

Progressive taxation helps deal with income inequality. Under a flat tax system, struggling households must give up a larger portion of their purchasing power to tax obligations than higher income households. Progressive taxes serve to correct this imbalance.

Also, some argue that it is morally right that those who can afford to pay more in taxes should do so. Those that have very little income should be helped out by those who can afford to help. A progressive tax allows governments to collect money from those who can afford to pay, and uses it to help create a society that is more happy as a result.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Con

I can attest the fact that it does not make for a happy society, because i am currently doing that and am not happy because of it.

Progressive taxation is income inequality. You can't fight fire with fire on this issue. It is quite simply creating an imbalance towards the other direction with the gross majority of us stuck in the middle (high taxes and no benefits ... the perfect storm).

It may be morally right for people who can pay more to do it, but it is morally wrong to make them do it. It takes all of the good out of charity if it is forced. It also takes all the appreciation for that charity out of the equation too. No one getting their welfare check ever sits down at the dinner table and gives thanks for it.
gr8laker

Pro

gr8laker forfeited this round.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Con

"Under a flat tax system, struggling households must give up a larger portion of their purchasing power to tax obligations than higher income households."

They're actually giving up the same exact proportion ... because that's what a percentage is ... a proportion of 100% (the whole).

Some might argue that, but all argue that they don't want to be the ones paying the highest amounts for that to happen. It might be easier to swallow if that money was truly going to essentials alone. But when a person armed with an EBT card gets in front of me at the grocery store and ends up eating better than my family, and that little money they do make goes toward purchasing cable, internet, and apps on their smartphone ... that's when its a problem.
Posted by FreedomBeforeEquality 2 years ago
FreedomBeforeEquality
Lottery. City councils that propose something and ask for commitments of funds. Literally anything that is not mandatory. Charge at point of use! Target only those who do use. Never offset the cost with non-participants money.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
I'd recommend suggesting an alternative model in your debate.
FreedomBeforeEquality
I am yes ... but I haven't felt the need yet to totally side with the rich in the name of freedom and 'go America all over everyone asses' - (Charlie Kelly) just yet.

It seems obvious to me (and hopefully my middleclass majority can relate) that this is not only currently bad practice, but would be bad for them in their ideal rich lives as well. If they are inclined to become wealthy someday ... perhaps its worth looking into now? perhaps they should wonder why that progress towards wealth is so incredibly slow?
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
I suppose he does, but is that the only form of progressive taxation being discussed in this debate? That hasn't been made explicit. Are you against all forms of progressive taxation?
FreedomBeforeEquality
He spells it out in his opening statement about what percentage of people are being taxed what.

I'm taking for granted perhaps that people know his 'progressive taxation' structure to be true, but invite you to consider that his statement that it is good for America is false.

My definition is the same as his I think. I just fall in the middle of its range and disagree with its usefulness is all. The only difference is that he maybe thinks there is some linear distribution in that range. That is not the case. Middleclass is deprived of the benefits to either side (high earnings or gov't benefits).
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
It is ambiguous to me whether you two are talking about the same model of progressive taxation.
FreedomBeforeEquality
Progressive taxation is taxation leveraged harder against higher earners. I thought that much was clear.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
Someone needs to say exactly what they mean when they say 'progressive taxation'.
FreedomBeforeEquality
To pay >24x the amount of another person and get the same lifestyle (house, children, food, etc.) is unacceptable.

Its like the women's rights activists wanting equal pay for equal work. I don't even get that luxury, and I'm a man. Why not start leveling the playing field there (with tax) first rather than any more affirmative action BS.
FreedomBeforeEquality
Forgive me ... 26%. I had to go back and check again because it was bothering me. I paid 26% last year when I was making the minimum pay our union would allow at the time.