awesome
Harlan

Prolly Should Be a Word

awesome

Pro

I think prolly should be a word because...

1. It is easier to spell. I'm not even sure how to spell probably. Is that right?

2. It is easier to say. Probably is three syllables, and makes you trip over your words. Prolly is only two syllables and makes life easier.

3. A lot of people say prolly already. It is used in text messaging, instant messaging, and in everyday talking.

4. Prolly is just a fun word to say. Say it to yourself now. It just makes you want to smile. If it doesn't, then at least it will make other people smile.

In conclusion, prolly should be made a word because typing it over and over again with the little dotted red line underneath it is driving me crazy. No, I'm just kidding. ;-) Prolly should be made a word for people who have accents and say it already will be given a break.

I just like the word prolly and I think that you should too.

Saying prolly is just like people saying yal or ain't, except I don't know how to spell yal. Sorry! Thanks for listening to my silly debate! :-D
Harlan

Con

Thank you starting this debate. It will *probably* be fun.

I've *probably* never heard this term until now, but this is the urban dictionary's definition of prolly:

"Web-slang abbreviation of ‘probably'. Used extensively in forums and instant messsaging worldwide."

I will start by refuting your arguments in respect to their numbers…

1. You, fortunately for my case, spelled "probably" correctly. When large numbers of people are having trouble spelling the words of a language, we do not change the language, we change the people. People need to educate themselves more and learn how to spell words. It is essential for proper communication. We do not make the language dumber, we make the people smarter. Heck why don't we just grunt at each other, for that matter?

2. The difference between 2 syllables and 3 syllables isn't that great. If it takes too long for you to say a 3 syllable word, maybe you should stop hurrying. Furthermore, you can, while speaking, pronounce "probably" as "probly" (as people usually do) and only have 2 syllables. Pronouncing it this way does not make it a different word, but only occurs naturally when saying it fast. In effect, the word probably can be a 2 syllable word.

3. I have never, ever, heard the word "prolly". I will take your word for it, however. The internet and text messages and all types of instant messaging communication are retarding the English language. We can not encourage the over-simplification of man-made language. The more eloquent communication is, the better people communicate. People are being extremely lazy to the point of reducing sentences to acronyms.

4. I said it aloud, and it was actually pretty fun to say. I then realized that you kinda had me at that point, which made me unhappy, and so I did not smile. Thus, it did not make me happy, because it helped my opponent. I don't know if this is helping my case…whatever.

I have not said "prolly" around anyone else to test your second hypothesis. My prediction, however, is that if I go up to a stranger, look them in the eye and yell "PROLLY!" it will not make them smile, but will instead either:

-Make them look at me really funny,
-Hurriedly walk away while avoiding eye-contact,
-Embarrassedly say "I think you have the wrong person…I don't know anyone named Prolly",
-Or beat me up.

"Prolly should be made a word for people who have accents and say it already will be given a break"

Ah, but now you are contradicting yourself. Earlier in this debate you stated "it will make other people smile." Which one is it?! It makes people smile…or makes people give you a hard time about it?! Make up your mind…

Prolly doesn't need to be made a word, because there is already a word with the exactly same meaning: "probably". They sound the same and they mean the same. In fact, prolly simply started as a way to mean probably. Why bother then? We already have a word for that.

PS Who ever said it's not a word?

-Emperor Harlan
awesome

Pro

I'm pretty sure if you ran up to someone and shouted prolly, then yes you would be considered weird. If you did do that thought, then I would consider you pretty dumb because it is obvious that a normal person would use it in context.

As far as probly goes, I do not think that it is normal, and it is definitely not as fun to say. People may say probly, but people also say prolly. Just because the people around you do not say it does not mean that nobody does. You are assuming things that you shouldn't. The word prolly is just as common in my community as probly may be in yours.

As you said before, probly is not a different word than probably. By talking fast, someone may say this but saying prolly also means the same thing.

You also said that the internet and text messaging are retarding the English language. This doesn't cause only trouble though. By learning to abbreviate things quickly, children/teenagers are learning how to take notes faster. By abbreviating words, they are learning skills that they can use in college. Prolly could be one of their abbreviations, but it should be a REAL WORD.

I told you it was fun to say!! :-D

You said I was being hypocritical but when I said that people with accents will be given a break, I meant that people that already say prolly because that is how they learned to talk will not feel weird about saying fake words and having their friends bother them about it. Wow. That was a long sentence. ^

Technically prolly is not the same word as probably. It is different and easier to say. My friends already use it as if it is a real word, so why shouldn't we make it one? VOTE PRO!
Harlan

Con

I will answer each point in turn!

"If you did do that thought, then I would consider you pretty dumb because it is obvious that a normal person would use it in context"

Yeah, well, I'm a pretty dumb and abnormal person! But if it makes people happy, as you would suggest, then why would you also say that people give you a hard time about it?! You yourself say that people who say it are given a "hard time"! You contradict yourself here!

"As far as probly goes, I do not think that it is normal, and it is definitely not as fun to say."

Allright, so go ahead and say prolly for fun, but it doesn't need to be put in dictionaries!

"People may say probly, but people also say prolly."

People may say prolly, but they also say probly. Your missing the point, probly isn't a word! It is just a way of pronouncing probably! It's not a word unto itself! Prolly is also simply a pronunciation of probably, so therefore it can not be its own word!

"Just because the people around you do not say it does not mean that nobody does. You are assuming things that you shouldn't. The word prolly is just as common in my community as probly may be in yours."

I said quite clearly "I will take your word for it"! I never assumed anything!

"As you said before, probly is not a different word than probably. By talking fast, someone may say this but *saying prolly also means the same thing*."

If prolly is also not a different word than probably, why should it be made a word?! If prolly is simply a way of pronouncing another word, then why should it get it's own spot in the dictionary?!

"This doesn't cause only trouble though. By learning to abbreviate things quickly, children/teenagers are learning how to take notes faster. By abbreviating words, they are learning skills that they can use in college."

This is slightly far fetched though, right? OK, yes, there are definitely here and there advantages to abbreviations, but this should not be incorporated into every-day speech.

"I meant that people that already say prolly because that is how they learned to talk will not feel weird about saying fake words and having their friends bother them about it."

Bother them about it? I thought you said it would make them smile.

Hey, you know what's also fun to say?: Vote CON!!

-His imperial majesty.
Posted by awesome 9 years ago
awesome
No it wouldn't. I think I should take that as an insult, but I don't think I will... cause I kind of don't know you. Never mind! :-D
Posted by multislack 9 years ago
multislack
Would it be wrong for me to debate against a 13 year old? :(
Vote Placed by DarkBitch 9 years ago
DarkBitch
awesomeHarlanTied
Vote Placed by Biowza 9 years ago
Biowza
awesomeHarlanTied
Vote Placed by Josh 9 years ago
Josh
awesomeHarlanTied
Vote Placed by LadyA 9 years ago
LadyA
awesomeHarlanTied
Vote Placed by lastronin 9 years ago
lastronin
awesomeHarlanTied
Vote Placed by multislack 9 years ago
multislack
awesomeHarlanTied
Vote Placed by careless-smith 9 years ago
careless-smith
awesomeHarlanTied
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 9 years ago
GaryBacon
awesomeHarlanTied
Vote Placed by electriqued 9 years ago
electriqued
awesomeHarlanTied
Vote Placed by gahbage 9 years ago
gahbage
awesomeHarlanTied