xxLUNCHRUMORSxx
SWfiend

Promote Foreign Language in Elementary School

Con Tied Pro

xxLUNCHRUMORSxx

Con

I negate this resolution to promote foreign language in Elementary school because students will forget what they learned over the years, the way a teacher will teach a student, it will be too expensive for most schools and the foreign language time will become a nap time to some children.

If a child takes a foreign language course in Elementary School and then doesn't learn it in Middle school since they aren't mandatory to take a foreign language then they will forget it by High school since high school is were you are needed to take at least 2 years of a foreign language. The only way children won't forget the foreign language that they learned is if they have continuous instruction of that language. People in the U.S don't forget how to speak English because they are continuously hearing and seeing and reading English words, so unless you're getting continuous instruction of a foreign language then you're going to forget it. If you don't use it, you will eventually lose it!

How will Elementary School teachers teach there kids a foreign language in an understandable way for them? Elementary school teachers can't teach there kids the same way a High school teacher does. The elementary students wouldn't be able to catch on. Some high school students don't even catch on! Will the teachers turn the TV's on episodes of "Dora the Explorer," or even "Muzzy" to try and teach there students? If they decided to do that then it won't teach the children the basic fundamentals of a foreign language, those episodes will only teach Elementary students random words that won't help them make out sentences much.

Since teachers want to help out children with a foreign language in an easy way without watching things like Dora the Explorer because it won't help they have to buy an easy book were elementary students can understand, which will cost more. The cost in adding foreign languages in a school will increase the schools funds because the schools will now be paying for the new foreign language teachers and the books and supplies that they need and if they need more room to fit all these teachers in then they would either make teachers share a room or they would have to make an addition to that school.

"One out of ten students sleep during class," according to Impact lab. Students sleep through Math, Science, and all other core subjects but Elementary students still need those core classes to pass to the next grade. Why make another class for Elementary students to sleep through? Elementary students don't need a foreign language right now...they will just forget it by high school since there not going to be using it a lot. True, some teachers will tell there kids to wake up but they still dose off.

So with the reasons that I have given to you, I hope you negate this resolution also

Thank you!
SWfiend

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for posting this debate, and the readers who have taken the time out of their day to read this. I shall begin.

I would first like to clarify the terms used in the resolution of this debate:
Promote: to help or encourage to exist or flourish. (http://dictionary.reference.com...)
Foreign Language: a language not spoken by the people of a certain place or a language not spoken in the native country of the person referred to. (http://en.wikipedia.org...)
Elementary School: offer[s] education between the kindergarten level and a grade between 3rd and 6th. (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

The ability to fluently speak a foreign language has many helpful qualities. People who have attained such a level in a language have opened many doors leading them to a successful career and life, including increased communication with people who do not speak your native language, better chances of being hired by companies looking for any language skills, the increased competency of your own language, and more. As such, the promotion of foreign languages in elementary school has the potential to bring forth many beneficial consequences later on in a student's educational career. For most students in the United States, it is mandatory to take a foreign language in high school to receive a basic diploma, with additional requirements added on for a more advanced degree (http://en.wikipedia.org...). While the decision of which language a student would like to take in high school is one of the many ways that informing students of foreign languages is useful, it is by far not the only one. The promotion of languages can benefit the pursuit of learning a foreign language earlier in life, such as in middle school or with individual studies, provide information on the broader range of vocational opportunities in life that require the use of foreign languages, and much more. To say that informing students of the beneficial nature of such languages in elementary school is a waste of time is asinine to say the least, for it potentially stifles any educational options that a student has later in life in relation to foreign languages, especially in a country that has an increasingly diverse population of citizens and languages, and a leading role in international relations. It is for this reason that I stand in affirmation of the resolution

I would first like to point out that my opponent has ignored the resolution he himself posted, and instead continued to debate the teaching of foreign languages in elementary schools rather than the promotion of them. As we all know, teaching is the act or profession of a person who teaches. (http://dictionary.reference.com...) The promotion of foreign languages in elementary school can be as simple as informing the students of their beneficial nature in the pursuit of a higher education after graduation from high school, while the actual teaching of foreign languages takes time out of the day to focus on and educate the students in the actual language itself. With this point in mind, my opponent has theoretically shot himself in the foot, for not only has he ignored the resolution, but continued on with a completely different one. It is for this reason that not only are all of my opponent's arguments negated, but my own affirmed. I shall continue anyway to address the arguments at hand.

In my opponent's first argument to negate the resolution, he points out that the promotion of foreign languages in elementary school is not necessary because "students will forget what they learned over the years…". This argument completely ignores the resolution at hand, for it goes on to debate the TEACHING of foreign languages, instead of the promotion of them. As I mentioned in the definitions that I presented, to promote something is to help or encourage to exist or flourish, which, in the context of the resolution, can be as simple as informing the students of the beneficial nature of languages in not only the acquisition of a higher education, but abroad in the world. As such, the argument has been negated.

Again, in my opponent's second point, he has ignored the resolution, and continued to argue against the teaching of foreign languages in elementary school instead of the promotion of them. I reiterate my statement that the promotion of the foreign languages in elementary school can be as simple as informing students of their beneficial nature. The argument has been negated.

In the third point my opponent makes, he openly mentions the teaching of foreign languages, which is not mentioned in the resolution what so ever. As you (the reader) will know, the resolution specifically states "promote foreign language in elementary school", not TEACH foreign language in elementary school. My statement stands. The argument has been negated.

As with my opponent's previous points, in his fourth point, he has failed to address the resolution at hand, and has instead argued against the teaching of foreign languages in elementary school. My statement stands. The argument has been negated.

In my opponent's final point, he presents irrelevant data in relation to the resolution. While sleeping in class is a problem that needs to be addressed, there is no need for this information to be presented in this specific debate. My statement stands. The argument has been negated.

With the points that I have made, I have presented my argument, thoroughly negated my opponent's arguments, and affirmed the resolution.

I look forward to my opponent's rebuttal, and wish him luck.
xxLUNCHRUMORSxx

Con

xxLUNCHRUMORSxx forfeited this round.
SWfiend

Pro

Well, it seems as if my opponent has neglected to post an argument. My statement still stands, her arguments are still negated, and the resolution is still affirmed. If my opponent can refute all of my arguments in the next round, I invite her to do so in the most exuberant of manners.
xxLUNCHRUMORSxx

Con

xxLUNCHRUMORSxx forfeited this round.
SWfiend

Pro

It seems as if my opponent decided not to post an argument again. I'd like to invite my opponent to another debate on this topic if she is willing to challenge me.

Vote con.
Posted by SWfiend 8 years ago
SWfiend
Pro, I meant vote pro!!!!
Posted by SWfiend 8 years ago
SWfiend
Yes, I know. I was on a chess team, I know patience. But she was on yesterday well after I had posted my rebuttal. Maybe I'm just antsy to see how she replies.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 8 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Patience.
Posted by SWfiend 8 years ago
SWfiend
I seriously don't want to win this because my opponent doesn't respond. Not. At. All.
Posted by SWfiend 8 years ago
SWfiend
I would like to apologize to my opponent for saying that she is a he in my first round argument. While I did take time to look at my opponent's profile, I failed to address the fact that she is, in fact, a she. Again, I apologize for this mix up, and hope that it does not affect your (the voter's) decision.
Vote Placed by devinni01841 7 years ago
devinni01841
xxLUNCHRUMORSxxSWfiendTied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
xxLUNCHRUMORSxxSWfiendTied
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
xxLUNCHRUMORSxxSWfiendTied
Vote Placed by Volkov 8 years ago
Volkov
xxLUNCHRUMORSxxSWfiendTied