alohakam
FurryDragon

Prop 56

alohakam has forfeited round #2.

alohakam

Pro

They say prop 56, a $2 on cigarettes is bad because most of the money won't go to helping people stop smoking. I think it great, any amount of tax on cigarettes is good. The more they cost the more likely people will quit. The more tax on them the better. I don't care what the tax is used for. Tax away
FurryDragon

Con

I agree with what the pro side says. "They say prop 56, a $2 on cigarettes is bad because most of the money won't go to helping people stop smoking."

As the pro side has not defined prop 56, let me clarify what it means, from the California state, "Proposition 56 would increase the tobacco tax by $2.00, bringing the total tobacco tax up to $2.87 per pack of cigarettes. The tobacco tax would be levied on other tobacco products and e-cigarettes as well. Revenue from the additional $2.00 tax would be allocated to physician training, prevention and treatment of dental diseases, Medi-Cal, tobacco-use prevention, research into cancer, heart and lung diseases, and other tobacco-related diseases, and school programs focusing on tobacco-use prevention and reduction."

The Pro Side also contradicts themselves, saying that the cost will make people quit, and that prop 56 will not go to help people stop smoking.

Now the main reason as to why you should vote con and negate the resolution is because:

Prop 56 is a $1.4 billion tax hike grab by insurance companies and other wealthy special interests to dramatically increase their profits by shortchanging schools and ignoring other pressing problems.

Also, this tax act cheats schools as well. Almost all of the 43% of taxes go to educational schools, but prop 52 is written specifically to circumvent this.

For all these reasons, you should vote con, and negate the resolution.
Posted by Ben_Franklin_II 7 months ago
Ben_Franklin_II
I read the "con" argument, and he is right. Another tax grab that the state is certain to abuse. That bunch never met a tax they didn't like. I'm voting "no" but i'm guessing that will be useless, since it will pass.
Posted by missmedic 7 months ago
missmedic
Where I live we have free health care, as it is paid by taxing cigs and alcohol.