Pros & Cons: Communism as a Government

Is the government of topic; Communism. A good permanent or temparary government/state as a whole?

Round 1 acceptance I am assuming.

First off, I tip my hat to my opponent!

The idea of communism is that the Government owns ALL property whether private or domestic. Now this sounds quite awful when you think about it because you might say, "I bought this farm, so I can keep this farm, and work on this darn farm too." but the communist regime would tell you otherwise, "We can keep this farm, and you can work that farm and say no more of it.

Sounds bad right? Yes, and no. With the government maintaining ownership of all private property it can maintain economic equality among the people and possibly the region surrounding it. You can also see that a communist government normally is installed during times of depression or recession. This is because the original governments economy is not doing well and the communist regime is put into effect to repair the economy.

A communist government normally tends to industrialize rather than become an agriculture based state. This can be very good for the said governments economy but very poor for the choices between goods and services among the people because the government is most likely only focusing on a small group of goods to produce. But focusing on the small group of production will most likely increase the GDP among the state.

But once again a communist regime is only meant to be a temporary government, meant to repair and restore the economy to a more stable, greater, place. However, these governments normally find a way to maintain power whether by violence, Secret Police, rigged voting, or by way of influence from the media. But sometimes, specifically in times of influence, a government that is communist that maintained power will return to its previous or new government.

A perfect example of this is Cuba, this government was once a communist regime and is now a Peoples Democratic Republic.

So in closing once more if the government is temporary and the original government is returned after the economy is restored, YES. If the Communist regime maintains power, which is likely, then NO.

Well may I just say thank you to my opponent for challenging me on this debate.
First off I am going to mention how unpopular it is (Communism). Only five countries still employ this political regime: China, Laos, Vietnam, Cuba and North Korea. Its not favoured by many countries or governments what so ever because in the long run it never works out. You say that communism is usually applied during times of 'recession' and 'depression' which I can agree with however like you the party almost always remains in charge . For the people this is horrific. China is in a huge mess in my opinion because of its communist regime. The CCP (Chines Communist Party) have ruined Chinas society. Factories they employ people in are dangerous and quite often people will suffer injuries that change there already not so good lives. They can go to court to try and claim compensation however the judges are employed by the CCP and the jurisdiction of the court is also left to the CCP as well as the final ruling. Freedom of speech is not supported. You cant have your own opinion within society. There is only one party: The CCP. Religion may be banned.
There are many more negatives also that I will explain in future arguments if required.

First I would like to address China and their party(s). The Peoples Republic of China or the P.R.C has multiple party's however they do not compete at a national level and are do not participate in the government all to often.

These party's are:

-Political parties in the People's Republic of China
-Revolutionary Committee of the Kuomintang.
-Democratic League.
-Democratic National Construction Association.
-Association for Promoting Democracy.
-Peasants' and Workers' Democratic Party.
-Zhi Gong Party.
-Jiusan Society.
-Taiwan Democratic Self-Government League.

Of course the party that is most popular and is currently in power as the national government is the Comunist Party of China, which has effectively made it a single-party state, this renders most of the opposition useless.

Now this brings me to the economy. The Chinese economy is growing at a constant rate as you can see in this graph at this link.

The communist party has greatly affected the economy, it is soon to surpass the United States and the United Kingdom combined and has a GDP per capita of 6,807.43 USD as of 2013 with a GDP of 9.24 trillion USD as of 2013. The United States with a GDP per capita of 53,041.98 USD as of 2013 with a GDP of 16.77 trillion USD as of 2013. The United Kingdom with a GDP per capita of 41,787.47 USD as of 2013 and a GDP of 2.678 trillion USD as of 2013.

Now Growth Domestic Product per person is quite high in the United States and in the United Kingdom however in China the GDP is larger than the UK's and slightly smaller than that of the United States however if you went to my link it is most likely going to surpass the United States by the year 2020.

Communism can certainly help a economy but can it help the people? Well it does prevent at times, if run improperly, opposition from other party's. But religion is not illegal in China and is not suppresed. Though China's Communist party is by Atheist and party members are prohibited to be dedicated to any religion, recently other leaders have allowed multiple religions to be accepted though they were not banned nor prohibited to begin with.

The following religions are:

- Buddhism
-Catholicism (For political reasons, the Chinese Catholic Church has been separated from the Roman Catholic Church).

So with this evidence sir. Religion is not banned in the Communist regime of China or the Peoples Republic of China.

With this evidence I look forward to your answers.

(Note, I am not insulting you in any way. Should you feel I am, I formally apologize.)

Ok great I get it. Communist regimes do usually improve economy's and thus a country's overall GDP. But that may make a country look good externally but internally especially within China there are major issues that are not properly exploited. The country is industrialized thus meaning people are employed. However the CCP could not care any less about the fact that employees are made to work in extremely dangerous surroundings. Many people lose limbs and thus they take this to court. Surely justice prevails right? Wrong. Courts are rigged as the judges are chosen by the CCP themselves and rule in favour of the CCP meaning they don't have to pay out compensation. I know I mentioned this before hand but i'm just reiterating my point. And about the religion thing I said it 'may be banned'. I did not mean China in general. Your internet freedom is significantly controlled. Everything is filtered. The CCP pays people to post pro party comments on the few social media websites allowed. China even rewrites its history. The young children are educated about this from a young age and made to believe that there has been no problems in the past with China's communist regime. Children can even join a Communist Youth League further strengthening the CCP's grip on the children of the future. Freedom of speech is not supported meaning the public cant speak out on social and economical problems.
Posted by Sciguy 1 year ago
I just ask you to let me know if you will, and do friend me if you would like.
Posted by jacobstokes 1 year ago
Yes I have to say I truly enjoyed it. I look forward to another debate will you in the future.
Posted by Sciguy 1 year ago
It was an honor to debate with you. I wish we may debate one another soon again.
Posted by Sciguy 1 year ago
Please vote on evidence as well as grammar, facts, and sources. Thank you for your time, if you want another debate like this but longer do challenge me.
Posted by Sciguy 1 year ago
What a shame. I was truly hopping that jacobstokes would be active in this debate. If he would like we can do it at a later time if it is contradicting his own schedule. Another factor is that the argument time remaining is quite short.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Alright... so both sides are really giving me a mess of assertions without support. Neither of you is really trying to explain why communism itself is beneficial or harmful, you're just pointing to examples and claiming that the results speak for themselves. I'd say China's a pretty bad example of a good economy, especially considering recent developments, but that's not brought up. Pro mentions freedom of religion, Con freedom of speech, those cancel. All I'm left with is generally good economies and stability versus terrible working conditions and physical harms. Neither of them are really weighed anywhere, but since the economy affects a much broader swath of the population and I don't have a clear idea of just how much oppressive judges and terrible working conditions pervade most communist regimes (or even China for that matter), I vote for the side that's easiest to link to the larger impact, which is Pro.