Harry_Gamtle
ricksterpr0

Prostitution Ought to be Legalized in the US

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

Harry_Gamtle

Pro

First round is for acceptance, and final round shall be free of any fresh arguments.

Please do not debate semantics/troll.

Please do not forfeit.
ricksterpr0

Con

I accept. I look forward to a good debate.
Harry_Gamtle

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting my challenge.

Pros Case

(A) Prostitution Does Not Violate Any Persons Liberties

Primarily, the purpose of making certain activities/things illegal is for the purpose of preserving the rights of individuals. Therefore, it follows that if engaging in prostitution does not violate personal liberties, then this is a reason that it ought be legalized. It is the choice of the person engaging in prostitution alone as to whether or not they shall engage in these activities. It is not the purpose of the government to enforce the subjective morality of certain philosophies and/or religions. (1)

If a person think it wrong/immoral to engage in prostitution, that is perfectly acceptable. They are free to never engage in prostitution, or in hiring one. They may encourage others to avoid prostitution as well, but they may not petition the government to force others to conform to their perceptions of morality.

However, if a person has no qualms with becoming/commissioning a prostitute, and desires to do so, what reason is there to prevent them from doing so? They are not forcing/coercing anyone else to surrender any personal liberties, and therefore it ought to be well within their rights to do so.

The only argument to claim that prostitution is a crime with a victim, is that prostitution can lower the property value of a certain area. This problem is easily solved with simple zoning laws, such as laws that require sex workers to keep their businesses inside of a certain area (such as is the case with many industries).

I. Legalizing prostitution is desirable, as a principle of freedom of choice.

My first subpoint regards the desirability of prostitution. The United States prides itself of being a country that promotes freedom. As citizens we are free to engage in many more actions (for better or for worse) than citizens of other countries. This is also reflected in our capitalist attitudes on the economy. In the civil sense, and economic sense, prostitution ought to be legalized: having it remain illegal is an uneccesary intervention in personal choice from the US government.

(B) Taxes/Regulations Placed Upon the Prostitution Industry Would Generate Revenue for the US Government.

As the trade remains illegal in all states excluding 1, all revenue generated by the trade is untaxed. This untaxed revenue is roughly $20,000,000,000 annually. (2) With income tax (among others) finally being placed on this industry, the US Government could greatly increase it's tax revenue.

I. Regulations would also aid in the prevention/reduction of crimes such as child molestation, human trafficking, etc.

Arguably, the most desirable aspect of legalizing prostitution would be the increased safety for the workers in the trade, as well as the customers. Though only one state has legalized regulated prostitution, the trade still occurs in all US States and territories. In all of these states, workers are abused by their customers and their employers, and children and human sex slaves are traded like livestock. These crimes are obviously much more horrendous and evil than that of prostitution, and they are a product of the illegality of the trade. With the requirements of licensing, and health inspection, prostitutes would be protected from abuse, and infections/unwanted pregnancy. In Nevada, sex workers/customers are required to use condoms, and the workers must go to the doctors monthly for STD screenings. Furthermore, since all workers must be licensed/inspected, there is a greatly reduced chance of the workers being underage, or victims of trafficking. (3)

II. Legalization would free up police resources.

With prostitution legalized, Police forces across the US would have many more resources freed up, enabling them to prevent more serious/pressing crimes. (3)

Summary

There is no strong argument to be made against prostitution that does not violate the First Amendment to the US Constitution regarding the separation of Church and State. All problems presented within the industry are solved quite easily with careful regulation. Therefore, the only sensible conclusion is that the legalization of prostitution is desirable for the citizens of the US.

1. US Constitution, Amendment I
2. http://people.emich.edu...
3. http://www.businessinsider.com...

ricksterpr0

Con

Creating oppotunites like this is abusing and negative overall to women. Women should not be given this opportunity because they will be subject to a life inequity. Allowing such laws, although legallypossible, serve no purpose other than to accomodate sex hungry men. Women in poverty will turn to the streets in a conquest of making money rather than perusing an education. They almost become merchandise. Lower class women without the opportunities will sell out their bodies for cheap money to the corporations. running the scandals. Even with the use of prophylactics STDs can at times be spread. It is only 98% even with perfect usage. Only 85% with typical usage. That sounds great, but a full time prostitute likely has sex multiple times a day. Lets say 3 times a day on average. 3(7)=21. 21(5)= 105

This means that within only 5 weeks, there would be approximately 2 condom failures. Assuming ALL 105 condoms were put on and used perfectly. If 2 condoms are broken in just 5 weeks, then 22 would be broken in a whole year. That means that on 22 different occasions per year the prostitute would be susceptible to STDs and pregnancy while also risking her clients by getting any STDs she may already have. A career prostitute, lets say works 20 years. Within that career on 440 different occasions was she vulnerable to disease and pregnancy. Remember even this is generous, considering at typical use it is only 85% effective. Leading to approximately 497 chances of vulnerability.

That sounds pretty terrrible. If 22 condoms malfunctioned on you every year, you would likely get pregnant often and contract several diseases per year. I would also like to mention that these do not prevent skin to skin diseases such as herpes and Hpv from being transmitted.

As far as the economic benefit, I would assume there are many ways to gain revenue for the government besides legalizing something that will increase the spread of disease and subject young women to terrrible conditions they are forced into.
Harry_Gamtle

Pro

Harry_Gamtle forfeited this round.
ricksterpr0

Con

My opponent forfeited. He has failed to refute the premise of my argument.

Extend my arguments
Harry_Gamtle

Pro

Harry_Gamtle forfeited this round.
ricksterpr0

Con

Well, not much to say.

Extend my arguments
Harry_Gamtle

Pro

Harry_Gamtle forfeited this round.
ricksterpr0

Con

ricksterpr0 forfeited this round.
Posted by assiqt 2 years ago
assiqt
In many European countries it is legal. Many of these women are happily married. They pay taxes like any other job and they go to work as if it was any other job
Posted by Ajabi 3 years ago
Ajabi
I would vote but I do not meet the Elo Res.
Posted by AsianGenius 3 years ago
AsianGenius
Have to make taxpayers pay for medical care for controlling disease.