Kalleth
Cooldudebro

Prostitution Should Be Legal

Kalleth

Pro

Prostitution should be legalized. A bullet point list of reasons why;

-Safer, cleaner services, which also cut down on incarceration and diseases

-Less stigmas and taboos against sex, lust, and the human body

-Economic boosts

-Hurts the human trafficking trade

-Improves overall happiness and decreases stress of the population
Cooldudebro

Con

Konichiwa! Since my opponent has not given me any guidelines to follow, I will post my arguments this round.

Point 1: STDs and How Long It Can Take To Show Up

Sexually transmitted diseases can take a long time to show up in an infected individual. For this argument, I'll be giving three common sexually transmitted diseases along with how long it may take the person to develop symptoms or for it to be detected by tests.

HPV:
Testing:
For HPV, there is currently no testing for men (1)
"The average incubation period, which begins immediately after the initial sexual contact with an infected person, is usually two to three months but can range from one to 20 months. However, when HPV is transmitted from one person to another, the virus infects the top layers of the skin and can remain inactive or latent for months or possibly years before warts or other signs of HPV infection appear. In couples that have not had sex partners for many years, the woman may develop an abnormal Pap smear because of previous contact." (2)
What it causes:
"

HPV can cause cervical and other cancers cancers including cancer of the vulva, vagina, penis, or anus. It can also cause cancer in the back of the throat, including the base of the tongue and tonsils (called oropharyngeal cancer).

Cancer often takes years, even decades, to develop after a person gets HPV. The types of HPV that can cause genital warts are not the same as the types of HPV that can cause cancers.

There is no way to know which people who have HPV will develop cancer or other health problems. People with weak immune systems (including individuals with HIV/AIDS) may be less able to fight off HPV and more likely to develop health problems from it." (3)

Treatment:
There is a vaccine that will prevent some of the strains of HPV before the initial infection.

HIV:
Testing:

"Even if a prostitute is being tested every week for HIV, she will test negative for at least the first 4-6 weeks and possibly the first 12 weeks after being infected.... This means that while the test is becoming positive and the results are becoming known, that prostitute may expose up to 630 clients to HIV. This is under the best of circumstances with testing every week and a four-week window period. It also assumes that the prostitute will quit working as soon as he or she finds out the test is HIV positive, which is highly unlikely. This is not the best approach for actually reducing harm. Instead, in order to slow the global spread of HIV/AIDS we should focus our efforts on abolishing prostitution." (4)

What it Causes:
"

HIV infection weakens your immune system, making you highly susceptible to numerous infections and certain types of cancers.

Infections common to HIV/AIDS
  • Tuberculosis (TB). In resource-poor nations, TB is the most common opportunistic infection associated with HIV and a leading cause of death among people with AIDS.
  • Cytomegalovirus. This common herpes virus is transmitted in body fluids such as saliva, blood, urine, semen and breast milk. A healthy immune system inactivates the virus, and it remains dormant in your body. If your immune system weakens, the virus resurfaces — causing damage to your eyes, digestive tract, lungs or other organs.
  • Candidiasis. Candidiasis is a common HIV-related infection. It causes inflammation and a thick, white coating on the mucous membranes of your mouth, tongue, esophagus or vagina.
  • Cryptococcal meningitis. Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes and fluid surrounding your brain and spinal cord (meninges). Cryptococcal meningitis is a common central nervous system infection associated with HIV, caused by a fungus found in soil.
  • Toxoplasmosis. This potentially deadly infection is caused by Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite spread primarily by cats. Infected cats pass the parasites in their stools, and the parasites may then spread to other animals and humans.
  • Cryptosporidiosis. This infection is caused by an intestinal parasite that's commonly found in animals. You contract cryptosporidiosis when you ingest contaminated food or water. The parasite grows in your intestines and bile ducts, leading to severe, chronic diarrhea in people with AIDS."

(5)

Treatment and its side effects:

There's no cure for HIV/AIDS, but a variety of drugs can be used in combination to control the virus. Each class of anti-HIV drugs blocks the virus in different ways. It's best to combine at least three drugs from two classes to avoid creating strains of HIV that are immune to single drugs.

HIV treatment regimens may involve taking multiple pills at specific times every day for the rest of your life. Side effects can include:

• Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
  • Heart disease
  • Weakened bones or bone loss
  • Breakdown of muscle tissue (rhabdomyolysis)
  • Abnormal cholesterol levels
  • Higher blood sugar levels"
(6)

Due to a character limit, these are all the disease I will cover.

In Conclusion Regarding Point 1:

Many sexually transmitted diseases take a while to show up in testing. For instance, HIV can take up to twelve weeks to show up.

It is unsafe and immoral to approve this type of behavior.

This would lead to more STD infections as quoted by Jeffery J. Barrows.

Case 2: Sex Trafficing

This argument will be quoted:

"Legalized or decriminalized prostitution industries are one of the root causes of sex trafficking. One argument for legalizing prostitution in the Netherlands was that legalization would help to end the exploitation of desperate immigrant women who had been trafficked there for prostitution. However, one report found that 80% of women in the brothels of the Netherlands were trafficked from other countries (Budapest Group, 1999)(1). In 1994, the International Organization of Migration (IOM) stated that in the Netherlands alone, “nearly 70 % of trafficked women were from CEEC [Central and Eastern European Countries]” (IOM, 1995, p. 4). The government of the Netherlands presents itself as a champion of antitrafficking policies and programs, yet it has removed every legal impediment to pimping, procuring and brothels. In the year 2000, the Dutch Ministry of Justice argued in favor of a legal quota of foreign “sex workers,” because the Dutch prostitution market demanded a variety of “bodies” (Dutting, 2001, p. 16).In the year since lifting the ban on brothels in the Netherlands, eight Dutch victim support organizations reported an increase in the number of victims of trafficking, and twelve victim support organization reported that the number of victims from other countries has not diminished (Bureau NRM, 2002, p. 75). Forty-three of the 348 municipalities (12%) in the Netherlands choose to follow a no-brothel policy, but the Minister of Justice has indicated that the complete banning of prostitution within any municipality could conflict with the federally guaranteed “right to free choice of work” (Bureau NRM, 2002, p.19). " (7)

Due to a character limit, that is all I shall post. Arigatou!
Anime OP:
Vampire Knight OP: https://www.youtube.com...
Steins;Gate OP: https://www.youtube.com...

1. http://www.cdc.gov...
2. https://www.health.ny.gov...
3. http://www.mayoclinic.org...
4. Jeffrey J. Barrows, D.O.
Health Consultant on Human Trafficking for the Christian Medical Association
"HIV and Prostitution: What's the Answer?" The Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity
5. http://www.mayoclinic.org...
6. http://www.mayoclinic.org...
7. http://www.embracedignity.org...
Kalleth

Pro

Kalleth forfeited this round.
Kalleth

Pro

Kalleth forfeited this round.
Kalleth

Pro

My apologies to Con, but as I was away from my computer for a week due to stuff IRL, I will fully concede this debate to them. I apologize to a greater extent to the site and its members for my misconduct. I will endeavour to only join and create debates that I intend to finish in the future. If I do find myself in a position where I will not be able to post arguments in a timely manner, I will postpone the creation of that debate to a more appropriate time. I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused. Best of luck, and I hope that this does not colour anybody's judgement of me in a permanent fashion.
Cooldudebro

Con

Wow. What a nice guy. You've got my respect.

Extend
Posted by DynEco 9 months ago
DynEco
I agree with pro! But this is all I can think of for con and sake of devil's advocate..
Pro: Hurts pimping, decreases drug addicts, less rape, more happiness, less stigma, increased revenue from income taxes, more jobs, prettier prostitutes and better services, better sanitation, increased safety regulations, increased public health, egalitarianism, more freedom, and numerous other benefits to society.
Cons: Unhappy libertarians, unhappy prudish people, unhappy religious opponents who don't believe in premarital sex, unhappy old people and xenophobes, unhappy pimps and sex traffickers, hookers have to pay taxes which decreases their profits/wages, prostitutes lives threatened/taken daily, and records of transactions make it easier to defame customers (politicians or other important people in the public eye who will lose their supporters if exposed).
-Unlikely but possible result: All the unhappy people (like, 20% of the pop at most) band together and rise up to burn down the government and country. Anarchy ensues as others see and want to join in to take advantage of looting. Anarchy ensues. Martial law ensues. Tyranny ensues.
Posted by mostlogical 9 months ago
mostlogical
Legalizing prostitution would reduce rape like in Germany. Even though prostitutes are treated well there, feminists i.e. hate filled people, want more German women to be raped.
Posted by ViceRegent 9 months ago
ViceRegent
Same with incest. Cool.