Prostitution Should be Legalized

"Prostitution Should be Legalized"

Prostitution- The work of a prostitute : the act of having sex in exchange for money.

Legalized- To make (something) legal : to allow (something) by law.

1.) Pro agrees to support the notion that "Prostitution Should be Legalized" and Con agrees to support the notion that "Prostitution Should not be Legalized".

2.) Con agree's to waive the last round.

3.) All definitions are accepted by Pro and Con

I would like to thank Con for accepting this debate and ask readers and voters to keep an open mind during this debate. I would like to thank all for participating in this debate.

Thank you Pro for starting this debate. The Legalization of Prostitution is one of my faviorte debate topics. I wish my opponent good luck! ;)

C.1 "Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution and the sex industry promotes sex trafficking"

By legalizing prostitution, we are saying that prostitution is okay. It makes it much easier when legalized, to commit sex-trafficking. Not only women are used for these actions, but children as well. [1] One argument for legalizing prostitution in the Netherlands was that legalization would help to end the exploitation of desperate immigrant women who had been trafficked there for prostitution. However, one report found that 80% of women in the brothels of the Netherlands were trafficked from other countries (Budapest Group, 1999)(1). In 1994, the International Organization of Migration (IOM) stated that in the Netherlands alone, “nearly 70 % of trafficked women were from CEEC [Central and Eastern European Countries]”

As you can read, the statistics hold at 70% of trafficked women. Can we not agree that there are better way for these women to make money then to sell their bodies to men?

But don't take my word for it, it has been proven, that countries or states with legalized prostitution have a higher rate of sex-trafficking.

[2] A study of the impact of legalized prostitution has found that countries where prostitution is legal experience larger reported human trafficking inflows than countries in which prostitution is prohibited.... Professor Eric Neumayer of the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and a team of researchers analyzed data on human trafficking from a global sample of 116 countries in order to determine what effect a country’s domestic policy on prostitution has on trafficking, whether as a country of origin, transit or destination for victims. The authors described international human trafficking as “one of the dark sides of globalization,” where the victims, the vast majority of whom are women and girls, end up being sexually exploited through prostitution."

Many people want to argue that most prostitutes are grown women whom can take care of themselves. Even this is false. Many women are held against their will by their employers to work for them and to get money. But human trafficking brings in more children who are unable to take care of themselves and defend themselves. They are taken advantage of because they are young, unknowing and vulnerable. [2] “Most victims of international human trafficking are women and girls coerced into the sex industry abroad,” said Professor Neumayer. “We wanted to find out if legalized prostitution increases or reduces demand for trafficked women.”The researchers considered two opposing economic theories that could come into play to support their findings: the “scale effect” where legalized prostitution leads to an expansion of the prostitution market, thus increasing human trafficking, and the “substitution effect” that reduces demand for trafficked women as legal prostitutes are favored over trafficked ones."

As a government, their job is to not only protect a citizens' rights, but to ensure the safety of the citizens. Given the statistics of human-trafficking, legalizing Prostitution only leads to a major increase in human-trafficking.

Facts about Human Trafficking:

1. Globally, the average cost of a slave is $90.

2. Trafficking primarily involves exploitation which comes in many forms, including: forcing victims into prostitution, subjecting victims to slavery or involuntary servitude and compelling victims to commit sex acts for the purpose of creating pornography.

3. According to some estimates, approximately 80% of trafficking involves sexual exploitation, and 19% involves labor exploitation.

4. There are approximately 20 to 30 million slaves in the world today.

5. According to the U.S. State Department, 600,000 to 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders every year, of which 80% are female and half are children.

6. The average age a teen enters the sex trade in the U.S. is 12 to 14-year-old. Many victims are runaway girls who were sexually abused as children.

7. California harbors 3 of the FBI’s 13 highest child sex trafficking areas on the nation: Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego.

8. The National Human Trafficking Hotline receives more calls from Texas than any other state in the US. 15% of those calls are from the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

9. Between 14,500 and 17,500 people are trafficked into the U.S. each year.

10. Human trafficking is the third largest international crime industry (behind illegal drugs and arms trafficking). It reportedly generates a profit of $32 billion every year. Of that number, $15.5 billion is made in industrialized countries.

11. The International Labour Organization estimates that women and girls represent the largest share of forced labor victims with 11.4 million trafficked victims (55%) compared to 9.5 million (45%) men.

It's obvious, Human Trafficking is immoral. Why on earth should be legalize it knowing the major consequences, especially to children who have no choice.

C.2 Violence and Abuse

When women don't wish to be a prostitute anymore, they can just leave. This is very incorrect. They may be able to leave if they are half beaten to death, or they may just be killed.

[4] A prostituted woman might also be afraid of what her pimp will do to her and afraid for her life if she tries to leave. For many women, prostitution and sexual exploitation might be the only life they know. The average age for girls entering prostitution is between 12-13.** And studies show that 75 to 95% of all prostitutes were sexually abused as children.***

Prostituted women are often victims of intimate partner violence by pimps and customers, often called “johns.” The methods of control that pimps and johns use are similar to the methods used by abusers. Some examples include:

• physical violence;

• sexual assault;

• economic abuse or manipulation;

• isolation;

• verbal abuse;

• threats and intimidation; and

• minimization and denial of physical violence.

"Women in prostitution have a death rate that is significantly higher than women who are not involved in prostitution.* One small study of 130 prostitutes found that 68% of the prostituted women interviewed met the criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), which was in the same range as combat veterans and victims of torture."

Knowing the consequences for being involved in Prostitution only goes to show that it's okay for women to be abused, killed and held against their will by their pimps. As a government, as stated before, the government should be ensuring citizens safety, not encouraging violence.

Explore Campaigns

I would like to thank Con for posting their opening round. I would also like to point out that I will not be responding to con this round, as I will also be posting my opening round.

What is prostitution? According to the definition posted above, prostitution is the act of having sex in exchange for money. That is all prostitution is; it is a business exchange between two people, one person providing a service, and another person receiving the service. This is the same with other forms of businesses. For example, in a pizzeria, a restaurant provides the service of selling a pizza to a customer, and the customer eats the pizza, thus receiving the service.

(1) Prostitution is nothing but a business interaction.
As stated in the introduction, in a pizzeria, the act of providing a pizza and the act of a customer eating said pizza is a business interaction. It's simple as that. But, people seem to have an objection when it comes to prostitution. BUT the very act itself is a business interaction.

(1a) What I want you to do is imagine the pizzeria scenario again. I will assume that con finds nothing objectionable to the selling of pizza to a customer. Now, I wan't you to make some changes to the scenario. Instead of a pizzeria, imagine that there is a brothel. Instead of pizza, imagine that it is a man/ women. Instead of the man/ woman giving the customer a slice of pizza, the man/ woman gives the customer sex. It's plain and simple. Now, why the objection? One possible objection is the taboo that society has on selling sex. A poll has shown that 48% of Americans are for keeping prostitution illegal, while 38% of Americans are for legalizing prostitution, and the rest are unsure. (
Clearly, there seems to be a societal taboo on prostitution. Also, this article (although not important to my argument, but still is an interesting read) should outline this point accurately.

The Pro's of Prostitution

(1) The Government Will be Able to Tax the Industry
I believe that it goes without saying that the government will be able to tax the industry, just like any other industry. If legalized, the government would make more money, which in turn would (hopefully) be used in the general public's interest.

(2) There Will be Safer Conditions for Prostitutes
National arrest figures for prostitution range over 100,000 ( What this already shows is that prostitution is illegal (which is the whole point of this debate, but I thought I could reinforce that point). Now, 62% of prostitutes have reported having been raped in prostitution. 73% reported having experienced physical assault in prostitution. 72% were currently or formerly homeless. 92% stated that they wanted to escape prostitution immediately. A Canadian Report on Prostitution and Pornography concluded that girls and women in prostitution have a mortality rate 40 times higher than the national average. ( I would like to remind everybody that these terrible atrocities are being committed WHILE prostitution is illegal. If we wan't to stop these, we cannot stigmatize prostitution and condemn it to be illegal; we must legalize it. This is so necessary regulations and constraints can be placed on the business of prostitution, which would greatly improve the working conditions of people working as prostitutes.

I would like to than Con for accepting this debate, and I look forward to what seems will be an interesting debate.

Thank you Pro!

I will now begin by rebutting Pro's points.

Rebuttal #1 "Prostitution is nothing but a business interaction."

To an extent Pro is correct. It is a business industry. A deadly and violent one. In my previous argument, you can read that by legalizing Prostitution, more things will come about. If we legalize prostitution we're saying it's okay. More violence will take place, and the rate of human-trafficking will increase. I even used a quote that had shown that in countries where Prostitution was legalized, human-trafficking increased [1] ."A study of the impact of legalized prostitution has found that countries where prostitution is legal experience larger reported human trafficking inflows than countries in which prostitution is prohibited"

We cannot say that Prostitution is a business. [2] "because it will always be associated with crime, corruption, class, mass sexual exploitation and human trafficking."

How could we call this business when we are just promoting Human-trafficking and crime. [2] "It's wrong to promote the fact that one person buying another is legitimate. To us, this is nothing more than human trafficking, and it's completely unacceptable."

Pro brings up a "Pizza Scenario" saying that Prostitution is like someone selling and buying pizza. This is completely out of line with the topic here. For 1. Pizza is not illegal, while Prostitution is in some counties. 2. It's illegal because of the negative impacts and outcomes. 3. It promotes even more dangerous crimes. His pizza scenario is completely invalid.

Rebuttal #2 The Government Will be Able to Tax the Industry

The government may be able to tax a small portion, but it isn't worth the horrible effects Prostitution causes. If we were to tax Prostitution, even *more* Human-Trafficking would occur. Because apparently by the government, by taxing it, they are okay with these outcomes. Not to mention, can we guarantee that these prostitutes will even pay their taxes? If not, they will be put behind bars, unable to work, which means no taxes.

Rebuttal #3 There Will be Safer Conditions for Prostitutes

Pro argues that by legalizing Prostitution, Prostitutes will be safer. This is again, false. Let's think of reasons as to why Prostitutes get beaten from men in the industry. 1. Not wanting to perform sexual acts at that moment. 2.Wanting to leave the Prostitution industry. 3. Talking back or misbehaving. All of these action will happen even if prostitution is legalized. There will always be violence in this industry. Making it legal will not make all of these actions disappear. Employers and customers will commit these violent actions no matter what.

Now, if we made Prostitution illegal, and yet people continued to do it, many people would be thrown in jail. Probably more pimps, meaning that theese women wouldnt be abused from their employer because they are behind bars. Making it illegal would make it much more harder to continue their business. Also, while their employers are behind bars, those who want to leave the industry have a greater chance to do so. Therefore, making it illegal would lower violence.

Back to Pro!

1 & 2-

Pase66 forfeited this round.

Pase66 forfeited this round.

I would like to apologize to my opponent and readers for my utterly terrible conduct during this debate. Due to my terrible conduct, I ask that voters vote for con in all categories, thus crowning him the winner.

I would like to thank all who took part, and apologize again for my terrible conduct.

Vote Con.
Posted by belladb8s 1 year ago
I love debating this, pro legalization, if you wish
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
I'd debate you on this Lee if you want here in a week or so?
Posted by Pase66 1 year ago
You post your argument round 1.
Posted by Lee001 1 year ago
Or we can do this structure:

R1: Acceptance from con.
R2: Arguments from both sides
R3: Rebuttals from both sides
R4: Conclusion
R5: Waive.
Posted by Lee001 1 year ago
Do you mind if I post my argument in R1?
Posted by TGambit 1 year ago
You know it will raise the cost for you when they are charged for medical coverage and 401ks :P
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.