Exigence
7536658

Prostitution isn't immoral from a logical perspective

7536658 has forfeited round #2.

Exigence

Pro

I often encounter people who view it as extremely evil, but I just don't get that view. Does anyone who holds that opinion care to logically explain why it's bad?
7536658

Con

First off, I'd like to give a definition of Prostitution. The oxford dictionary describes prostitution as "[t]he practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment." [1] I will use this definition, if pro has any objections I will be open for new definitions.

The oxford dictionary also states that the origin of this word comes from the Latin prostitut, meaning "exposed publicly, offered for sale" [2]. Most of the prostitution here in Germany where I live is illegal and thousands of women are infiltrated from eastern Europe. Mafia buys women in illegal slave markets, brings them to Germany and sells their bodies. These women often have unsafe sex with hundreds of men. They are treated rough and don't really get something for their "work". I hope you understand my point in how this is immoral and should be forbidden. In the second round I will argue why also prostitution from people wanting to work as prostitutes is immoral.

[1] https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
[2] https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
Exigence

Pro

To organize my responses and make them easy to read, I'll respond to specific chunks of your arguments, surrounding them in quotation marks. I'll number each response, too. Good luck in the debate. ^^

Let's begin:

1. "First off, I'd like to give a definition of Prostitution. The oxford dictionary describes prostitution as '[t]he practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment.' [1] I will use this definition, if pro has any objections I will be open for new definitions."

Sounds good.

2. "The oxford dictionary also states that the origin of this word comes from the Latin prostitut, meaning 'exposed publicly, offered for sale' [2]."
Ok.

3. "Most of the prostitution here in Germany where I live is illegal and thousands of women are infiltrated from eastern Europe. Mafia buys women in illegal slave markets, brings them to Germany and sells their bodies. These women often have unsafe sex with hundreds of men. They are treated rough and don't really get something for their 'work'. "

Yeah, I guess. Problem is, I'm talking about voluntary prostitution in which both of the people involved benefit--not the cruel human trafficking against somebody's will that was just discussed. You're right; human trafficking is objectively wrong, and I agree with that. The women are treated rough, which they don't like. And they don't get much for their work, which they also don't like. It is also against their will, which they don't like. Therefore, it is bad. Easy. However, this does not prove the basic idea of prostitution that I'm putting into focus is immoral.

The way I'm seeing it is: person A goes up to person B (person B being a voluntary prostitute). Person A gives person B money to have sex (the amount of money per hour is literally decided by person B). Person B agrees. They have sex. They both walk away happy. Let's compare it to human trafficking:

>Is the prostitute treated rough? Nope, and if something undesirable happens, person B can easily leave anytime and go do something else. No one's being forced to do anything.

>Is the prostitute getting sufficient money in return for what they're doing? Well, they're literally the one deciding their income, so"

>Is it against the prostitute's will? No. It's 100% optional, otherwise they wouldn't even be engaging in prostitution in the first place.

In my opinion, person B is actually really lucky because they're getting payed for feeling pleasure.

One of the major problems I see is, when some people hear or see the word "prostitution", they immediately connect it to different things that are actually immoral, such as human trafficking, rape etc. Human trafficking contains that basic idea of selling someone's body, sure, but it's forced while prostitution isn't. As a result, comparing human trafficking (forced prostitution) to normal prostitution because they both involve the selling of sexual services is similar to comparing rape (forced sex) to consensual sex because they both entail sexual intercourse, or similar to comparing the act of one person getting jumped in a dark alley by some thug (forced fight) to some person voluntarily participating in an organized MMA fight because they enjoy fighting.

4. "I hope you understand my point in how this is immoral and should be forbidden."

Yeah, I understand that human trafficking is immoral and should be forbidden. But I still don't see how that proves prostitution itself is immoral, which you said you will discuss in the second round.

5. "In the second round I will argue why also prostitution from people wanting to work as prostitutes is immoral."
Okay.
Posted by 7536658 10 months ago
7536658
Hey, I`m really really sorry...just had three exams in two days and a ton of work to do plus my Internet is kind of giving up, which made me not be able to post my next argument in time....would you accept it if I posted it in the comment section? If not, I will claim the third debate round for that ;)
Posted by Exigence 11 months ago
Exigence
Sure. @7536658
Posted by 7536658 11 months ago
7536658
I'd take the debate, if we only do three debate rounds.
Posted by Masterful 11 months ago
Masterful
But why do you need 5 rounds for this? change it to 3.
Posted by Masterful 11 months ago
Masterful
Yeah I don't get it either. Gotta love a good hoe.