tylergraham95
Intentionalist

Prostitution ought to be legalized in more areas of the United States

tylergraham95

tylergraham95

Pro

First round is acceptance only.

Second is construction only.

Third and fourth may be used for rebuttals and defences.

Fifth and final round is for summarization only. No new arguments. No new rebuttals. You may only restate/clarify your previous points/rebuttals.

The BOP is shared.
Intentionalist

Con

tylergraham95

Pro

thank my opponent for accepting my challenge! I look forward to a fun and interesting debate!

I will start by defining my argument with three contentions.
My contentions are as follows:
A) It is the choice of the person as to whether or not they engage in any activity regarding prostitution (Becoming, or hiring one)
B) Laws against prostitution are invasive to the personal choices of Americans and, therefore, not as the founding fathers intended.
C) Regulations and taxes on prostitution could generate revenue for the US government.
D) Legalization with regulation would help prevent other more serious crimes/troubles such as Human Trafficking, Child molestation, Pimping, and the spread of infectious disease.

My first contention regards the rights of each individual to choose for themselves. Any person wishing to engage in prostitution or to employ a prostitute should have the right to pursue that choice, assuming that they aren't infringing upon the rights of others. A person should not be able to force someone into prostitution, or force them to hire one. If a person chose to become a prostitute for money, empowerment, excitement, etc. that is their choice. The same is true for anyone wanting to hire a prostitute. This also strongly relates to my second contentions

My second contention is that laws prohibiting prostitution are A) usually based on religious morals and therefore against the ideal of separation of church and state and therefore unconstitutional, and B) against the non-interventionist civil libertarian ideals of the founding fathers. This is evident in that laws against prostitution prevent people from their inalienable right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. If being a prostitute is what truly makes you happy, or is necessary to reach another happiness, then you should be allowed to become a prostitute.

My third contention is that regulation of prostitution and taxation could bring in extra revenue for the US government. If states put a special tax on prostitution there would be a significant increase in local GDP. Prostitution and pornography account for a whopping $122 billion dollars of untapped GDP in he US.

My fourth contention regards the safety of prostitution. Human trafficking, violent abuse, child molestation, and the spread of infectious disease all spawn from the fact that prostitution is illegal and therefore not under any kind of regulation. (2) With prostitution legalized, the victims of said crimes could be better protected, and said crimes could be prevented, through organizations such as OSHA and ICPR. Prostitutes could work legitimately, and find better job safety. They wouldn't be dependent on a pimp. With licensing and organization, prostitutes could be given health benefits by legitimate employers, and protected from violent customers. Prostitutes AND their clients could be protected from disease through licensing, testing, condoms, and other safety measures that could be achieved through organization, legitimization, regulation, and, ultimately, legalization.

I think I have clearly shown that the benefits of legal prostitution in the US shows great promise.

I await my opponents response eagerly!

1.http://www.csub.edu...
2.http://www.mapsofworld.com...

Intentionalist

Con

I too hope for an interesting discussion!

Reasons why prostitution should be prohibited are the following:

1) There are more moral manners to acquire monetary assets, goods or services rather than prostitution.

Prostitution defies with the moral foundations onto which modern society was erected. Numerous people believe there are some acts which should not be exercised as they will lead to deterioration of society. Prostitution is one of them. How would one acknowledge his parents that he intends to be a prostitute?

2) Problems of scientific progress.

One could decide to engage into prostitution rather than to acquire education which would benefit progress. Everyone could choose aforementioned occupation and neglect their formal education, therefore leading to a smaller number of educated people which would involve into scientific business. US scientific research would be significantly lowered which would lead to stagnation of economy, society and general advancement.

3) Preparation for business of prostitution.

How would one prepare for prostitution? One does not require formal or any other education for this. This indicates that all the years of education were meaningless and therefore a purposeless waste of taxpayers' money. If a law would be imposed that you can only involve into prostitution after you reach legal age, by which one will have concluded his education, money spent for education of such an individual would be futilely wasted. However, if one were to involve into prostitution prior to the legal age, it would be a juvenile prostitution. And every child in the USA is obliged to participate in formal education.

4) Society's response.

Society would ridicule those individuals which would perform prostitution because trading your own body in sexual manner is considered immoral. Furthermore, those who consume prostitution services could regard providers of of aforementioned services as sexual objects whose sole purpose is to satisfy others' sexual needs. Prostitutes often do not legally participate in prostitution as they are deprived of their anonymity.

5) Regulations.

Regulations of prostitution would create unnecessary expenses.Furthermore, the fact that some regulators are corruptible, could enable some to violate regulations for prostitution thereby leading to juvenile prostitution, exploitation of sexual workers, evasion of taxes.Additionally, introduction of regulations would not guarantee security and eradication of criminal activities. Legalisation would lead to an increased demand of prostitutes which could increase human trafficking.

Sources: http://voices.yahoo.com...
http://aphilosopher.wordpress.com...
tylergraham95

Pro

I thanky my opponent for their response

Rebuttals

"There are more moral manners to acquire monetary assets, goods or services rather than prostitution."

Just because something is immoral, doesn't mean it should be illegal. The purpose of the U.S. government isn't to enforce a moral code, but instead to protect the rights of man. Take murder for an example. Although most people agree that murder is immoral, the reason it's illegal is because it violates your rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Many religions (such as Christianity, Buddhism, and Islam) consider greed and abundance to be immoral. Being greedy and living in abundance is not illegal in America though. You have the right to partake in any action that does not infringe upon the rights of others. If the prostitutes is consenting, and the customer is consenting, then it ought to be legal. Furthermore, prostitution is not universally immoral. Many religions (like Christianiaty and hinduism) have provisions for "Sacred Prostitution" in their holy texts. This point is primarily weak because just because their are other options doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue this one (nor does it mean that if you pursue this one it is the ONLY one you can pursue).

"Problems of scientific progress."

"One could decide to engage into prostitution rather than to acquire education" This point is entirely speculative and without substantiation. One could also decide to engage in skydiving or traditional kabuki performance rather than recieve an education. Hiring prostitutes is entirely the choice of the customer. Becoming a prostitute is entirely the choice of the individual. Furthermore, someone with an interest in science who is eligible to attend college (the person most likely to contribute to science) would not logically choose to become a prostitute full time (as science would likely pay much better and bring more satisfaction). Unless, of course, they truly loved prostitution, in which case keeping it illegal would be denying their right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

"Preparation for business of prostitution."

Well any business has finances. The education that everyone recieves through the school system is versatile, and a knowledge of math, statistics, and finances could giver a prostitute the competetive edge they need. Furthermore, education is valueable purely for the sake of knowledge. Just as a scientist may not need to memorize a shakespearean sonnet to effectively develop pharmaceuticals, knowledge of shakespeare makes them more interesting as a person, and more happy in general. "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Ben Franklin. This applies to any job, including prostitution. Personally, if I were to consider hiring a prostitute (albeit unlikely) I would prefer one that I could converse with pleasantly and intellectually as well

"Society's response."

Society is not uniform, especially in America. Not everyone has the same values. Furthermore, making something illegal because those who do it would be ridiculed is a notion that is just plain silly. Should we make it illegal to be a dork? Should we make it illegal to LARP? No! You should be able to do what makes you happy regardless of what one individual may consider acceptable.

"Regulations."

Does my opponent have an exact number regarding cost? I think not. Furthermore, the revenue that would be generated by the money spent by the prostitutes would help the economy. Legal prostitution means more jobs. More jobs means less people on welfare. Less people on welfare means less money taken from the government via welfare. Less people on welfare also means that more people are circulating money into the economy. Furthermore, the prostitutes could be required to pay fees/taxes that cover the cost of regulation. The same could apply to brothels. The money paid to a prostitute would be taxed under the income tax in both brothels and independant workers.

In summary

The majority of my opponents points are irrelevent, easily solved with legislation, nonexistent, or less important than the benefits that I pointed out in R1.

VOTE PRO!

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Intentionalist

Con

Intentionalist forfeited this round.
tylergraham95

Pro

A regrettable forfeit. I hope my opponent can return soon.
Forward all points.
Intentionalist

Con

Intentionalist forfeited this round.
tylergraham95

Pro

Forward all points.
Intentionalist

Con

Intentionalist forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Bullish 2 years ago
Bullish
tylergraham95IntentionalistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
tylergraham95IntentionalistTied
Reasons for voting decision: It is a pity that Con forfeited the debate, as such conduct goes to Pro. Pros arguments were more logical as they did not rely on emotional response from societal influences but rational response. Pro wins arguments as Pro rebutted COns arguments and used sources other than blogs and Yahoo answers.