queenofmayhem
Thoughtispower

Prostitution should NOT be legalized!

queenofmayhem

Pro

Or at least, not entirely. Most victims (yes, victims!), a.k.a. prostitutes, are dragged into a ring during their most vulnerable moments. Whether they be teenage runaways or a single mom trying to feed three children, this path is rarely chosen by choice and nearly impossible to escape.
I believe any prostitute (whether that be male or female) should be admitted into a rehab or hope program rather than jail. This will supply them with an escape route, a chance for a better life.
However, when it comes to pimps and johns, I believe the renting of another human being's body and forcing them to submit to sick fantasies and violent rapes is something society cannot allow. Any male or female involved in selling or renting a human should be punished, and punished with lengthy sentences as well, so as to send the message that the world will accept this sick trade no longer.
Thoughtispower

Con

Prostitution is a rather disgusting trademark of society that America has been carrying on for quite some time. However, it should be allowed into our system. The average American citizen has the right of freedom under the constitution, and us being in a capitalistic country, we have our own say. Prostitution is a choice made by the public, if they're on unemployment, then that's their option at times. Using the term "victim" isn't a good terminology for this subject. The prostitute chose to be in that kind of business, and was not forcibly dragged into any situation. Evaluating your comments on prostitution, you might be confusing it with rape. Your stating that they're forcibly enacting in unwanted sexual interaction with another being, however, prostitution is all about sex for money, the prostitute chose to have sex. On the other hand, there is no need for rehabilitation, as sad as it is, the uneducated proportion of America needs to make money to live, and this is a choice. I'm not saying everyone should become a prostitute or it is a good trade, I'm simply stating that everyone has the given right to do what they want to do, and that is what truly gives the country's name "Land of the Free".
queenofmayhem

Pro

Well said. Yes, this country is all about freedom of choice, but what if someone's choices is hurting the people around them? Someone may choose to rob a bank,, however it harms other people, so this is illegal. If we look at prostitution from non-moral standpoint, it should remain illegal and be discouraged due to the fact that it will potentially bring harm to both individuals involved.

One main point that those who believe in the legalization of prostitution is that it can be regulated by the government. In particular, require prostitutes to take weekly tests so as to ensure that have not been infected with any sexually transmitted disease. However, after about an hour of extensive research, I can prove that this is ineffective. For example, should someone be infected with HIV, they encounter a 'window period' which lasts often 3-6 months. During this period, all HIV tests will return negative due to the fact that the body has not begun to produce the antibodies necessary to identify the disease. Key point: Government regulations will of no help to put an end to the notorious terminal illness, AIDs, which should prostitution be legalized will be running rampant in the streets.

Now I shall address the logical concepts of this issue. Around 45% of prostitutes were forced into the trade as a child and have yet to escape. The average age of a "woman" entering prostitution is 14 years old. Imagine that. A young girl, just beginning to explore possibilities of love and dating, is thrown into the sick world of sex trafficking. This soon will become all she knows; her idea of being loved is being forced to perform sexual acts on men old enough to be her father and being threatened and in many cases beaten and raped. Prostitution is an emotionally damaging trade, and if you remain true to the statistics, it is a rare few that go in by choice. That number diminishes even more when you look at how many women who have tasted prostitution feel content and wish to continue with it.

With these facts in mind, you must take into consideration the enormous safety risks of the matter. A woman alone with a man, with no choice but to do his bidding, whatever that may be. Once she is on the job, there is no getting out; to do so would risk the wrath of her pimp or, perhaps even worse, the wrath of her john. I personally can testify that a perfectly polite and seemingly kind man can change in a heartbeat once he gets worked up (a.k.a. horny) and then denied. I do not by all means suggest that every man is like this, but I feel it is safe to assume that one who is willing to buy a woman to perform sick fantasies will most likely go along with this pattern. In summary, whether this be legal or illegal, prostitution subjects a woman to the high risk of rape, assault, and worst case scenario, death.
Thoughtispower

Con

You've going astray in to the matter of rape once again. As you said in the last paragraph of your argument, they're forced to abide by the man's desires, but isn't that the job? With being forced to partake in this area as a child, I did some research of my own and the percentage you've given is off. As of 2014, there are currently 312,000,000 individuals in America under the age of 18. You stated 45% is 100,000 when 1% of the actual statistics is 3,120,000. Sex trafficking for children is not lightly taken, but you also must consider how there are the authorities to go to. As you said about the risk of disease, it's what one would expect in the business of prostitution. No one would walk in there without any knowledge of risk, every choice must come with a consequence. Their freedom of choice should still be exercised and they have the right to take part in prostitution, and not be confined by the morals of the community. There would be no freedom if morals is what set that right away. As you said in the beginning, look at it from a non-moral standpoint when the morality of the business is what really makes people hate it, not the statistics. In conclusion, freedom is not hurting people, but doing good more than bad. If you partake in prostitution, you should expect the bad things. It would be if you went to a fine restaurant and ordered a steak, then when the waiter brings you the steak, you complain that it's not what you asked for. To go into prostitution and complain about its downfalls is hypocritical, and everyone should have the right to do as they please. Regardless of their consequences, it's the outcome of their choices and that's what we learn from.
queenofmayhem

Pro

Oh yes, that is exactly the job. But it is a job that walks hand in hand with rape. What I meant was there is a very fine line between doing the job and being raped or assaulted. Rape and assault is illegal, isn't it? Prostitution puts women at the man's mercy, probably one of the worse positions a woman could be in. I think you misunderstood; I stated that 45% of now overage prostitutes were forced into the trade as a child.

Like I said before, I do believe wholeheartedly in freedom of choice, but not when someone's choice negatively affects others or our society in general. One could say that johns or prostitutes had it coming to them if they do get infected. Every choice has a consequence. However, what of when they sleep with someone else? Not another prostitute, but a wife or girlfriend? Now all of a sudden we see innocent people getting hurt. And I am not talking about something small; I am talking about a terminal illness with no known treatment.

And what of the emotional damage? I believe I have already covered how emotionally damaging this trade is for a prostitute, but what of our society? Already, girls and woman are being sent terrible messages through the media, like that their worth is determined by the size of their waistline. What effect will society finally accepting prostitution have on young girls? It will send messages to girls that you don't have to get an education or be successful to make a living, you have to be physically attractive to men. We will lose potential doctors and writers and artists to the darkness of society. Which is where I shall restate my claim. Johns and traffickers benefit from the trade while compromising the emotional and physical wellbeing of each individual woman and damaging the status of women as a whole. They should be punished; and women most definitely should be sent to rehab. I know if I wasn't, I would not be in the place I am now.

Prostitution is a very old trade, but how does that make it right? Whether you believe it should be illegal or not, we mustn't ignore the tremendous dangers and the countless stories from those who have escaped. Whether it be legalized or not, who's to say anything will change? There will still be rapes and assaults and homicides. There will still be abusive pimps and HIV will still be rampant. In the words of one anonymous survivor of prostitution, "Legalization will not end the abuse, it will make the abuse legal."
Thoughtispower

Con

As you've stated, rape is affiliated with prostitution. You must also take note about how they signed up for that kind of treatment, its a repetitive understatement of how you should expect what the job comes with. I did not misread your statement about the child sex trafficking. I am simply pointing out how the number of underage prostitutes is so low compared to the total population, that it is not a global conflict to be taken harshly. Although child sex trafficking is horrible, the government has much more problems to deal with than prostitution. With sleeping with loved ones without force, of course there is consequence to that choice as well. So then should we just outlaw sex in general? It was the choice of the partaker to have sexual intercourse and must face the consequences. To conclude my final argument, prostitution does not have a positive effect on the youth of America in any aspect. Prostitution is a low-profit business and it does not encourage girls to abandon their education for this business. I thank you for the argument and thank you to all the readers, I hope you vote based of evidence and not morals. Thank you for your time.
Posted by Hanna 3 years ago
Hanna
Pro's argument listed the danger of catching an STD - a danger that is associated with sex in general rather than prostitution. Con was more focused on countering Pro's argument rather than explaining the potential benefits of legalizing prostitution.
Posted by zmikecuber 3 years ago
zmikecuber
Mikal has done this topic many times and is quite good at it. If you step your game up, queenofmayhem, you might consider debating him.
Posted by Thoughtispower 3 years ago
Thoughtispower
Thank you Amoeba, it is much appreciated.
Posted by AmoebaMan 3 years ago
AmoebaMan
I wish I had it too. But it looks like you're going to make basically the same argument I would've. Godspeed to you.
Posted by Thoughtispower 3 years ago
Thoughtispower
I am sorry I took it first, but I'll make sure to win on your behalf :)
Posted by BobTheLibertarian 3 years ago
BobTheLibertarian
Uhh I wish I had this debate:(
Vote Placed by Geogeer 3 years ago
Geogeer
queenofmayhemThoughtispowerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Now pro made better arguments, however did she meet the burden of proof. Her contention was that by far the majority of girls are forced into the with a great many doing so under age. Con asserted that this is merely an offer and acceptance situation. I believe that Pro showed that this is essentially a choice made under duress in too significant a percentage of the workers.
Vote Placed by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
queenofmayhemThoughtispowerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither person provided any sources, however, pro did not take into account the number of women who make a conscious decision to go in to the business of prostitution, whereas con presupposed it. However, Pro has Burden of Proof, and did not fulfill the requirements of BoP, mainly because Con was able to remind Pro that there is a conscious choice involved. Pro made more fallacious arguments, which does not lead to a convincing argument. The main reason i am voting con is that Pro did not fulfill BoP, partially due to fallacious arguing, partially due to points raised by Con.
Vote Placed by Hematite12 3 years ago
Hematite12
queenofmayhemThoughtispowerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments were hopelessly unintelligible, and continued to construe prostitution with rape even after Con called them out on it at multiple points. Sex trafficking is an entirely different issue from general prostitution.
Vote Placed by BobTheLibertarian 3 years ago
BobTheLibertarian
queenofmayhemThoughtispowerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am pretty upset with this debate. It focused too much on the current system of illegal prostitution and not enough on legal prostitution. The pro makes the assumption that little to nothing would change under a legalized system and the con failed to point this out.
Vote Placed by judeifeanyi 3 years ago
judeifeanyi
queenofmayhemThoughtispowerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Though con made some arguments, but he didn't rebut most of the arguments made by pro. And secondly, both debaters lack good moral fibre in debate. Grow up