aasib
UltimateRussian

Prostitution should be Legal

aasib

aasib

Pro

This section of the argument will just be used to define some key terms. My opponent only need say that he/she accepts in his part of round 1. Round 2 will be where the actual debating begins.

prostitution-the practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment.

moral-concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character

immoral-not conforming to accepted standards of morality

legal-permitted by law

I eagerly await a response.
UltimateRussian

Con

I accept this debate and look forward to meeting you on the field of debate. Good Luck! You may have the first turn to argue.
aasib

Pro

Prostitution is a victimless crime. When all goes well (i.e. there is no violence) neither the john nor the prostitute is victimized. I think we can agree on this. If we cannot, please correct me in your response, and we will discuss accordingly. However, there are lots of horrendous cases of violence between the client and service provider (but I will get to that later). If all goes well, no one gets hurt. Thus, it is not an immoral practice because questions about ethics and morality relate to the happiness and unhappiness of beings that have the potential to feel such happiness and unhappiness. I have no ethical need to interfere when I see a plant destroyed. However, if I saw that a human was about to be crushed, I would have an ethical need to interfere. Therein, seeing that prostitution causes no harm to sentient creatures in its most innocent form, the laws and the enforcement of such laws in our country represent a massive waste of human energy. Campaigning against something that causes no harm to sentient creatures is quite foolish and is a massive waste of time and energy. We would not reasonably campaign against the eating of salad.

Now, of course, the above shows only why prostitution in its most innocent form (no violence) is not immoral. Clearly, those who commit violent crimes against prostitutes are not moral people and the situations that arise because of them are quite tragic. Also, these situations are quite common. According to law.com, 204 prostitutes are murdered out of every 100,000. This is 20 times the national average. The average prostitute is beat no less than once a month. So, what are we to do to prevent these innocent but desperate people? What I propose to counter this is something like Amsterdam's red light zone. Prostitutes provide their services in a neighborhood specifically designed for such. They work in a building that is not their home, so potentially violent customers do not know where they live. Perhaps most importantly, there is an alarm button which immediately calls the police over if there is any sign of trouble. This would almost effectively eliminate all of the violence committed against prostitutes. In the system we currently have, prostitution is done in back alleys and places with no police thus the opportunity for violence is high. This, of course, leads to high levels of violence against them, but we can stop it via legalization.

Another argument for legalization of prostitution is it would decrease the amount of STDs passed via prostitutes. The same study on laws.com that was mentioned earlier states that 50% of the world's prostitutes have HIV. Of course, since their profession is illegal, no prostitute is going to get a doctor to get tested for an STD. We should have, nationally, a system like we have in Nevada. A prostitute is required by law to wear a condom, and they must be tested weekly for STDs. Thus, legalizing prostitution will help hinder the currently massive growth of sexually transmitted diseases. The proof of this is the effectiveness of the Nevada system at stopping STDs. The porn stars of Los Angeles have higher rates of STDs than Nevadan prostitutes. A Nevadan prostitute has not been diagnosed with HIV since 1986. Compare that with the shocking figure of fifty percent, and it is easy to see why prostitution should be legalized.

Just to be clear, what I suggest is a combination of the rigorous testing of Nevada and the red-light district of Amsterdam. Prostitutes would work in specific zones, have a button that would summons police immediately if the client is in any way doing something harmful. There would be no abusive pimp or middleman between client and servicer. This system would effectively end almost all of the violence against prostitutes, inhibit STDs, and free up manpower wasted on Vice departments in police to be used for the pursuit of actual criminals.

http://www.businessinsider.com...
http://prostitution.procon.org...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://sex-crimes.laws.com...
UltimateRussian

Con

First off all the fact that there is massive safety measures in your area does not matter because it is not the same in all areas. Prostitution is immoral as the point is artificially modifying ones body so that you can get free sex and money without giving any real effort. This creates lazy. And weak minded people who cannot truly work for their living. As sex used to be a private personal thing companies and lazy people are taking advantage of this to earn money as this is what prostitution is i have proven my points valid.
aasib

Pro

Thank you for responding so quickly. I, unfortunately, cannot respond at such a pace. I remain convinced of my position and unconvinced of yours despite the arguments you have made. I feel they do not provide sufficient evidence to support the continued illegalization of prostitution. So, without further ado, here are my counter arguments. First, however I'd just like to point out that the area in which I live in, like most of the areas within the world, does not have "massive safety measures" for prostitutes. It should but it does not. The act is illegal. All of those measures is how we should go about providing safety to prostitutes.

Moving along to your second point, you believe that since prostitution is "artificially modifying ones body" it is therefore immoral. We may be using different definitions of the word prostitution, but I use the widely accepted one that I listed in my round 1. I do not know how you got the modification of one's body idea, but that is not what I am talking about. For the record, seeing as artificially modifying one's body provides no harm to a sentient creature, then it would not be immoral.

Your next idea is that prostitution creates "lazy. And weak-minded people who cannot work for a living." Now, I am not sure if you are talking about the johns or the prostitutes themselves in this situation, so I will address both. Unless you provide proof, we can safely assume employing prostitutes has no correlation with not working (those who didn't work would have no means of employing prostitutes, so the reasoning is a tad contradictory). If you mean the prostitute themselves, you are still wrong. No wants to be a prostitute, or at least not a majority of them (a recent survey dissevered that 92% of American prostitutes want to leave the profession but cannot due to lack of money for food). Why would they? Prostitutes, generally, are financially desperate people in bad neighborhoods doing the only thing they know how to (and probably the only thing they can) make money. The fact that it is illegal and it is still so prevalent shows how desperate these people are. If they had anything else they could do, they would have done it. The idea that they are simply lazy, is frankly ludicrous.

"As sex used to be a private personal thing companies and lazy people are taking advantage of this to earn money." First, what is the oldest profession? Prostitution is certainly up there. There are references to prostitutes in many ancient cultures, including some of our Holy Books (Koran, Torah, Bible). So the idea that sex used to be private personal thing is absurd. Of course, some people view it this way. I view it this way, and I would not employ prostitutes if they were legalized, but there have always and will always be other views on sex (else prostitution would have died out long ago). Also, I have already dealt with the lazy people idea, but am confused on what you mean by companies, as in my model there would be no companies running the show. Elaborate in your next response, please.

Let's say that we accept that all you say is true, that it is immoral, that it creates lazy and weak-minded people. Even if we accept all that (which I don't) then it is still not enough to justify the monthly beatings of 1 million people. That number is just for the United States. I await your response with anticipation.
UltimateRussian

Con

Most prostitutes have boob enlargements and as they are willing to add artificial parts to themselves to attract attention most prostitutes are also idiots, they are not smart and because they either took drugs or only cared about dating as a kid they have no or little education. By legalizing Prostitution, eventually kids would be seeing phonographic images in advertisements and our population would grow to large as people would be reproducing without knowing what they are doing and committing to, the government will then have to pay those people under the assisted living and child raising program creating even more debt.
aasib

Pro

As you seem to have ignored all of my previous arguments in favor of making yours which have no correlation of what I have said, I will assume you accept all of them. If this is true, I am not sure why there is sill a debate, but I will still go over your arguments. I am not clear what your point is with the education of prostitutes or the relative intelligence thereof, but if it is in fact what it appears to be, then I really have no response to that. It appears to be "Prostitutes are dumb, therefore prostitution should be illegal." You might as well say, "prostitutes are dumb, therefore we do not need to protect them from potential abusers as we do our smarter citizens." Is this not an accurate summary of your point? Enlighten me if it is not.

Most prostitutes have boob enlargements? Evidence, please. Also, though I don't know if they have studies for questions so logically obvious (i.e. do poor people have expensive surgeries?) but I'd willing to bet the answer is a well and resounding no. Even so, the logic behind the idea that prostitutes have breast enlargement surgeries, therefore prostitution should be illegal is murky at best.

"By legalizing Prostitution, eventually kids would be seeing phonographic images in advertisements and our population would grow to large as people would be reproducing without knowing what they are doing and committing to, the government will then have to pay those people under the assisted living and child raising program creating even more debt."

This is a very long cause and effect sentence. Unfortunately, most of the "causes " have no correlation with the "effects." Legalizing prostitution has no correlation with seeing pornographic images in advertising (seeing as the prostitutes would be in a special district, and there would be no pimp). Next, our population would not grow large as, by law, condoms would be worn. So therefore, the whole assisted living idea and the increasing debt idea are both eradicated.
UltimateRussian

Con

But Sex is a terrible thing to do constantly, there are many other things that are much better for you and think of it this way. In America anything that can make money is swallowed up by the fascist CEOs and then advertisements appear by legalizing prostitution ads would begin to appear everywhere. First of all prostitutes should not be doing this anyway so we do not need to protect them at all. People who consent to an act made to be a very private and gentle thing has been exposed for profit, this is disgusting and prostitutes as well as porn should be banned deleted and erased from our society to make things a better place so more people can focus on science, math and having fun... NOT THE DISTURBING version of fun.

You have clearly lost the debate sorry son ! :)
Vote Placed by codemeister13 2 years ago
codemeister13
aasibUltimateRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro used factual sources in their opening statements and cited each place in which they received their facts. Con made rather bland refutations of Pro's contentions and failed to address them in a proper manner, thus making them ineffective, to say the least.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
aasibUltimateRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments are significantly better, far better warranted, impacted, cited and explained. All of Con's arguments are base assertions, the majority of which are blatantly wrong. Worse still, Con is completely nonresponsive to Pro's case, and drops his own in each successive round. Seriously, spend some time defending your arguments if nothing else, this was just sad.