jayvon
stschiffman

Prostitution should be legal

stschiffman

jayvon

Pro

I am hoping for a great debate with whoever accepts this case. I will be arguing that, under certain circumstances and societies, prostitution should be legalized, and I will clarify what those qualifiers are in my opening argument.

Whoever accepts this debate will be arguing that prostitution should not be legalized.

Hope to debate you soon!
stschiffman

Con

I accept your challenge, for I do not believe prostitution should be legal under any circumstances. Good luck.
jayvon

Pro

jayvon forfeited this round.
stschiffman

Con

I will be arguing that prostitution should not be legal because I believe it is unethical, that it degrades women, it would lead to a public health crisis and problems with children.

First and foremost, the obvious; it is unethical for a woman, or a man, to sell themselves away for money. Even if they consent to it, it is still wrong. I predict my opponent will say something along the lines of "My body, my rights", and that's what I'll get to later.

Second off, what kind of society would we be creating for ourselves if we allow prostitution. A society that basically believes that women are good only for sex work? That's not the kind of society I want to live in, or the kind of society I want the next generation to grow up in.

And than there are the two downfalls of prostitution; the spread of STDS, and the unwanted children. I have no doubt that no matter how much government regulation there is, the spread of STDS would lead to a public health crisis. And imagine how many children the prostitutes would have. And don't say "Just get abortoins" because abortion is even more unethical than prostitution itself.
jayvon

Pro

jayvon forfeited this round.
stschiffman

Con

Like I said, prostitution would create more burdens for society than anything else. It would lead to more unwanted children, a rise in STDS, and worst of all, more abortions. There are only two reasons I can think of why people like jayvon would want it legal. 1) To generate tax revenue. 2) For the claim "I want to do it."

1. The tax revenue would be dwarfed by the costs to the medical system

2. Simply wanting to do it does not justify legalization. If I said I wanted to do meth, would meth become legal?
jayvon

Pro

jayvon forfeited this round.
stschiffman

Con

As I've said, prostitution is simply unethical, and will inevitably lead to more harm than good if legalized. Those are my final thoughts on the subject.
Posted by Overhead 8 months ago
Overhead
I think the qualification "under certain circumstances and societies" makes this a little unfair.

After all that means that if you show there is one tiny benefit in one tiny circumstance in one unrepresentative type of society, then you have won your argument. That doesn't seem to relevant to the greater topic of prostitution throughout society.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 7 months ago
dsjpk5
jayvonstschiffmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con. Con also was the only one who made an argument, so arguments to Con by default.